Scoliosis is the most common orthopedic problem for today. In general, the disease manifests itself in the puberty period, which is characterized by progressive growth. It is in this period that parents should pay attention to the child's posture and visit the orthopedist.
Principles of Scoliosis Treatment
Treatment of scoliosis at home should be under the supervision of the attending physician. After establishing the degree of curvature of the spine, a set of therapeutic and preventive measures is prescribed. Later diagnosis and failure to follow the doctor's recommendations lead to the progression of the disease. Objectives of treatment:
- Prevention of scoliosis progression.
- Stabilization of the spine.
- Strengthening of the muscular corset.
- Correction of the deformity of the spine.
It is not enough to treat scoliosis with massage, physiotherapy procedures and physical exercises. The wellness activities include:
- frequent outdoor activities
- systematic hardening
- sufficient intake of proteins, minerals, vitamins
- active lifestyle
- orthopedic mattress
- posture control.
Folk remedies for scoliosis
Curvature of the spine causes back pain and discomfort. Asymmetry of the muscles leads to a strong stretching on one side of the curvature and increased tone on the other. To get rid of painful sensations in the back, the following folk remedies are used:
- Warm baths with an extract of needles.
- Salt Compresses.
Physical Exercises for Scoliosis
The exercises are mostly performed in a standing position on all fours, lying on the stomach and on the back. All exercises should be performed with a small amplitude. The goal of gymnastic exercises is to strengthen the muscle corset and muscle tone correction.
Gym for strengthening the muscles
- The patient lies on his back with bent knees. On inspiration, raise the pelvis( support on the soles of the feet, shoulders and elbows).Repeat the exercise 6 times.
- Do the exercise "bike" for 30 seconds.
- Lift alternately straight legs, each 10 times.
- Straight legs describe the circles. Run 10 times. It is possible to describe the numbers from 0 to 9.
Gymnastics for strengthening the back
- Lie on the stomach. Alternately, bend the legs in the knees 10 times with each foot.
- From that position, bend both legs in the knees. Run 10 times.
- From the prone position, hands are straightened, resting on the palm of your hand. Perform extension of the trunk 10 times.
- Lying on the stomach, arms straight. Raise arms and legs( "swallow" position) and fix the position until light fatigue appears.
- Lying on the stomach. Alternately raise the straightened legs 10 times.
The position of the exercises lying on your stomach and standing.
- Standing. From the side of the curvature in the thoracic region, the arm is lifted up, the other arm is stretched to the side or lies along the trunk. On inhaling, lift the body.
- Remove the elongated leg on the side of the curvature while pulling the arm upwards from the concavity side.
- Keep the leg from the side of the curvature arc aside, hands on the back of the head. Raise your elbows to the sides and bend your body on inhalation.
Exercises to increase the mobility of the spine to correct deformation:
Complex of exercise therapy for scoliosis of 1 degree
- Standing on all fours. On exhalation, try to sit on your heels, without moving your hands from the spot. On inhalation - return to I.P.Repeat 3 times.
- Curl and bend your back, standing on all fours( changing from "cat good" to "cat evil").Repeat 5 times.
- Lie on your back with your legs straight, hands placed along the trunk. On exhalation pull the toes of the feet on themselves, simultaneously stretching their chins to their chests. Fix for a few seconds the position, on inhalation return to the IP.
Exercises to strengthen the loin muscles from the side, the opposite side of the curvature.
- Lie on your back, hands stretch along. The leg opposite the convexity of the arch of curvature is bent at the knee and hip joint at right angles. Bringing the knee to the stomach, creating resistance by the hands of the child. Exercise can be performed with weights of 0.5-1 kg. Run 6 times.
- It is executed from the same position. Above the knee is put on a cuff that connects with a Martens bandage( rubber bandage), thrown over the back of the chair and fixed. Hold the foot for 20 seconds. You can pull the knee to the stomach, starting with 10 times and gradually increase to 25 times.
During the exercises, you must always control your posture. It is necessary to avoid fatigue and not to strive to perform all the exercises at once, but to introduce them as they become endurance.
The following sports games are included in scoliosis treatment:
- Ball game with volleyball or basketball elements
What is contraindicated in scoliosis?
Scoliosis patients are contraindicated:
- Exercises that increase flexibility: acrobatics, gymnastics.
- Exercises with power voltage
- Exercises in the vise on the crossbar to stretch the spine.
Relative contraindication to swimming is the expressed instability of the spine.
Advice to Parents
A constant comment from parents: "Keep your back straight" while doing your homework only annoys the child. All the same, he will stoop. It is best to invite him to do lying lessons. This method is practiced in specialized schools for children with scoliosis.