Magnesium sulphate, or as it is more often called this powder, magnesium, a fairly well known drug. And most often he is familiar with pregnant women, who showed a tonus of the uterus. But few people know that it was with the help of magnesia about 20-30 years ago cope with constipation.
- 1 Magnesium sulfate
- 2 Magnesia as a laxative
- 3 How to use
- 4 Contraindications
- 5 Side effects
Before proceeding to how you can cleanse the intestines and cope with constipation with sulfatemagnesium, you need to learn more about the basic properties of the drug. Magnesia has a number of positive properties, although all of them will depend on the form in which the drug is used - in the form of powder or with the help of injections.
And if the intramuscular introduction is more or less understandable, because many people in their lives are faced with this, then one must separately say about the powder. It is the powder, if taken internally, is capable of delivering a person from constipation in a short time.
This is because magnesium sulfate enhances the flow of water into the intestinal lumen. Because of this effect, stool masses dilute, increase in volume. And already thanks to this reflexes are amplified( peristalsis), and feces are excreted from the body.
A small part of the substance is absorbed into the blood, but very quickly excreted by the kidneys. Separately, it is necessary to say how fast the magnesia begins to act. Depending on how the human body reacted to the drug, the effect will be achieved either after 30 minutes, or within 3 hours after ingestion. After that, the therapeutic effect persists for 6 hours. Other important properties of magnesium sulfate powder include:
- Anticonvulsant. Quite often physicians with first aid can inject a man with magnesium to stop involuntary muscle contraction.
- . Antiarrhythmic.
- . Vasodilator
- . Hypotensive, that is, it lowers blood pressure well. In addition, in parallel with this is also the soothing effect of
- Anesthetic, due to the fact that the muscles relax and the nerve impulses are carried on them not with such force
- Tocolytical, that is, relaxes the uterus. This effect of magnesia is very important during pregnancy, when a woman has an increased tone of the uterus, which is very dangerous for the fetus, since it can cause a shortage of oxygen
Magnesia is used widely enough, and despite the fact that very few people know about its laxative effect,the drug is prescribed by doctors to those people who have serious problems with the intestines.
Magnesia as a laxative
Not many people use magnesia as a laxative. But those who resorted to her help, say that the effect is simply wonderful. At once it is necessary to tell or say, that to cope with constipations by means of a magnesia it is fashionable only after purpose or appointment of the doctor because not in all cases it or she can be used.
If you try to treat yourself, then you can only aggravate the situation. Usually, magnesium, as a laxative, is used in the following cases:
- If a person suffers from constipation for a long time, and standard laxatives do not have the proper effect.
- If a person has an acute stage of constipation, when symptoms of intoxication appear. Usually, this happens on the 4th or 5th day after the person did not go to the toilet. This intoxication is dangerous because it spreads rapidly throughout the body, the person's condition worsens sharply, the stomach starts to ache
- If it is necessary to prepare for such procedures as colonoscopy or radiology, where it is important to see the condition of the organs, and not the filled bowel
- If a person is being carried outsurgical intervention affecting the intestine
- If it is necessary to conduct "blind probing"
Also, magnesium sulfate is used for metal poisoning, chimatic substances, as well as any food poisoning. This is done because most of the toxins accumulate in the intestine, and therefore, in order to improve the condition and as soon as possible to remove harmful substances, it is necessary to clean the intestine. Immediately after cleansing, the patient's condition can significantly improve, which indicates the effectiveness of the method.
How to apply
Magnesia as a laxative should be used as follows:
- Take a powder, about 10 to 30 grams. The amount of the drug depends on how old the patient is and how strong his constipation is.
- After that, the powder dissolves in half a glass of warm water. Until the end of the powder will not dissolve ever, so the resulting mixture is like a suspension( when the grains come across).
As for the time of reception, then the opinion of different specialists, and even of the people themselves, is divergent. The only common thing they have is that the drug should be taken before meals. One part advises to drink the mixture in the morning for an hour or two before eating, so that by that time the intestines have cleared of stool. Others say that the powder should be taken half an hour before bedtime so that in the morning the person goes to the toilet. Still others believe that it is more expedient to do this right after dinner, but in no case before bed.
In fact, there are no clear recommendations regarding the time of reception. Each person can take for themselves a more convenient time of day. The only thing to remember is that the drug is only allowed once a day. Separately, it should be said about the use of magnesia in children. Some pediatricians are allowed to use it in children, then only when problems with the intestines do not lend themselves to other treatment. In the case of children, the calculation of the amount of powder occurs according to the age of the child, that is, 1 year - 1 gram, 5 years - 5 grams, etc.
Before taking the powder to get rid of constipation, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
Despite the fact that magnesia is excellent for constipation, it is categorically contraindicated in the following cases:
- Suspicion of appendicitis, as in this case the inflammatory process may worsen, and the time will be lost
- If there is a suspicion of rectal bleeding,as dilution of stool and hobby will lead to increased bleeding
- Intestinal obstruction, which will require surgical intervention
- With any symptoms of dehydration, evenif this is the earliest stage of
- With certain diseases of the nervous system
- In case of renal insufficiency, since some of the magnesia still falls into the kidneys that can not cope with its excretion, and this will lead to hypermagnesia
- During menstruation, when any muscle relaxation can lead tosevere bleeding
With caution, magnesium sulfate powder should be used during pregnancy, since it can have a negative effect on fetal development.
Side effects of
It is very important to apply the drug strictly to the prescribing doctor's prescription, as there are a number of side effects that most often appear when uncontrolled application. The most common side effects include:
- Nausea and then vomiting, which can often be stopped only using antiemetic drugs
- Exacerbation of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Increased fatigue, when a person should even walk a little quick, how tired he is
- Reducedconcentration of attention
- Seizures, as with uncontrolled admission, the water-electrolyte balance
- may be disturbed. Meteorism
- Spastic pain that can be very severe
If any of the above side effects appear, it is necessary to stop taking magnesium immediately and contact your doctor. Sometimes side effects can appear and not because a person took the drug wrongly, but simply because of this individual perception of the main acting ingredients.
Most doctors say that after using magnesia as a laxative, it is necessary to restore the intestinal microflora, because together with the calves, useful bacteria can be excreted.
Magnesium sulphate is widely used in medicine, but not all use it to relieve constipation, because there are a number of other drugs that consumers seem to be able to help much faster in solving this delicate problem. In fact, the principle of their actions is the same, the main difference is in the price and duration of application.
Magnesium sulfate - with instructions for use, you can get acquainted with the video:
Tell your friends!