Intercostal neuralgia is a symptom of compression of the spinal nerve. Occurs in the background of other diseases of the spine. It can be osteochondrosis, curvature of the spine, displacement of vertebrae due to injuries, osteoporosis and other causes.
The disease is characterized by several symptoms that manifest in the course of the strangulated nerve:
- muscle tension;
- impaired sensitivity;
- is a vegetative reaction.
Treatment of intercostal neuralgia is aimed at eliminating acute symptoms and therapy of the underlying disease. Medicinal products, apparatus physiotherapy, massage, reflexotherapy and methods of traditional medicine are used. In the treatment of the disease, the behavior of the patient is important. The first few days it is better to be in a lying position. Under the mattress it is necessary to put a non-deflectable shield. Try not to make movements that increase pain.
In the acute period of intercostal neuralgia, medication is prescribed for:
1. Pain relief .Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are effective - Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Ketoprofen, Naproxan, Celebrex, Nice. However, they are contraindicated in diseases of the digestive tract. How to treat intercostal neuralgia in such cases? Do not irritate the gastric mucosa with a new drug of this group, Mawalis and analgesics based on paracetamol( Sedalgin, Panadol, Tylenon. ..), analgin( Pentalgin, Baralgetas).Take them regularly, without waiting for pain.
Severe pain syndrome is an occasion for the appointment of paravertebral blockade with solutions of lidocaine, novocaine, diclofenac or hydrocortisone. If the treatment with pills does not bring the desired effect, anesthetics are given in injections or rectal suppositories. The local use of a pepper patch, which lasts several days, is good for pain relief.
2. Elimination of muscular spasm is achieved by the appointment of muscle relaxants. Their use quickly improves the condition. Tizanidine, Midokalm, Clonazepam are prescribed only by a doctor.
3. Numbness and sensitivity disorder disappears or becomes insignificant after vitamin therapy. Vitamins of group B have analgesic, antispasmodic action and are able to restore damaged nerve fibers.
The use of ointment for intercostal neuralgia has different purposes. For example, Fastum gel, Voltaren, Ketonal, Finalgon, Traumeel C contain analgesics. They relieve pain, muscle spasm and inflammation. Capsicum, Fenalgon, Apizatron, Viproxal in its composition have agents that irritate the skin. Their use will improve regeneration, circulation and nutrition of tissues. Ointment is applied to a painful area and slightly rubbed. Apply several times a day.
Intercostal neuralgia is treated with ointments containing chondroprotectors( chondroxide), which restore the cartilaginous tissue and mobility of the spine. The auxiliary substances that make up the ointment have an analgesic, anti-inflammatory effect and reduce the viscosity of the blood. A two-month course of treatment is under way.
For intercostal neuralgia, medications are not the only method of therapy. In complex treatment are considered to be physiotherapy and massage. Acupuncture, acupressure, osteopathy and manual therapy can become independent methods.
Classic, spot, can or vacuum massage with intercostal neuralgia is performed by specialists, but some of its elements can be used in self-massage. Withdrawal of pain syndrome, psychological and muscular tension, improvement of tissue nutrition, stimulation of immunity gives grounds to consider massage an obligatory element of complex treatment of the disease.
Hardware physiotherapy. The most effective are diadynamic currents, laser therapy, ultraviolet irradiation and phonophoresis with analgesics.
We must not forget that the treatment of folk remedies of intercostal neuralgia is used in parallel with traditional medicine.
Phytotherapy can reduce pain and blood viscosity, relieve muscle spasms, gently stimulate immune processes. Herbs are used for local and internal use.
- Decoctions of chamomile, mint, willow bark, lilac buds and elderberry flowers are applied inside within a month.
- Baths with horse chestnut, sage, oak or fir bark relax the spasmed muscles and eliminate pain.
- Quickly and effectively reduce pains warming compresses with radish juice, horseradish, with steamed wormwood, flax seed, crushed geranium leaves.
Aroma oils bitter pepper, chamomile, rosemary, tea tree, citrus and geranium strengthen the effect of massage.
Propolis and mummies are folk remedies used in traditional medicine. These are bioactive stimulants of natural origin. Accepted inside and outside, they strengthen the regeneration of damaged tissues, have anti-inflammatory and antitoxic effects.
To cure intercostal neuralgia, means to cure the disease, against which it appeared. Otherwise, frequent relapses are guaranteed. If the cause is osteochondrosis, the treatment is aimed at creating a strong muscular corset and preventing the progression of disc degeneration. To restore the correct anatomical position of the spine will help manual therapy, osteopathy, massage, exercise therapy and physiotherapy.
Intercostal neuralgia requires long and persistent treatment. Methods of traditional medicine and folk remedies are used. It is not enough to eliminate acute symptoms, it is necessary to heal the underlying disease, provoking the compression of the intercostal nerves.