Otitis is an inflammation of the ear canal. Inflammation can be caused by infection, allergy and other causes.
High efficiency of treatment is given by ear drops at otitis.
Causes of otitis and symptoms
- 1 Causes of otitis and symptoms
- 2 Treatment of otitis with ear drops
- 3 Treatment of otitis in children
Otitis is most often caused by an infection. It appears in the ear canal due to a cold, injury( a scratch or a prick), which can damage the skin in the ear canal and cause inflammation.
Other reasons include the following:
- Swimming. When water enters the ear canal, inflammation often occurs.
- Unfavorable weather conditions.
- Skin problems. Eczema and psoriasis can affect the condition of the ear canal and cause otitis externa.
- Removing earwax( cleaning the ears) can lead to inflammation.
- Middle ear infections can cause external otitis media.
Symptoms include acute shooting pain in the ears, fever, malaise. Often inflammation is accompanied by the appearance of a common cold. Sometimes there is a feeling of itching in the ear canal, swelling. In severe cases, temporary blunting of hearing or deafness is possible.
Treatment of otitis with ear drops
The ear drops are most often used to treat otitis. They usually contain antibiotics to eliminate the infection, reduce inflammation and itching in the ear canal. With external otitis earplugs, it is recommended to use 7-10 days before the symptoms disappear completely.
The purpose of these or those ear drops in otitis, the price of which can run from low to high, depends on the causes of the disease. In total, there are 4 types of ear drops that are used to treat external otitis.
To eliminate fungal infection in the ear canal, the patient is prescribed antifungal drops for instillation into the ear. If there is swelling in the ears, use corticosteroid preparations in the form of drops or sprays. Acidic preparations help kill bacteria that contribute to vital activity in the ear canal of pathogens.
Antibacterial ear drops are used for purulent otitis. Sometimes, drugs combining the action of antibiotics and corticosteroids may be prescribed.
Treatment of otitis in children
For the treatment of ear infections in children, it is important to choose the right drug, the action of which will be directed directly at eliminating the true cause of inflammation.
Baby ear drops with otitis are also divided into 4 types: antibacterial, acidic, corticosteroid and antifungal. Which of them to choose in this or that case, the ENT doctor will tell after an individual examination of the child. Not always the best earplugs should be expensive, at times cheap ear drops in otitis can be more effective than their expensive counterparts.
The procedure for instilling ears in children is similar to that for adults. However, after instilling the ears of the child, it is recommended to attach cotton wool to the sick ear and put on the hat to create the effect of a kind of warmer. For severe pain, the child should be given pain medications, for example, ibuprofen or paracetamol. The course of treatment with ear drops is 1-2 weeks, depending on the severity of otitis.
Treatment of otitis with ear drops: instruction
Ear drops can not bring the desired effect at all, if you do not apply them in the right direction. For the treatment of drugs in the form of drops, it is necessary to follow certain recommendations that the drug substance enter the ear canal.
- Remove earwax from the outer ear, thus it is not recommended to use ear sticks, they only push the sulfur deep into the ear canal and clog it.
- Ear drops slightly warmed up, since a cold solution when ingested in the ear can aggravate the inflammation process, as well as cause dizziness.
- The patient should lie on his side, the sore ear should be directed upward through the auditory meatus. Enter the desired number of drops in the ear canal. In order to avoid an airlock, you need to massage the ear lobe a little.
- Lie on your side for 3-5 minutes, so that ear drops do not leak out of the auditory canal. The ear canal should be left open to ensure normal drying.
- If necessary, repeat the manipulations for the second ear.