Heel spur is a consequence of disturbances in the normal anatomical structure of the foot, manifested by inflammatory changes in the plantar fascia, aponeurosis and tendons. In this disease the inflammatory process is localized mainly in the area of their attachment to the calcaneus. The main complaint of patients - marked point pain on the plantar surface of the heel. Its pathogenetic basis is inflammation and ossification of the aponeurosis in the form of localized growth. It constantly irritates tissues, supporting inflammation. Modern ideas about whether it is possible to heal a heel spur are described in this article.
What the domestic doctors say about the treatment of the calcaneal blisters
The treatment of the calcaneal spur is performed by the orthopedic traumatologist. Domestic specialists have formed quite reasonable views on this problem. The tactical schemes and differentiated campaigns with regard to the methods of treatment of heel spurs are developed.
Shockwave therapy is one of the most effective methods for treating the heel spur
Modern orthopedic postulates sound like this:
- Heel spur is an inflammatory-degenerative process at the sites of attaching the tendon-fascial complexes to the heel bone.
- The disease has the right to be an independent diagnosis. Evidence of this is the case of a person with a normal foot structure associated with her injury or overload.
- The first stage of treatment is the coping of the inflammatory reaction and pain syndrome. Achieved with the help of drug treatment: intramuscular injections, the reception of tableted forms, local blockades in the heel area of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Unloading the foot is an obligatory component of the curative program at all its stages. Methods of immobilization and ways to reduce the load on the affected heel depend on the timing of treatment.
- Physiotherapy and physiotherapy. Thermal and electroprocedures on the affected heel area provide an anti-inflammatory effect. Gymnastics and exercise therapy for feet warns of a repeated exacerbation of the process.
- Local X-ray therapy. It is prescribed if conservative treatment is unsuccessful.
- Operative treatment is one of the methods of combating the heel spurs resistant to conservative therapy. Indications for its use should be clearly limited, since the effect of the operation is not always positive or temporary.
- Traditional treatment alone does not work. It can be used as an auxiliary method.
It's important to remember! Treatment of calcaneous blinkers should be comprehensive, regardless of the duration and stage of the disease. Its directions are not only a reduction of inflammatory and painful manifestations, but also an influence on all links in the development of the disease!
Heel spout from the point of view of European specialists
Opinions of foreign orthopedists concerning the calcaneal spur mostly coincide with the views of domestic doctors. But there are certain features and differences. In Europe, there is a special protocol - a consensus on effective treatment of the calcaneal spur. Its main provisions are as follows:
- There is no such name as calcaneal spur. Instead, the diagnosis is plantar fasciitis. He can not be independent, because it is a consequence of other foot diseases.
- The mechanism of the appearance of pain is not associated with the appearance of bone growth, but with constant tearing of the plantar ligament on the background of overgrowth and the inflammation caused by them.
- Longitudinal platypodia is the main provoking factor of clinic appearance of plantar fasciitis( heel spur), as more than 90% of patients are registered. First of all, you need to treat it.
- Priority measures of the treatment complex are not the coping of spur manifestations with its elimination, but the effect on the causative disease.
- Physiotherapy is the main component of pathogenetic therapy. The key method is shock wave therapy on the heel area. The effect of ultrasonic waves on the inflamed focus reduces pain syndrome, stops the inflammatory reaction, destroys the ossified areas, restoring the plantar fascia.
- Production and active use in everyday life of individually selected orthopedic insoles. Without them, it is impossible to cure a heel spur. Thus, the maximum restoration of the normal foot configuration is achieved, which reduces the burden on the plantar tendons and fascia.
- Therapeutic gymnastics and foot massage. Has a tonic and firming effect on plantar muscles and ligaments. At the first stage is supervised by a specialist. After training, the patient continues to perform exercises at home for several months.
It's important to remember! It is inadmissible to treat the heel spur exclusively with anti-inflammatory drugs. Temporarily docked pain, without affecting the underlying cause of the disease, will necessarily reflect a relapse in a short time with the progression of pathological changes in the entire foot!
