Veneers are a type of aesthetic dental microprosthesis in the form of plates, which, using a special composite glue, are attached to the teeth on the desired side, giving them a pleasant appearance, additional reliability, and also reducing sensitivity.
At all times a person cared about his own appearance. In the modern world, appearance has a huge social significance. A beautiful smile is a kind of business card for many in the field of business and interpersonal relations in society. Unfortunately, not everyone has by nature such a privilege.
The achievements of modern dentistry are impressive. Today, there is almost nothing possible in matters of aesthetics. Increasingly, to fix the deficiencies in the structure and color of the enamel teeth use special pads.
- 1 Veneers - advanced technology in dental aesthetics
- 2 Advantages and disadvantages of
- 3 When are veneers installed?
- 4 Variety of veneers and their prices
- 4.1 Veneers made of composite materials
- 4.2 Veneers made of ceramics
- 4.3 Veneers made of zirconium dioxide
- 4.4 Lumineers( Hollywood veneers)
- 5 Technique for installing veneers
- 6 Photos before and after
Veneers - advanced technologiesin the dental aesthetics
The devices are microprostheses. These are thin plates, matched by color and texture to natural dental tissues. They not only impart brightness to the teeth, but also eliminate their anatomical imperfections.
Veneers have excellent light conductivity. This quality helps them not to differ from the natural enamel of the teeth. Plate mounting is a painless process. The whole procedure takes 2-3 sessions to the dentist. Depending on the material used in the manufacture of veneers, they are able to last unchanged for up to 20 years.
Advantages and Disadvantages of
Despite all the modern achievements of aesthetic dentists, veneers have their pros and cons. The main advantages of the plate-microprosthesis are:
- Durability. They are able to last at least 10 years, and with proper care and accurate operation and more than 20;
- Features of prosthetics. Natural fabrics are grinded minimally at the preparatory stages. This allows to minimize the negative impact on natural tissues of destructive factors;
- Color naturalness. Veneers do not refract the color background when lighting changes. There is an opportunity to choose a color so that it completely coincides with the natural shades;
- Resistance to coloring. The smooth surface of the plates does not allow even the most aggressive food colorants to penetrate into their structure. In addition, due to the unique manufacturing technology, soft coating does not accumulate on their surface;
- Natural appearance. Veneers are manufactured in such a way that they do not differ in their structure from the actual enamel;
- Reducing the complexity. After restoring the color and anatomical shape of the teeth, many patients note an increase in their own self-esteem.
Unfortunately, there are also negative aspects of this prosthesis. The main disadvantages are as follows:
- Friability of the structure. This property is more suitable for porcelain products and composite veneers. Dentistry always gives advice on how to handle and care for these constructs to avoid the occurrence of cracks and spasms;
- Irreversibility of the process. Aesthetic plates are applied to the tooth after a certain preparation. Although the tissues are removed in a minimal amount, they will never be able to regain their original natural appearance;
- Artificial view. As though dentists did not try to pick up a material on color to natural teeth, a person with veneer overlays always stands out from the general mass of people;
- High cost. Ceramic and zirconium products are especially expensive. For covering one tooth, you'll have to shell out up to 400 cu.
When are the veneers installed?
Indications for the enamel vinification will be:
- Elimination of anomalies in the anatomical structure of the dental crown.
- Chipped and cracked natural hard tissue.
- Darkening of the enamel due to depulpation of the tooth.
- Absence of positive result of enamel whitening procedures.
- Change in the color of the filling material.
- Restoring the shape of the dentition.
There are also major contraindications to the installation of these products, namely:
- The presence of an extensive seal on the tooth, especially if it affects the vestibular surfaces of the crown.
- Absence due to early removal of 6-7 teeth. However, in this case, one should approach the problem individually.
- Anomalies of occlusion associated with the peculiarity of the structure of the jaws and their conjugation.
- Some sports: boxing, kickboxing, karate, etc.
