It is unlikely that there will be at least one person who, having lived to his old age, did not feel a single episode of pain in his lap. The knee joint is one of the largest in the body, is superficially located, is difficult to arrange and is very prone to injury and overload. The causes of pain in the knee can be very much. But, despite the etiologic factor, the main task is to save a person from pain, acute or chronic.
Treatment of pain in the knee joint should be carried out in a comprehensive manner, taking into account the cause of the pathological condition, it is necessary to be aimed at improving the quality of life of a person with chronic pain, restoring joint function, preventing the progression of the disease. Only in this case, you can permanently get rid of the pain in the knee joint.
Why does it hurt?
This is the main question, the answer to which must be found, as soon as possible, to begin treatment. There are many reasons for pain in the knee.
The most common causes of pain in the knee joint:
- deforming arthrosis of the knee joint( degenerative-dystrophic disease with damage to the cartilage and other components of the knee joint);
- Inflammation of the knee( arthritis, bursitis, periarthritis, synovitis, inflammation of the knee joint meniscus);
- traumatic injuries and post-traumatic disorders( rupture and extension of ligaments in the knee, meniscus damage, dislocations, fractures, bruises, hemarthrosis, synovitis);
- infectious lesions of the knee joint;
- reactive arthritis;
- overweight and obesity;
- rheumatic diseases( rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, gout, rheumatism, etc.);
- tumors of anatomical structures in the knee joint region;
- "reflected pain" that occurs with arthrosis of the hip joint;
- vascular pain in the knees( varicose veins of the lower extremities, venous thrombosis, atherosclerosis of the vessels of the legs);
- congenital and acquired deformities of the musculoskeletal system, which increases the load in the knee joint.
The most common cause of knee pain - arthrosis
For each disease, pain in the knee joint has its own peculiarities. At the doctor's appointment, be sure to describe in detail the pain syndrome( what kind of pain, when the knees ache most, what are they from, what additional symptoms are accompanied by pain, etc.).This will allow the doctor to determine a preliminary diagnosis, assign the necessary examinations and build an adequate and correct curative program.
How to get rid of pain
To properly treat painful knee syndrome, in the first place, you need to work on the cause of the pain. Some painkillers or injections will only relieve the patient's condition for a while. After a while all the symptoms will return, as the etiologic factor remains "in place."Therefore, treatment should be comprehensive and include medical therapy, physiotherapy, exercise therapy, massage, spa treatment, if necessary, surgical correction methods, folk remedies, orthopedic auxiliaries.
To treat knee pain, you can use medications. For this purpose, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and chondroprotective medicines are used.
The basis of drug therapy is non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that cope well with the elimination of inflammation in the joint and pain. But, despite such abilities, they do not affect the very cause and progression of the disease. In addition, these drugs have many contraindications and side effects, they need to be taken only on the advice of a doctor.
Medications work well with pain, but can not stop the progression of the disease.
Chondroprotectors are designed to repair the damaged cartilage tissue in the knees. Such medications will not relieve you of pain, but with prolonged use they can significantly reduce the number of exacerbations and restore the function of the joint.
Methods of treatment with medicines are different. They are prescribed in tablets, injections, ointments, creams, gels, sometimes as intraarticular injections. All the methods of therapy depend on the specific case.
As a rule, any drug treatment is supplemented with the appointment of physiotherapy procedures. They can reduce the dose of medications, shorten the duration of treatment, quickly ease pain and restore the broken knee function.
Methods for treating arthritis of the knee
Most often, to eliminate pain in the knees, use:
- ultrasound treatment;
- infrared irradiation;
- laser therapy;
- radon and hydrogen sulphide baths;
- paraffin therapy;
- mud packs.
It is possible to apply physiotherapeutic treatment only during the period of convalescence and between exacerbations of the disease. All procedures should be prescribed only by a doctor, as they have their own indications and contraindications.
Therapeutic physical training
The basic principle is the systematic nature of physical therapy exercises. The use of such methods can significantly improve the condition of patients, slow the progress of the disease, to some extent restore the volume of movements in the knee. The complex of exercises should be selected only by a specialist, they should not cause patient fatigue and pain when performing.
Surgical treatment of
As a rule, such treatment is required for patients with arthrosis of the knee joint of the 3rd stage, when the function is completely lost, chronic chronic pain is present, various deformations in the joint and contractures develop, which is why a person is unable to walk independently.
Perform 2 types of operations:
- organ preservers - surgeons tend to keep as much as possible of the patient's own tissues, such interventions are often performed using an arthroscope( all manipulations in the joint cavity are performed through a small puncture into which the instruments and the camera are inserted);
- knee arthroplasty - an operation to replace an affected joint with an artificial prosthesis, this operation gives the patient a chance to walk independently.
Knee joint endoprosthesis completely returns patients the ability to move on their own
Folk treatment is very popular among people. Everyone tries to find a miraculous herbal collection, which without harm to health will relieve the pain in the knee once and for all. But it is necessary not to forget that it is unlikely to cure the pathology of the knee joint alone by folk remedies. Different recipes for home ointments, decoctions and infusions should be used only with the permission of the attending physician and in conjunction with all other medical procedures. Only then can they help you get rid of the pain in your knee.
Regular use of such medical orthopedic products as orthosis or knee bandage is very effective for prevention. Wearing these devices reduces the burden on the knee, supports it, reduces the possibility of injury. The type and mode of wearing orthoses is prescribed only by the orthopedist, coming out of a particular clinical situation.