Headache occurs in patients with very different diseases and in practically healthy people. Pain syndrome includes a range of unpleasant sensations of varying intensity and localization. One of the frequent causes of pain is osteochondrosis in the cervical spine. Cervical chondrosis with headache goes through the life of a person hand in hand.
Why pains appear
The root cause of chondrotic headaches lies in degenerative-dystrophic changes in the cervical spine. Briefly describe the processes occurring in the spine can be as follows:
- lesion of the intervertebral cartilage;
- drying, reducing the height of intervertebral discs, reducing their cushioning ability;
- degenerative changes in the structure of the vertebrae, muscular, ligamentous apparatus;
- formation of hernias, protrusions;
- under the influence of pathological changes of the spine, squeezing occurs, infringement of spinal roots. Venous congestion and edema begin in the area of the cramped root. As a consequence, pains occur which can be irradiated to different parts of the head.
The structure of the healthy spine segment
. In more detail, the development of cervical chondrosis is as follows. The spine consists of separate segments. Each segment is formed by a pair of vertebrae and a disc lying between them. As soon as one of the segments loses mobility for various reasons, the underlying vertebrae take on an additional burden.
This increases the strength of the compression of the intervertebral disc and the vertebrae of the cervical region. They can shift relative to each other, slip in the sides. In conditions of increased load, the discs gradually lose their elasticity, dry up. At the next stage, the fibrous ring of the disc protrudes toward the vertebral canal. Intervertebral foramens narrow. And the nerve roots leaving the spine, reaching the muscles of the neck, the vessels, are infringed. Response to irritation of nerve endings is a headache.
Types and localization of pain
By nature, duration of head pain can be:
If a specific segment of the neck is affected, the pain appears in a specific area of the head.
The localization of the headache is directly related to the location of the pathological focus in the spine. With constant irritation of the pain receptors in the zone of the cervical vertebrae, which are altered by the chondrosis, discs spasm of the muscles of the head occur. Their trophism( food) worsens, edema, hypoxia, spasmodized condensed areas appear. With spasms of the oblique lower muscle of the head, there is a constant pain in the cervico-occipital region.
When compressing( compressing) the nerve roots of certain segments in the cervical region, the following painful manifestations occur:
- when the spine of segment C1 is compressed, the pain appears in the parietal region;
- if the segment C2 suffers, the pain gives to the occipital-parietal region;
- development of osteochondrosis promotes the appearance of vertebral artery syndrome. It develops against the background of deterioration of the blood supply to the brain. Characterized by excruciating pains in the occipital, parietal-temporal region of the head.
Sometimes radicular pain spreads over the scalp, beginning from the occiput, ending with the forehead region.
Treatment for pain
Treatment is compulsory. It is aimed primarily at eliminating the vertebrogenic( associated with the spine) syndrome. When it hurts in the head, doctors recommend non-steroid preparations for relief of pain:
Almag - home doctor with cervical chondrosis, eliminates pain, swelling
Drugs relieve nonspecific inflammation, reduce swelling. They are chosen taking into account individual patient tolerance, severity of the disease, complications and side effects. The medicinal complex includes other medicines:
- Rumalon - for the restoration of cartilaginous tissue, used at the onset of the disease;
- biogenic stimulants - humisol, vitreous, aloe extract, are injected or electrophoresis;
- vasodilator preparations - trental, no-shpa or draverin, papaverine, euphyllin improve blood supply;
- synthetic analogues of adrenal hormones - prednisolone, hydrocortisone are effective for radicular pain.
Vessels and nerves during compression are released by stretching the spine with their own body weight on an inclined plane, in water.
Chondrosis and dizziness
Symptoms of dizziness in osteochondrosis are associated with impaired blood supply to the posterior parts of the brain. In this area is located auditory and peripheral vestibular apparatus, other vestibular formations. Insufficient blood flow in these departments and causes dizziness. Their appearance is facilitated by:
- sharp turns of the head to the sides, back;
- undercooling, drafts;
- common infection, intoxication.
True dizziness - the apparent rotation of objects with a person
When you are dizzy, you get a sense of disorientation in space. It seems that objects, walls, floor rotate together with the patient clockwise. The balance of the body is lost, and there is an imbalance in walking. There is a condition resembling a strong alcoholic intoxication.
During dizziness, "flies" appear before the eyes. Unpleasant sensations are supplemented by noise in the head, ears. Vision may temporarily worsen. The duration of the attack is different: several minutes, hours and even days.
Vertigo is curable
For treatment of dizziness, preparations are prescribed:
- dilating arteries and improves blood supply to the brain;
- toning blood vessels;
- reducing pathological changes in the cervical spine;
- reducing the excitability of the vestibular apparatus.
Drotaverin - a fast-acting antispasmodic for the removal of dizziness
Vasodilator tablets with dizziness act relaxing on the veins, arteries of the neck and brain. These include all known antispasmodics - no-spa, domestic analogue drotaverin, papaverine, papazole( papaverine with dibazolum), euphyllinum.
Medications for dizziness are not the only remedy for eliminating unpleasant symptoms. Sometimes a temporary fixation of the neck with an orthopedic collar is required. To relieve muscle tension, massage of the collar zone and cervical region is done.
For getting rid of dizziness, spinal cord stretching, physiological treatment with Darsonval currents, electrophoresis are shown. During remission, exercise therapy is prescribed, aimed at strengthening the muscles of the neck and releasing the clamped vessels and nerves. The diet is varied with dishes rich in vitamin C, group B.
Head tremor in cervical osteochondrosis is another manifestation of an insidious disease. It is characterized by jitter of different amplitude and frequency. The focus of excitation is localized in the muscles of the neck, causing them to contract. Tremor can occur at rest and during movement. Significantly increases after exercise, agitation. It is believed that 90% of cases of tremor are caused by the entrapment of the atlas - the first cervical vertebra. Beta-blockers are prescribed for treatment:
Anaprilin is an inexpensive, effective beta blocker for dizziness
- atenolol, etc.
Drugs are contraindicated in bronchospasm. When the head trembles, clonazepam helps. In addition to anticonvulsant, it has a calming effect. Supplementation of medicinal treatment with vitamins of group "B" is being completed.
Prophylaxis, timely treatment of osteochondrosis allows to avoid pain, dizziness, tremor of the head. The disease annually grows younger, it affects every second person. Influence on the course of the disease is necessary from early childhood.
- Why pains appear
- Types and localization of pain
- Treatment against pain
- Chondrosis and dizziness
- Vertigo is curable
- Head shake