In the human body more than two hundred bones. Injuries most often occur in the limbs. Fracture of the toe is not a rare occurrence. You can get it anywhere. Even at home, hitting the leg of the table or sofa. Most of the cases are traumatic fractures.
Thumb of the thumb
- 1 Thumb of the foot
- 2 Finger fracture on the leg: symptoms of
- 3 Fracture of the toe phalanx
- 4 Treatment of toe fractures of the foot
It can occur with a strong impact, with compression, with the turn of the foot and the likecases. Fracture can be complete or incomplete, and can also be combined.
Pathological fractures occur in osteoporosis, osteomyelitis, bone tumors and other diseases in which a significant reduction in bone strength occurs. Fracture of the toes may be with or without bias, open or closed. Localization of the fracture can be on the nail or the main phalanx.
Fracture of the thumb has some features, it is accompanied by the most pronounced symptoms. This finger is the largest, has only two phalanges. In comparison with the rest of the fingers, it is the large one that experiences the maximum load.
Fracture of toe: symptoms of
Fracture manifestations can be relative and absolute. Relative symptoms only allow one to assume that the patient has a fracture. With absolute symptoms, there is no doubt in the presence of a fracture.
With relative symptoms, the patient notes:
- acute, intense pain;
- the damaged finger swells;
- possible hemorrhage under the nail or skin;
- is impaired limb function;
- there is a sharp soreness with the movements of the finger.
The intensity of relative symptoms depends on the location of the fracture. Symptoms of fracture are more pronounced when the main phalanx is injured. After all, it is connected with the bones of the foot. When injured, the vessels that are at the fingernail and the base of the finger have different sizes are damaged, so if the injury is the main phalanx of the finger, the hematoma and edema will be greater.
The leg swells up, looks cyanotic, there comes a sharp pain when you move your finger. When diagnosing a fracture, an external examination is not always effective. Therefore after it it is necessary to make roentgenologic pictures. Radiography is carried out in several projections.
When there is no doubt in the presence of a fracture( with absolute symptoms), the injured finger can have an unnatural position. There is an abnormal, pathological mobility. With pressure, crunching of fragments is heard - crepitation.
Fracture of the phalanx of the toe
The condition of the patient largely depends on the site of the injury. If the main phalanx of the finger is damaged, the pain symptom has the maximum intensity. If the fracture occurs on the second, third, fourth, or fifth finger, this trauma may go unnoticed for the patient. The victim may not even realize that he just broke his finger. In the emergency room to the doctor, he will apply only with an increasing pain syndrome.
Often occurs intra-articular fracture of the thumb. When the integrity of the bone is violated, intense, sharp, very severe pain occurs. It is impossible to step on the injured leg. Edema can seize several adjacent fingers and even the entire foot.
Treatment of toe fractures
Depending on the nature of the damage, a treatment regimen is determined.
- If the fracture is open, then after the reposition of the bones and fixing the limb in motion, antibiotic therapy is performed. This eliminates the possibility of a secondary infection. At the site of a crack or fracture, a white strip will be visible on the X-ray.
- In case of a thumb injury, careful immobilization is required, a plaster cast is applied( for a period of five to six weeks).The bandage grasps the fingers and the upper third of the shin.
- When intra-articular fractures of the toe, the feet sometimes resort to surgical intervention. In this case, surgeons perform a thorough alignment of the bones of the joint and fix them with knitting needles. In severe cases, a compression-distraction apparatus is applied. After such treatment, after a month or two, the functions of the fingers are completely restored.
For fast regeneration of bone tissue and acceleration of recovery, general restorative therapy is performed.
If the bones of the toes grow together incorrectly, in the future, when walking, an incorrect redistribution of body weight to other bones may occur. When walking for a long time, these patients can refuse a leg at the most inopportune moment.
With a simple fracture from the second to the fifth toes, imposing gypsum is not necessary. On the injured finger, only a tire is applied for a period of four to six weeks.
Wearing comfortable, not cramped, non-slip soles of shoes can protect you from fractures of the foot. It is also necessary to limit the intake of such products as strong coffee, alcohol and carbonated beverages. All these products are excreted from the body by calcium, which adversely affects bone tissue.