Heel spur is a common disease of elderly people and younger ones, suffering from the consequences of excess weight, sport or wearing high-heeled shoes. Sharp pain in the heel when walking is forced to limit activity.
Patients begin to look for ointment from the calcaneal spur, which best removes soreness. Before the start of therapy, it is necessary to abandon uncomfortable shoes, organize low-calorie unloading days. Have to visit an orthopedist. The expert will check and establish the causes of the disease, pick up the necessary insteps, night orthoses.
Medical treatment of calcaneal spur will not be effective if it is not combined with special exercises for stretching the plantar ligament, with physiotherapy methods.
More details about the complex of exercises and physiotherapy methods of treatment can be found in the article "Treating the calcaneal spur without medication".
What can I achieve with treatment?
Pains occur when the ligament is considerably densified, can not be stretched, and on the calcaneus there appear "outgrowths" of the periosteum.
All the applied methods of treatment are aimed at:
- normalization of metabolism in tissues, cessation of ligament fibrosis, additional calcium deposition;
- softening and return elasticity and the ability to stretch well;
- removal of inflammation in surrounding tissues;
- healing of micro-traumas and ruptures;
- in the case of surgery - direct elongation by partial dissection of the plantar fascia with the removal of bone deposits.
Means from the heel spur to be selected individually, taking into account the existing concomitant diseases, intensity of pain.
Features of treatment with topical preparations
Local medicines are used in the form of creams, ointments, tinctures for rubbing and compresses. When choosing a drug, the following should be considered:
- , when comparing cream and ointment, preference should be given to the ointment form, because it has a higher concentration of the drug;
- to strengthen the local action of medications is recommended before the application to make a warm foot bath and slightly steam up the foot, this improves the permeability of the medicine( it is good to use a bath with food or sea salt, needles);
- the treatment procedure will be more effective if after applying ointment apply compressor paper, cellophane with warm wrapping.
To exclude a possible allergic reaction, it is necessary to apply the cream on the inner surface of the forearm and observe for 2 hours. If there is no redness, you can safely use the drug.
Ointments and cream from the calcaneal spur
An effective anti-inflammatory effect is provided when using ointments based on the hormones of the adrenal cortex and non-steroidal agents.
- Hydrocortisone ointment has a strong anti-inflammatory effect, it is recommended in the morning and at night( in the evening with a compress).Categorical contraindication: warts, foot fungus, psoriasis. Relative contraindication: cracks, ulcers, skin lesions on the heel. Apply only after healing.
- Indomethacin ointment with a 10% concentration is a non-hormonal agent with anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect.
- Ointment Ibuprofen has the same positive effect and side effects as Indomethacin.
The drug is used only as prescribed by the doctor
The medication is not recommended for long-term use, since hydrocortisone is able to block the production of its own hormones. Nonsteroidal agents affect the stomach and intestines. They can be safely used for 2 weeks.
More effective simultaneous phonophoresis with these drugs. Physiotherapy increases the penetration of medicinal components.
Less commonly used for calcaneal spurs are such preparations on an ointment basis, as Diclofenac, Voltaren, Butadion. They are less effective, they are more indicated when joints and spine are affected.
- Cream "Golden mustache" contains extracts of plants( saber, golden mustache, eucalyptus, plantain) on shark oil and corn oil.
- The cream "Heel spur" softens the skin on the heels, warms and strengthens the blood supply. Recommended in the initial stage.
- Similar cream "With heel spur" includes clove oil, garlic, pepper and golden mustache. It warms and relieves inflammation.
Creams for long-term treatment
For long-term therapy, creams and ointments with plant and natural ingredients are suitable. They are recommended to rub in the skin of the heel and arch of the foot 3-4 times a day.
- "Tiger Eye" is based on extracts of horseradish, lilac, burdock, hazel, juniper, bee wax with castor oil.
- "Pjatkashpor" consists of apple cider vinegar, an extract of propolis with oils and medical products.
- As part of the "Shark Fat", in addition to shark fat, contains honey, propolis, extracts of plantain, eucalyptus, laurel, juniper.
Treatment with blockades
Blockade of calcaneal spur is a surgical procedure. It is performed with strong, pain-free, painful, edema of the foot.
The procedure is painful, despite the additional administration of an anesthetic. The essence of the method: at the most painful point the surgeon injects one of the strong hormonal anti-inflammatory drugs( Diprospan, Hydrocortisone or Kenalog) with a syringe.
For heel blockades using a special syringe and needle-trocar, the puncture requires effort from the physician
The injection should be repeated after 1.5-2 weeks, since the drug is completely absorbed during this time. Diprospan is administered in one syringe with an anesthetic( Lidocaine).The course requires 2-3 injections. Even after the first procedure, the pain is significantly reduced.
Drugs are not recommended for people with such diseases:
- mental changes,
- osteoporosis of bones.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used in short courses in the form of tablets and capsules( Ibuprofen, Voltaren-retard, Ketoprofen).Contraindications are the same as those listed above.
Scheme of express therapy
This scheme of treatment is recommended for those who have long worn uncomfortable shoes and felt severe pain in the heel. The authors promise a complete disappearance of the symptoms for a period of up to a week, if the prescriptions are strictly followed.
On the first day - every 2 hours rub in the heel and foot on all sides balm "Golden mustache with a saber" alternately with the drug "Kontratubeks."
From the second day of the procedure, three times a day, alternating these drugs.
Kontratubeks is used by official medicine for the treatment of adhesions, scar deformities on the skin, and increased post-operative scars.
Any doctor will advise not to be limited to the use of medicines, but at the same time to use effective physiotherapy procedures. Only a comprehensive use of all acceptable methods will get rid of the calcaneal spur.
- What can be achieved with
- treatment? Features of treatment with topical preparations
- Ointments and heel spur cream
- Creams for long-term treatment
- Treatment with blockades
- Scheme of express therapy