Arthrosis is accompanied by degenerative changes in the tissues of the joint. This leads to deformation of the joint and to a violation of its functions. Therefore, the treatment of arthrosis should be aimed at the maximum restoration of the initial structure of the joint and the normalization of its activity.
Basic principles of treatment
Complex treatment of joint arthrosis, like any other negative process, has 3 main objectives:
- Effects on causes leading to arthrosis;
- Elimination of negative pathological processes accompanied by arthrosis;
- Elimination of symptoms of arthrosis.
Based on this, the main areas of treatment include:
- Elimination of severe co-morbidities;
- Body weight correction;
- Improved nutrition of articular cartilage;
- Inhibition of local inflammatory reactions and their consequences - edema of soft tissues and intra-articular fluid accumulation;
- Stabilization of the joint and expansion of the volume of movements.
To this end, the following methods of treating arthrosis are used:
- Therapeutic gymnastics;
- Traditional methods of treatment;
- Surgical intervention.
The choice of these or other methods of treatment of arthrosis depends on the stage and severity of the process. It should be noted that degenerative changes in arthrosis are irreversible. And the main task of treatment is to preserve the structure and functions of the joint and prevent complications.
Perhaps this is the most widely used method of treatment, during which preparations of various groups are used. Anti-inflammatory drugs like steroid( Dexamethasone, Diprospan) and non-steroid( Diclac, Voltaren, Indomethacin) series effectively eliminate inflammation and pain in arthrosis. A steroidal anti-inflammatory drug is injected into the joint cavity, where it exerts its effect at the local level, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are combined in the form of tablets, ointments, and injections.
Chondroitin is a biopolymer that is part of the cartilage and articular fluid. The most important component of chondroitin is glucosamine. These two substances, glucosamine and chondroitin, are included in many drugs and biologically active additives used for arthrosis
However, anti-inflammatory agents for arthrosis do not play a major role. The best drugs for this disease are chondroprotectors. After all, they repair the cartilage tissue, which was affected during arthrosis. This is a fairly extensive group of drugs, the main form of release - ointment( Chondroitinic, Chondroxide, Hondroflex) or tablets( Sructum, Chondroitin Complex, Arthron Khondreks).To achieve the desired effect, these drugs must be taken continuously for 2 or more months.
Now there are qualitatively new varieties of chondroprotectors made on the basis of hyaluronic acid, which is part of the connective cartilaginous tissue and intraarticular fluid. This is Synvisc, Fermatron, Ostenil. The injections of these drugs are made directly into the joint cavity. The course of treatment contains 3 to 5 injections. Then a year later it is repeated again.
This is how the knee joint puncture and intraarticular administration of the drug
Vitamin D, A, C, Group B and minerals calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, chromium can be used to restore cartilage in addition to chondroprotectors. Strengthening blood microcirculation in the tissues of the statute also helps improve the metabolism at the local level. For these reasons, intravenously drip Pentoxifylline, Trental.
Treatment of osteoarthrosis of the shoulder joint
Treatment of arthrosis with folk remedies involves the use of natural products of natural plant or animal origin through topically applied ointments, flavors.
Below are the ways of using these tools:
- Melt the propolis. Then mix it with the same amount of vegetable oil( corn, walnut, sunflower).Blend the mixture, and lubricate the affected joint at night.
- Thoroughly grind 20g hellebore caucasian. Then add 5 g of mustard powder, 10 g of vegetable oil and 20 g of honey. Mix, warm in a water bath, then cool. Lubricate the affected joints. Store in a dark place.
- Grind a few fresh juicy cabbage leaves. Then use the juicer to squeeze out the juice from them. With the resulting juice soak a clean cloth, which is then applied to the joint in the form of a compress.
- Oat flakes in the amount of 3-4 st. Spoon the spoons with boiling water and cook over low heat so that a thick gruel will turn out. This gruel is applied to the joint in the form of a compress.
- Thoroughly chop the chalk and pour it with ryazhenka, sour cream so that a thick mixture is obtained. Apply this mixture to the affected joint. Thus it is desirable, that chalk was "school", pure, and sour-milk products - natural house preparation.
- In 100 g of alcohol dissolve 50 g of camphor and 50 g of mustard powder. Add whipped egg white 2-3 eggs. All this carefully mix. If all proportions are observed, an ointment must be obtained, which is rubbed into the joint, affected by arthrosis.
It should be noted that traditional medicine eliminates mainly the symptoms of pain and inflammation, but practically does not affect the restoration of the joint tissue. Therefore, traditional medicine for arthrosis can not be regarded as a self-sufficient therapeutic method.
In the course of physiotherapy procedures, inflammation in the joint is eliminated, local metabolic processes are accelerated, the strength of the articular tissue and its elastic properties are increased. For this purpose, magnetotherapy, UHF, paraffin, and ozocerite are shown.
Recently, qualitatively new hardware techniques have been developed, through which the treatment of arthrosis with laser or ultrasound. The effect in these cases is more pronounced, and it comes faster. In addition, recently appeared portable devices, thanks to which sessions of ultrasound and laser therapy can be carried out at home. To do this, it is enough to fix the device on the problem joint for 15-20 minutes. Nevertheless, this method of treatment may have contraindications, and therefore before using the device should always consult a specialist doctor LFK.
Therapeutic exercise is designed to stabilize the joint, strengthen the nearby muscles and expand the range of movements. Considering that arthrosis most often affects the hip and knee joints, health gymnastics is designed to involve the lower extremities. In this plan, leisurely walking, static loads with lifting, bending and dilatation of the lower limbs in the prone position are shown.
Effects on various muscle groups with arthrosis. Types and sequence of the exercises
Positive action in arthrosis is provided in the swimming pool. At the same time, running, cycling, sports, dancing and other intense loads that lead to pain, with arthrosis are contraindicated.
All of the above conservative methods are not effective in advanced stages of arthrosis, when the articular cartilage and the underlying bone are almost completely destroyed.
As a rule, this is observed in large joints - in the knee and hip. In these cases, the problem is solved surgically - the damaged joint is changed to an endoprosthesis. In the recovery period after surgery or a course of conservative therapy, recovery in climatic or mud resorts is indicated. Sanatorium treatment should be combined with proper nutrition, excluding fats, easily digestible carbohydrates, sugars and other products that promote weight gain.