Often there are situations where the acidity of gastrointestinal juice rises sharply in the gastrointestinal tract. Hydrochloric acid is excessively secreted for a long time, which leads to the appearance of characteristic symptoms: a severity in the stomach, discomfort in the digestive tract, and excruciating burning, called "heartburn".
If such symptoms are repeated often enough, you need to consult a gastroenterologist for advice and examination. The most common causes of increased acidity and associated symptoms are poor-quality food, frequent stresses, side effects after taking medications, bad habits. Temporarily relieve the condition will help the drug from the group of antacids - Maalox, showing its medicinal effect after a few minutes.
- 1 About Maalox( gastrastide)
- 2 Application of Maalox
- 3 Forms and method of application
- 4 Contraindications to the administration of Maalox
- 5 Overdose and side effects of
About Maalox( gastrastid)
The therapeutic effect of this drug is achieved byThe fact that it neutralizes hydrochloric acid, reducing its concentration, decreases the activity of peptides. Maalox envelopes the walls of the stomach, protecting its mucous, reduces pain in the upper gastrointestinal tract. When it is used, adsorption of bile acids, pepsin, and lysolecithin occurs.
This preparation has practically no side effects due to the fact that it consists of simple chemical compounds( magnesium and aluminum hydroxides) that trigger simple chemical reactions. Aluminum hydroxide, which is part of Maalox, gently irritates the sphincter separating the esophagus from the stomach, thereby increasing its tone. Together with magnesium hydroxide, they help to establish the acid-base balance of gastric juice.
Maalox closely adjoins the gastric mucosa, which has a rather complex surface relief. This feature of the drug provides a reduction in pain - a full therapeutic effect, which lasts several hours.
Application of Maalox
For Maalox use, the indications for use can be:
- Acute and chronic gastritis. With this disease, the mucous membrane becomes affected and the inflammatory process develops in it due to food poisoning, taking certain medications, food allergies, infections, and burns. Characterized by pain in the abdomen, heartburn, eructation, a sense of severity - symptoms of increased acidity.
- Indigestion. Due to the lack of certain enzymes, normal digestion of food is disrupted and large amounts of uncharacteristic products of degradation of nutrients( organic acids, hydrogen sulphide, indole), irritating mucosal receptors are formed.
- Ulcer of the stomach and duodenum. It is formed as a result of a disturbance of the balance between "protective" and "aggressive" intestinal factors. The resistance of the mucous to resist damage by its gastric juice is reduced by the action of negative emotions, prolonged stress, a decrease in the production of digestive hormones, the exchange of histamine and serotonin, responsible for the regulation of acidity.
- Gastroduodenitis. Inflammation of the duodenum, resulting from irregular eating and alcoholism. It is characterized by pain, a feeling of heaviness after eating, nausea and vomiting. Often is a companion of gastritis and stomach ulcers.
- Flatulence, heartburn.
- Errors in nutrition, a violation of the usual diet, abuse of harmful eating habits( coffee, alcohol abuse, persistent overeating, excess of fatty foods).
For all these conditions, it is necessary to take enveloping agents that protect the mucous membrane of the stomach and upper intestine. The use of Maalox in these cases is completely justified.
Forms of production and method of application
Antacid Maalox is available in the following dosage forms:
- Chewable tablets in 10-piece blisters. Auxiliary substances in them are: sorbitol, powdered sugar with starch, sucrose, mint flavor, magnesium stearate and sodium saccharinate.
- Suspension in a bottle of 100 and 250 ml or in mini-packs. Excipients: mint oil, citric acid, hydrochloric acid, sorbitol, hydrogen peroxide, water. The suspension has a white color and mint smell.
Tablets are taken when pain occurs or after 1-1.5 hours after meals 3-4 times a day. They need to be chewed or rassasyvat. Suspension is taken for 1 tbsp.l.or 1-2 bags at a time, before bringing it to a homogeneous state by shaking or kneading the sachet. If the need for application is caused not by chronic diseases, but by errors in nutrition - a single or multiple intake is sufficient.
Contraindications to the administration of Maalox
Despite the rather high safety of this drug, it is not recommended for the following diseases and conditions:
- Diabetes mellitus due to the presence of sucrose.
- Renal failure. Magnesium and aluminum content in the blood plasma increases, resulting in dementia, encephalopathy, anemia.
- Intolerance to fructose because of its content in the composition.
- Age under 15 years.
- Phosphate deficiency in conditions of shortage in food.
Use the drug with caution in pregnant and lactating mothers. In these cases, the threat to the life and health of the mother must exceed the threat to the life and health of the child or the fetus.
Overdose and side effects of
No data on his overdose were found during the study of Maalox's pharmacokinetics. Side effects for dosing disorders can be nausea and vomiting, alternation of constipation and diarrhea, a change in the taste of familiar food. With continued use of high doses of the drug may develop violations of calcium metabolism( osteoporosis, hypocalcemia).
Maalox should not be taken concomitantly with neuroleptics, tetracycline antibiotics, acetylsalicylic acid, levothyroxine, penicillamine, iron salts, glucocorticosteroids, H-2 histamine receptor blockers due to their incomplete absorption. In case of need, it is necessary to maintain a time interval of at least 2 hours between taking Maalox and the above medicines.
Antacid Maalox is an effective tool for reducing the concentration of hydrochloric acid. With the optimal dosage, this drug can quickly relieve pain, and protect the stomach and intestines.
Advertising presentation of Maalox in video:
Tell a friend!