According to statistics, every fifth person on the planet snores. It would seem that this is bad? However, doctors treat snoring as a serious illness. In addition, it brings a lot of inconvenience to close people, especially if you have to spend the night on a visit. From a medical point of view, snoring occurs due to a severe cold, curvature of the nasal septum or pathology of soft tissues in the nasopharynx. Not only an adult can snore, but a child, for example, because of enlarged tonsils. But if some reasons can be managed surgically, then in other cases special treatment is needed.
As with any disease, snoring has consequences and complications. In chronic snoring, breath retardation( or apnea) may occur. Breathing stops overnight can be repeated several times. As a result, the level of oxygen in the blood drops, which can provoke a heart attack or stroke. Do not be ruled out and the lethal outcome. Therefore, snoring is a rather serious problem.
People suffering from such a disease, first of all, must contact the otolaryngologist( or LOR).Only a doctor can find out the anatomical features of the airways and establish the true cause. Perhaps, there are some pathologies that need correction. It may also be necessary to consult a therapist or an endocrinologist. To detect the presence of apnea( respiratory arrest) during sleep will help polysomnography - the study of your night's sleep. As a rule, these studies help to choose more effective therapy. In the case of surgical intervention, polysomnography will help to determine whether or not you will be injured.
There are also several methods of fighting snoring that can not only be used by people suffering from this disease:
- First, it is worth starting with the correct position of the body in a dream. Snoring people need to sleep on their side. Discard the high pillows. Your head should be parallel to the body. So you can avoid bends in different parts of the spine. This rule should be observed by all. During such a dream, the human body receives a full rest.
- Most often snoring people complain of difficulty nasal breathing. In this case, you should determine the exact cause and eliminate it. If you have a chronic cold, it is helpful to use the nose cleanser before going to bed. Today there is a wide selection of different sprays, a drop for the nose. You can also use sea( salt) water. If the problem lies in the more serious pathologies of the airway structure( for example, curvature of the nasal septum or nasal polyps), surgical intervention will be required. After the respiratory function is restored, the snoring will pass.
- Sometimes the reason for snoring lies in excessive weight, everyday stress or other diseases. Therefore, it is worthwhile to undergo a thorough diagnosis and begin by eliminating these causes, and then apply physiotherapeutic, medicinal treatment.
- Among other things, at present there are many kinds of special mouth devices that treat snoring. They fix the lower jaw, due to which the lumen of the pharynx increases. However, this device is not so easy to get used to, it can cause a lot of discomfort during sleep. But today this method is perhaps the most effective. In addition, use nasal strips, so-called dilators. They help to pass air by 30% more and eliminate snoring.
- If, according to the results of the diagnosis, you have an apnea syndrome( respiratory arrest), then an effective aid in its treatment may be a device of CPAP or synaptic therapy. It is a special nasal mask, sealed by its device, which is connected to a small compressor. Through the connection tube during sleep, a constant flow of air is continuously supplied under a certain pressure. This method of treatment does not allow the airways to close. The use of such a device allows a full rest, eliminating the feeling of drowsiness, fatigue, the severity of the head after sleep. It is also useful for people suffering from insomnia.
In addition to traditional medicine, there are folk recipes. The first includes special breathing exercises. There are many kinds of methods. The most effective technique is Strelnikova. It also helps to cope with other diseases. There are exercises aimed at strengthening the muscles of the tongue, lower jaw and soft palate.
- Exercise 1: Put your tongue forward, as if showing a sore throat to the doctor. Repeat this exercise 30 times. Then make the same movements with the tongue in the opposite direction. Such an exercise will prevent the tongue from closing with a soft sky during sleep.
- Exercise 2: To strengthen the muscles of the lower jaw, make it move back and forth. Repeat 25 times a day.
- Exercise 3: Grasp some not very hard object in the teeth and squeeze it lightly. Hold this position for about 5 minutes.
- For greater effectiveness, exercises should be performed in the morning and evening several times. Muscles will always be in a tone and allow air to flow properly and evenly through the respiratory tract.
Thus, today there are many tools to combat snoring. A difficult task is to determine the cause of the disease. Do not self-medicate. Only a specialist can prescribe the correct and effective therapy. And to treat snoring is necessary, because it not only causes discomfort to your loved ones, but can also seriously harm your health. In the treatment of snoring an important role is played by the support and support of relatives. After all, a person may not know about his illness. If such a problem exists, it must be addressed in a timely manner. A calm sleep is a pledge of good health.