Basil is an aromatic spicy seasoning that has caught on to many. And what is the use of basil?
And can it cause harm to health?
- 1 What is it?
- 2 Composition
- 3 Useful properties
- 4 Can the basil hurt?
What is it?
Basil, the benefit and harm of which will be discussed below - it is quite an ancient plant, whose motherland is India. But the name has Greek roots and from this language is translated literally as "king".According to the legends, the basil was brought to Europe by the soldiers of Alexander the Great.
And today the plant is successfully cultivated in many countries, for example, in China, India, the USA, Italy, Spain and even in the former CIS countries.
In total there are about 70-80 kinds of basil, but the most common fragrant or ordinary. Other varieties are also used, but they do not have such a vivid flavor, although the taste characteristics are similar.
The benefits and harms of the product have been studied for a long time, even ancient healers and healers paid attention to this plant. And today such fragrant grass continues to be appreciated and to remain popular.
The benefits of basil( as well as its potential harm) are due to its rich and unique composition.
This plant contains various essential oils( which, by the way, can be used in aromatherapy), saturated fatty acids, dietary fibers, di- and monosaccharides, ashes, choline, copper, phosphorus, iron, selenium, zinc, sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamins K, PP, E, C, A, B6, B5, B9, B2, B1.
What is the use of basil?
Let's list some important points:
- Basil is a real effective natural antibiotic. Getting into the digestive tract, it can destroy bacteria, cleaning and protecting the intestines and stomach.
- This is an excellent tonic and general restorative that can be used to strengthen immunity, as well as during rehabilitation after severe diseases and surgeries.
- Basil is able to have an anti-inflammatory effect, which allows treating inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity and gums, as well as respiratory organs.
- The benefit of this flavor is its ability to have a positive effect on the kidneys. First, there is a soft diuretic effect that relieves edema. Secondly, the substances in the composition contribute to the dissolution and excretion of kidney stones.
- This plant has long been used to relieve headaches. For example, it helps with migraines.
- This seasoning with regular use contributes to the removal of harmful cholesterol and protects against such a dangerous disease as atherosclerosis.
- Basil increases appetite and improves digestion.
- The plant has the most positive effect on the nervous system: relieves depression, anxiety and neuroses, improves sleep, and also increases mood.
- Antioxidants in the basilics fight free radicals that provoke the development of cancer and accelerate the aging processes of tissues.
- The plant is useful for colds, as it lowers body temperature and fights viruses.
- There has to be an antispasmodic effect.
- Seasoning should be consumed by people suffering from arthritis and arthritis.
- Basil strengthens blood vessels and heart muscle.
- It is impossible to forget about the wound-healing effect.
This is the benefit of basil. But do not use it thoughtlessly, because in some cases, seasoning can cause harm.
Can the basil hurt?
Potential harm of basil is caused, first of all, by contraindications to the use of such seasoning.
Here are some of them:
- should be cautious during pregnancy and during lactation;
- is not recommended to give basil to children under 5-7 years of age;
- exacerbation of chronic ailments of the digestive organs( ulcer or gastritis);
- diabetes mellitus;
- ailments associated with disorders of blood clotting;
- ischemic heart disease;
In any case, so that the seasoning does not cause harm to health, it is better to consult a doctor and introduce it into the diet gradually.
Be sure to add basil in different dishes, this seasoning is perfectly combined with tomatoes and tomato sauces, as well as with meat and vegetables.