- What products are useful for joints?
- Which products should be excluded?
- Sample menu for the day
What products are useful for joints?
The arthritis diet includes useful products for the normal functioning of the musculoskeletal system.
The diet should contain nutrients that reduce inflammation in the pathology site, strengthen the bone tissue, activate blood flow and metabolic processes.
Regular use of such products has a beneficial effect on the mobility of joints, providing the synthesis of a sufficient amount of synovial fluid and increasing the elasticity of the cartilaginous tissue. In addition, therapeutic nutrition with arthritis strengthens the immune system, which mobilizes the defenses of the body to fight infection.
Fish and seafood
In the inflammatory process of the musculoskeletal system, a large amount of arachidonic acid is released in the affected tissues, which supports the pathological process and causes pain in the joints. To eliminate it in food should be an increased content of omega-3 polyunsaturated acids. This substance is rich in fatty fish( salmon, mackerel, herring) and seafood( shrimp, rapans, squid).
Salmon contains useful fatty acids necessary for normal operation of
joints. To effectively treat joint inflammation, fish products should be introduced into the diet at least 3-4 times a week. Cook meals better in boiled or baked form, as well as steaming. Oily fish need to completely replace meat products during the acute phase of arthritis, because red meat contributes to the synthesis of arachidonic acid, thereby strengthening the inflammatory process.
Polyunsaturated fatty acids are found in olive and linseed oil. For cooking dishes, olive oil is more suitable. They can fill vegetable salads, serve porridge, add to the first dishes, use when baking fish. Flaxseed oil is recommended to be taken as a food supplement in the case of joint polyarthritis, with several spoons of the medicine being taken every morning on an empty stomach. Vegetable oil improves digestion, serves as a good preventive tool for preventing atherosclerosis and normalizes metabolism.
Groats contain essential microelements and vitamins to maintain the health of the musculoskeletal system. Especially useful buckwheat and oatmeal porridge with daily consumption of food. Cleansing the body of toxic substances and excess salts, which is most relevant for gouty arthritis, contributes to a rice diet. To do this, pre-cooked rice is eaten for breakfast without the addition of salt and spices, followed by fasting for 6 hours. The course of purification is designed for a period of not more than a month.
For joint arthritis, it is useful to eat a handful of nuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews or sunflower seeds every day. They are rich in selenium and vitamin E, which improve the regeneration of tissues in the area of inflammation and reduce the damaging effect of free radicals. In addition, nuts are considered a good preventive tool for exacerbating diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Oatmeal with added fruits and nuts helps to restore inflamed joints
Raw vegetables are rich in vitamins, microelements, fiber. In a diet with arthritis, it is recommended to include different kinds of cabbage, for example, white-head or broccoli. They contain calcium to strengthen bones, manganese for the restoration of cartilaginous tissue, copper for the synthesis of collagen, the main component of connective tissue of the joints. Also, cabbage is rich in vitamins A, C, sulforaphane, which eliminate the harmful effect of free radicals on intraarticular cartilage and synovial bag. No less useful are orange vegetables, such as pumpkin, carrots, sweet peppers. They include beta-carotene, which is involved in the normalization of metabolism and strengthening of immunity.
Fruits have long been considered a storehouse of vitamins and antioxidants. With arthritis, fruits of yellow and orange color are useful: pineapples, mandarins, apples, oranges. They are rich in vitamin C, which promotes vascular strengthening, normalizes the work of the immune system, reduces the intensity of the inflammatory reaction. Fresh fruits contain quercetin, which is involved in the synthesis of collagen, which helps strengthen the musculoskeletal system and restore the intraarticular cartilage after inflammation. It should be remembered that a diet with rheumatoid polyarthritis and reactive arthritis should not contain fruits that cause allergic reactions in the body. Diseases are of an autoimmune nature, so manifestations of food intolerance can cause progression of pathology.
Pomegranate juice has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect in arthritis
. The diet also includes dairy products with low fat content( yogurt, yoghurt, fermented baked milk), spices( ginger, turmeric), dietary meats( rabbit, chicken).Food should be divided with meals at least 5-6 times a day and a sufficient drinking regime( about 1.5 liters of liquid).It is useful to drink vitaminized decoctions of rose hips, green tea, pomegranate juice.
Which products should be excluded?
In the acute period of the disease, some products should be excluded from the diet to reduce inflammation, pain, normalization of regeneration processes of damaged joint tissues.
After recovery, they can be injected into the food, but the less they enter the body, the less likely the disease will be exacerbated.
Arthritis is not recommended for use:
- vegetables from the family Solanaceae( potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes) - increase susceptibility of joints to adverse effects of internal and external environment;
- chips, crackers, margarine, cakes - contain trans fatty substances, which are toxic for connective and cartilaginous tissue, cause metabolic disorders, reduce the protective properties of the immune system;
- excessive amount of salt - for a healthy person the daily rate is 10 grams, with acute arthritis, its amount can be reduced by half to reduce inflammation, pain, and swelling of the tissues;
- meat dishes of fatty varieties and rich broths - contain arachidonic acid, which is split in the body to eicosanoids, which increase inflammation in the joints;
- alcohol - even a single intake of ethanol causes the accumulation of dopamine and adrenaline in the blood that promote the progression of arthritis, and regular consumption of alcohol causes a decrease in the concentration of potassium and increases the swelling of the joints;
- eggs, cod liver, butter - cause progression of gouty arthritis;
- pickles, marinades, smoked products, canned foods - lead to the accumulation of salts in the joints, which causes inflammatory-degenerative disorders;
- strong tea and coffee - promotes the washing away of calcium from bone tissue due to the increase in the body's concentration of caffeine.
Selectivity of the ration increases the effectiveness of treatment of arthritis
Nutrition for arthritis should be balanced in small portions and do not exceed the caloric value of the daily diet. Overweight, obesity worsens the course of the disease and causes its progression.
Sample menu for day
In order to understand the nature of nutrition in inflammation of the joints, we give an example of a menu for one day.
- The first breakfast - 7.00-8.00.Oat porridge with the addition of low-fat milk, cinnamon, apple. A glass of pomegranate juice, which can be diluted with boiled water or chilled green tea.
- The second breakfast is - 10.00-11.00.A glass of fruit yogurt. Banana.
- Lunch - 13.00-14.00.Soup on vegetable broth from carrots, broccoli, onions, celery with chicken meatballs. Boiled rice with fish cutlets. Salad of white cabbage, radish, carrots, seasoned with lemon juice and olive oil. A slice of rye bread. Green tea or broth of rose hips.
- Snack - 16.00-17.00.Cottage cheese casserole, sprinkled with low-fat sour cream. Berries. A glass of ryazhenka.
- Dinner - 19.00-20.00.Chicken steamed with cauliflower. A slice of bran bread. A glass of apple juice.
Between meals you can eat fresh berries, apples, plums, peaches and drink filtered water.
The arthritis diet improves the condition of the joints, improves the effectiveness of the therapy, normalizes the digestive tract, nervous system, heart and vessels, strengthens the immune system. Proper nutrition will allow the body to work in the optimal regime and to resist the development of diseases.