Inflammation of joints, or arthritis, is a whole group of separate diseases with different etiology and pathogenesis, but with the same symptoms. Arthritis can affect any joint of the body, but the signs of inflammation are always the same:
- pain in the affected joint;
- redness of the skin over the inflamed patch;
- edema of the region of the affected joint;
- increase in local temperature;
- violation of the articulation function.
Treatment of joint inflammation should be etiological( take into account the cause), pathogenetic( affect the mechanisms of inflammation) and symptomatic( eliminate symptoms, for example, pain, swelling).For this, a number of conservative therapies are used.
Important! It is possible to effectively treat an inflamed joint only by establishing the immediate cause of pathological symptoms and the form of arthritis( infectious, gouty, reactive, rheumatoid, psoriatic, rheumatic, etc.).Therefore, it is mandatory to visit a doctor to establish a diagnosis.
How to treat joint inflammation without drugs? This is almost impossible to do. In order to eliminate inflammatory changes, several groups of medicines are used either inside( tablets, injections) or locally in the form of ointments, gels, patches, compresses.
First of all, general treatment should be etiologic. Only eliminating the cause, you can eliminate the inflammation. For this purpose, drugs from several groups will be used.
Antibacterial drugs can completely cure arthritis, but only some of its types. The indication is inflammation caused by pathological microorganisms:
- Rheumatoid arthritis is a joint damage in rheumatism caused by beta-hemolytic group A streptococcus. Typically, penicillin antibiotics are prescribed. In case of intolerance, macrolides may be used. Later in patients with rheumatism, the use of antibiotics continues for many years with the goal of preventing damage to the valvular apparatus of the heart and forming a blemish.
- Reactive arthritis is an inflammation of the joints that develops against a background of a transmitted urogenital or intestinal infection. It is very common pathology and affects mainly people of young and middle age. For its treatment use antibiotics from the group of macrolides( clarithromycin, azithromycin, rovamycin, roxithromycin).
- Purulent arthritis is an inflammation of the joint that is caused by microorganisms directly deposited in its cavity( with injuries, with blood flow from another focus of infection in the body).In this case, antibiotics are selected depending on the type of pathogen that caused inflammation, and its sensitivity to drugs.
Antibiotics are used to treat arthritis caused by pathological microorganisms
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
This group of drugs is used to treat any type of joint inflammation, as they perfectly eliminate pain, relieve edema and other signs of inflammation, and eliminate symptoms of general malaise,are present.
Representatives of NSAIDs( active ingredient):
It's important to remember! In each case, drugs from this group should be prescribed only by a doctor, since they have many contraindications and side effects. These drugs have a particularly negative effect on the mucous membrane of the stomach, causing the development of erosion, ulcers and bleeding.
For the treatment of joint inflammation, glucocorticoid drugs for systemic use are used only in extreme cases, when conventional medications can not eliminate pain and inflammation, or with arthritis caused by autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
These drugs( prednisolone, methylprednisolone, hydrocortisone) are used in the form of tablets that are taken in the morning, or intravenous drip infusions. Most often, SCS is used as external ointments and intra-articular injections.
Treatment of SCS is associated with a high risk of serious side effects, therefore it should only be performed according to the indications. The doctor selects a dose individually, the therapy is carried out under constant monitoring of the development of side effects.
SCS is used mainly for intraarticular injections that perfectly eliminate pain and inflammation
In systemic connective tissue diseases, when the above drugs do not cope with their task, resort to the use of immunosuppressants. These are drugs that depress the activity of the cells of the immune system, thereby eliminating inflammation. Such therapy is often prescribed as a base for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic inflammation of the joints, with arthritis that accompany systemic lupus erythematosus and other autoimmune pathologies. Most often used methotrexate, cyclophosphamide, azathioprine, sulfosalazine.
medications Among other medications that are used to treat joint inflammation, you can often find:
- muscle relaxants( midocalsm, sirdalud), which eliminate pathological and painful muscle spasms around the joint;
- chondroprotectors( chondroitin and glucosamine), which strengthen and repair the cartilaginous tissue of the joints;
- vitamins B, A, C;
- calcium preparations with concomitant osteoporosis;
- enzyme preparations( seratypeptidase) to eliminate inflammation.
Almost always, joint inflammation therapy is supplemented with ointments and gels for topical application( also they can be used for the preparation of compresses).They help to quickly eliminate inflammation and get rid of the pain.
It's important to remember! Do not use warming and topical irritating ointments in case of inflammation, as they dilate the vessels, which only contributes to aggravation of inflammatory disorders.
Usually all such ointments basically have NSAIDs, GCS, sometimes in combination with a chondroprotector or other substance.
The most popular ointments:
- Deep Relief gel,
- Diclac gel,
- Fastum gel,
- Indomethacin ointment,
- Cream Dolgit,
- Ketonal gel.
Voltaren is an effective analgesic ointment for joints
Non-medicamentous treatment methods
Once the most acute phase of the disease has been eliminated, it is possible to start treatment with additional non-medicamentous conservative methods:
- joints Physiotherapy procedures perfectly eliminate pain and improve the condition of structuresthe joint. It can be used only after the acute signs of inflammation subsided. Paraffin and ozocerite thermal applications, shock wave therapy, magnetotherapy, UHF, ultrasound with hydrocortisone ointment, laser therapy, electrophoresis, etc. have proved to be good.
- Massage and therapeutic gymnastics. It is applied only at the stage of rehabilitation. With exacerbation of arthritis, any massage and active motor procedures are prohibited.
- Orthopedic aids. Applied both in the acute period, and during the restoration. Use different types of orthoses and bandages for the joints, which stabilize the joint, limit the amplitude of unnecessary movements, reduce pain and swelling.
Very often, patients supplement traditional treatment with alternative methods.
Important! You can do this only after consulting a doctor, if you do not have contraindications to this or that method of therapy.
Compression for the joint of clay
Treatment with folk remedies is very popular among patients. Let's consider some effective recipes:
- Egg-acetic ointment .For cooking, you need 1 chicken egg, which you need to break into a jar, and put the same shell. Pour it all with acetic essence so that the liquid covers the egg by 1 cm. Close the can and put it in a dark place for 5 days. During this time, the egg shell will dissolve. Then add 200 ml of vegetable oil and put the container in the sun for 4 days. All. The ointment is ready. Keep it in the refrigerator, use it for rubbing the sick joints or compress every evening in the evening.
- Clay ointment. It is necessary to take 100 grams of medical clay, which is sold in each pharmacy. Mix it with 50 ml of sunflower oil. The ointment is ready. It should be applied to the inflamed joint with a thin layer for 1-2 hours, then gently washed off. Doing such procedures is desirable daily until the pain subsides.
- Salt Compression .You will need a large kitchen salt, which must be well heated in a frying pan, then folded into a natural fabric in the form of a bag. Apply to the sore spot for 30 minutes daily until the symptoms subsided. Such treatment with folk remedies will help relieve pain and improve the function of the joint.
Apitherapy( treatment with bees), hirudotherapy( treatment with leeches), acupuncture, manual therapy, osteopathy, homeopathy are also popular among alternative methods of inflammation of the joints.
In no case do not neglect the symptoms of joint inflammation, because in an acute period the disease can be successfully cured, which is very difficult to do if the arthritis has passed into a chronic form.
- Medical treatment
- Non-pharmacological treatments
- Alternative medicine