Hip dysplasia, or congenital hip dislocation, is a common pathology in infants, which is congenital and consists in the underdevelopment of the structural elements of the hip joint at the time of birth. This in turn leads to a mismatch between the articular surfaces and dislocation.
Despite the fact that this diagnosis is very widespread and causes parents to be horrified, congenital dislocation of the thigh is perfectly treatable provided that the pathology is noticed on time and the parents have the time and patience to deal with the health of their baby.
In most cases, therapeutic exercises and massage will help with dysplasia of the hip joints. In more complex variants resort to the use of treatment by position( special fixing orthopedic devices for the child) and surgical correction of the dislocation.
How in time to suspect a problem?
First to understand that something is wrong with the baby, so pay attention to the signs that indicate a congenital hip dislocation in the newborn:
- the length of the legs in the child is not the same: if the lying on the back of the baby bend the lower limbs in the knees, andheel to move to the buttocks, then the knees should be on the same level, if it does not - legs have different lengths;
- asymmetric wrinkles on the legs and buttocks, but this symptom is often found in healthy children who have unevenly distributed subcutaneous fatty tissue;
- incomplete dilution of the legs of the child, bent in the knees: in a healthy kid, the angle of such an outreach reaches 80-90 degrees, with dysplasia it is limited, but one should not forget about the physiological hypertension of the muscles of the newborn until 3-4 months, which can create pseudo-restriction of the dilution of the legs;
- click symptom: when breeding the legs, the mother feels a characteristic click in the hip joints.
Asymmetry of the skin folds with hip dysplasia
The signs described above are not the ones that confirm the diagnosis, so if you find them in your child, do not panic - show the baby to the pediatrician and orthopedist. The diagnosis of hip dysplasia is confirmed by ultrasound up to 3 months of age, after three months it is necessary to perform a radiography of the hip joints.
Massage for dysplasia
Massage for hip dysplasia is included in the complex treatment and is an integral part of it. Therapeutic massage along with gymnastics allows to achieve stabilization of the hip joint, correcting the dislocation, strengthening the muscles, restoring the full volume of movements in the joint, and harmonious physical development of the baby.
Massage should be prescribed only by a doctor( pediatrician or pediatric orthopedist), it can also be done only by specially trained medical personnel, for example, a massage therapist who specializes in this disorder in children.
But parents can learn not a special therapeutic massage, but a general developing and restorative, which will only benefit, as a child with dysplasia, and absolutely healthy. Perform it recommended in the evening before going to sleep.
For a more effective massage the child should have a good mood during the session
If the child is shown wearing special orthopedic structures, then massage can be performed without removing them. Children do not use all the techniques of massage and movement, but only stroking and rubbing.
General recommendations for massage:
- baby for the massage session is laid on a flat and firm surface, ideally - changing table;
- a child needs to lay a special diaper that absorbs moisture, as massage movements can provoke urination;
- massage is carried out once a day, the course includes 10-15 sessions;
- perform massage only when the child is in a good mood, not hungry and does not want to sleep;
- requires 2-3 courses of massage with breaks between them 1-1,5 months.
Diagram of the general developing massage for the infant
The position of the child - lying on the back. Begin to perform light stroking movements of the abdomen, chest, arms and legs. Then we turn to the easy rubbing of all the named parts of the body. Finish also stroking.
The position of the child - lying on the tummy with bent and divorced legs. We begin with stroking the legs, rubbing them and alternately taking them apart. Massage the back and waist. Further we fall on the buttocks. Here, in addition to stroking and rubbing, you can apply a light pat on your fingers. Further massage the hip area and the outer sides of the thighs.
Therapeutic gymnastics for the baby
Therapeutic exercises for dysplasia can and should be performed by the child's parents after they are trained by a pediatrician or orthopedist. These are not at all difficult exercises, which will quickly achieve positive results. You can do them throughout the day, when convenient for the child( take into account that the baby was in a good mood, not hungry and did not want to sleep).You can repeat the complex 3-4 times a day. As a rule, such activities are popular with children, especially when they are spent by their mother.
LFK can be performed by the parents themselves several times a day.
Complex of exercise therapy for hip dysplasia:
- The kid lies on the back. Mom or Dad bends his legs in the knee and hip joints and slowly bows to the frog pose. Try to make the exercise so that the knee joints touch the surface of the table when the legs are diluted.
- Abdominal position. Repeat the previous exercise. We bend the legs in the knees and hip joints, we bend them to the sides( as when crawling).
- Position - lying on the back. We perform the bending of the straight legs to the child's head.
- Lying on the back, straighten the legs of the child. Straight legs are bred in the sides.
- Straight legs of the child pull up to the head and from this position we breed them to the sides.
- Fold the legs of the baby in the pose of half-lotus, the left leg should be on top.
- Alternately bend the legs in the knee and hip joints.
- We turn the baby to the stomach. Alternately, pull his legs to the level of the pelvis with the statement on the foot.
- The child lies on his back. We bend the legs in the knee joints and bend them to the sides, as we open the book.
- The child lies on his stomach. With your right hand take the heels of the baby and press them to the buttocks, perform the frog.
It is important to remember that any exercises in the sitting and squatting position can be performed only with the permission of a specialist, since such vertical loads can aggravate the dislocation.
Contraindications to massage and gymnastics
There are several contraindications when performing massage and gymnastics is prohibited:
- increase in body temperature;
- is an acute infectious disease;
- the presence of non-adjustable hernial protrusions in the child;
- congenital heart disease.
Teaching video for parents:
Treatment of dysplasia is mandatory, because in case of complications, the child not only breaks the gait, but also aseptic necrosis of the head of the femur, which leads to severe disability and the inability to move independently. Engage - and you will defeat dysplasia.
- How to suspect the problem
- Massage for dysplasia
- Therapeutic exercises for the baby
- Contraindications to massage and gymnastics