- Carry out careful care and a restriction in the consumption of some food.
Variety of veneers and their prices
The main difference between these products lies in the material from which they are made. This also greatly affects the cost.
Veneers made of composite materials
This is the most common and at the same time budget option to fix the deficiencies of dental tissues. Plates made of composite materials are manufactured in a direct way.
Unfortunately, due to the porous structure, they are quite prone to staining with food coloring. There is also a frequent deformation and the appearance of pigmented plaque at the site of the transition of the microprosthesis into natural tissues.
A great advantage of composite veneers is a decent service life, which can be up to 8 years, as well as an inexpensive price. Restoration of 1 tooth on average costs about 200 cu.
Veneers made of ceramics
Manufacture of such products is carried out only in the dental laboratory, that is, indirectly. Color porcelain attached after the manufacture. Veneers can last up to 15-17 years without any changes in structure and color. This is associated with such unique properties as absolute moisture resistance and color stability. No dye can penetrate the interior of the material to change its aesthetic properties.
Porcelain microprostheses are made by 3 main methods:
- Classic - is a special technique for applying medical porcelain layer by layer, without pressing. After the material is distributed and formed, the plate is fired in a furnace at a high temperature.
- Injection molding is a more complicated method, but despite this, it has great reliability in terms of strength of the product. In the manufacturing process, vacuum is applied, first the wax model is covered with a refractory material, and then the frame is formed under high pressure.
- Technique of milling. Also a complex process where the plate is cut using special tools from a single block of material.
Despite the high hardness of the ceramic, it remains fragile enough. Therefore, it is recommended to handle products carefully and install them only in the frontal area. In addition, they are quite expensive from 300-400 USD.
Veneers from zirconium dioxide
The material has a number of positive qualities:
- high biocompatibility with natural fabrics;
- good adhesion;
- no change with time;
- high strength;
- color naturalness;
- absolute similarity in structure with the tissues of the teeth.
Unfortunately, not all clinics produce veneers from zirconium. The procedure is very complicated and because of this the price for products increases to 600 cu per unit. Of course, when the patient is given the opportunity to compare the result before and after the vinification, many stop exactly on these products. But even more aesthetics have lumineers. These are completely new approaches in aesthetic dentistry.
Lumineers( Hollywood veneers)
These microprosthes have a very fine structure of about 0.3 mm, which is twice as thin as conventional veneers. Due to this, they are installed without preliminary turning of the tooth. This means that even repair of such products will pass with minimal unpleasant sensations for the patient.
Lumineers can last up to 20 years due to the fact that they produce the highest quality ceramic. Usually microprosthes are placed in the frontal part of the vertex and lower jaw. To cover all the teeth luminaries have to pay a fairly large amount of money. The cost of one unit of the product starts at $ 800.Cheaper products are made from a lower starting material.
Technique for installing veneers
To get a white smile and fix the anatomical flaws of the teeth, you will have to visit the dentist more than once. Usually microstructures made of ceramics or zirconium are made in several stages, and they are as follows:
- Examination of the oral cavity, elimination of contraindications.
- Selection of the color of the original material.
- Preparing the tooth. Grinding of hard fabrics for a thickness of up to 1.5 mm is carried out. Enamel is removed only from the vestibular surface of the crown of the tooth.
- Obtaining a mold for creating a veneer model.
- Setting of temporary microprosthesis.
- Laboratory stage. According to the impression, an exact model of gypsum is made. In the future, depending on the type of veneer, a cast from porcelain mass or milling of zirconium billets is carried out.
- Installation of the veneer on the tooth. To secure the plate securely on the crown for many years, it is placed and fixed using a special composite glue.
If all the manipulations are performed correctly, the product will please the owner for a long time. When choosing a material, it is not enough to be guided by the price. The optimal option can be advised only by a specialist. Therefore, it is worthwhile to address only the dentist on all issues, and not to be guided by those who have already put various types of aesthetic microprostheses.
Before & After photos of