The use of individual orthopedic shoes is an essential component in the treatment of the heel spur
. The possibilities of traditional medicine
There are no such diseases from which folk treatment has not been invented. Heel spurs are no exception. Long experience of generations has proved the effectiveness of some recipes. Even specialists do not object to them if plants and substances with anti-inflammatory effect are used as a basis.
It's important to remember! Pain in the calcaneal region is caused not only by the calcaneal spur. Its culprits may be neuropathy in diabetes mellitus or spine pathology, gouty and other types of arthritis. Therefore, any treatment should begin with a specialist's consultation!
Recipes of traditional medicine, with which you can treat heel spurs at home, such:
- Water-salt compresses. To prepare them, you must dissolve a teaspoon of salt in 100 ml of vodka. The prepared solution is applied to the heel either in the form of a compress for several hours, or in the form of a wet-drying bandage several times a day.
- Dimexide compresses. Although dimexide is a medicament, its medicinal properties have provided popularity as a means of traditional medicine. Ready-to-use solution should be diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 3.The use of higher concentrations is fraught with chemical burns of the skin of the foot. Dampened with a warm dimexide solution, gauze is placed on a sick heel, wrapped in a polyethylene or food film and put on a warm sock. The duration of the compress is from 2-3 to 5-6 hours.
- Gadgets of garlic. Grind into a mushy mass half or a whole head of garlic, attach to the pain point on the heel and fix it with a bandage. The duration of the lotion is about 3 hours. The appearance of severe burning is the reason for stopping the procedure.
- Lotion from the bow - the simplest folk remedy. Half a small bulb slightly crush and drip into its central section a few drops of tar. Attach to the heel for a few hours.
- Dry heat. Thermal procedures are one of the pathogenetically grounded methods of arresting inflammatory changes in the calcaneal spur. In the role of heat elements in the home can be warmed salt, placed in a clean sock, a bottle of warm water, warm metal objects.
- Compresses from potatoes. The potatoes, washed finely with potatoes, are laid out on a gauze dressing or cotton cloth. Attach to the patient heel, wrap it with a film and put on a sock. The compress should not be removed within 12-14 hours. In order to remove the spur, the procedure must be repeated daily for a week.
- Foot baths made of salt and iodine. For their preparation requires a full tablespoon of salt and 10 drops of 5% iodine. Ingredients alternately dissolve in 3 liters of warm water( the temperature does not exceed 40-42 ° C).After a 15-minute stay of the foot in the solution, the patient's heel from the plantar surface is smeared with 5% iodine.
- Oil and ammonia lotions. It is required to dissolve a tablespoon of sunflower oil in 100 grams of ammonia. The resulting mixture is applied to the affected heel for 35-45 minutes.
- Dressings with leaves of medicinal plants. Grated plantain leaf, mother-and-stepmother, burdock is applied and fixed to the heel with a bandage bandage for a whole night or day.
- Prepare the infusion or tea from the leaves of cranberries. Take it several times a day. This plant has established itself as a folk remedy with excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Infusion of white acacia leaves for external use. It is prepared by mixing vodka with acacia leaves in a ratio of 3: 1 and infusion for at least 7 days. Lubricate the affected heel 3-4 times a day.
- Infusion of a swamp bait for internal reception. It is prepared by insisting the roots of the plant on vodka in a ratio of 1: 3 for 2 weeks. Take 1-2 tablespoons 3 times a day.
It's important to remember! Curing a heel spur alone at home is impossible, regardless of what methods will be used( medicamental or folk).Any such treatment will help to get rid of the pain. The basis of the problem remains unnoticed. Be sure to consult with specialists to determine the causes of its development and ways to eliminate them!
- What do domestic doctors say about the treatment of calcaneal blisters
- Heel spurs from the point of view of European specialists
- Opportunities of traditional medicine