After giving birth to a nursing mother, there are many worries and problems, sometimes she completely forgets about her own health, taking care of the baby. One of the frequent problems with breastfeeding is diarrhea in a woman who gave birth. For the appearance of diarrhea, there are several reasons that it is only the doctor who will help to establish exactly what. Therefore, when diarrhea occurs, contact a specialist immediately so as not to harm yourself and the baby.
- 1 Causes of diarrhea in a nursing mother
- 2 Danger of diarrhea during breastfeeding
- 3 How to treat diarrhea during breastfeeding?
Causes of diarrhea in a nursing mother
Consider the most common causes that can cause diarrhea in a mother with breastfeeding:
- Irritable bowel syndrome. This is a violation of the intestine caused by nervous disorders, stress and other experiences, which in the life of a young mother is more than enough. How can you understand that this is irritable bowel syndrome, and not poisoning? With the syndrome, there is no vomiting, no blood in the feces, no temperature. And one more distinctive feature - diarrhea never wakes a nursing mother at night. If a woman sleeps, the muscles relax and the diarrhea passes. Upon awakening, it may reappear. Such a disease is treated with muscle relaxants and sedatives, which will not lead to the interruption of breastfeeding.
- Food poisoning. Nursing mothers need to closely monitor their diet, food poisoning is dangerous, in some cases it can harm the child. Stale foods, getting into the body along with toxins and bacteria that produce them, disrupt the work of the intestines, cause dysbacteriosis, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes a fever. This requires immediate treatment. The doctor can adjust the diet and pick up drugs that do not require the interruption of breastfeeding.
- Allergic reaction. In some cases, food allergies can turn into diarrhea. If it is a matter of allergenic products, you need to exclude everything that could cause such a reaction from the diet.
- Intestinal infection. If the mother does not follow the hygiene badly, does not wash her hands or uses unwashed vegetables and fruits, the pathogenic bacteria get into the body. They multiply in the intestine, releasing toxins that poison the body and disrupt the intestinal microflora. The doctor will prescribe you a cure. Breastfeeding is often not necessary, but to avoid infecting a child, you should often wash your hands.
Danger of diarrhea during breastfeeding
Often moms think that the main danger of diarrhea is the risk of contracting a baby and interrupting breastfeeding. But modern medicine adheres to the point of view that diarrhea carries a greater risk for the mother than for the baby, and it is possible to breastfeed even with intestinal infection. Infections are transmitted through unwashed hands, and not through milk, and food poisoning does not need to be interrupted by breastfeeding because, together with a small dose of toxins, the baby also receives the mother's antibodies to infection.
In case of a viral infection and a severe deterioration of the mother's condition, the doctor may advise you to stop breastfeeding for a short while, but there is no need to completely switch the baby to a mixture. Diarrhea is more dangerous for my mother, because she always needs to have the strength to take care of the baby. If the mother suffers from diarrhea, poorly eats, sleeps and experiences stress, the amount of milk can decrease. The most dangerous consequence of diarrhea is dehydration. The body loses water, vitamins and trace elements, which it needs for normal functioning.
With infrequent and infrequent diarrhea, the damage to the body is small, but with chronic and heavy diarrhea, you need to sound an alarm, go to a doctor and treat. It is very important to stop the loss of fluid. If the body loses 10% of water, serious disorders begin, severe exhaustion, weakness, lethargy. With the loss of 25% of water, death occurs.
Diarrhea with blood is very dangerous. It requires immediate hospitalization. The so-called "black stool" with impurities of blood is a sure sign of intestinal bleeding. In no case should you try to stop it yourself, without medical assistance you can not do.
Abundant and prolonged diarrhea( more than 3 days) can lead to a shock state. Symptoms of shock are cold sweat all over the body, dizziness, rapid pulse, strong weakness. In this case, you also need to call an ambulance.
How to treat diarrhea during breastfeeding?
decides. Treatment is appointed by the doctor after the cause of diarrhea is established. If it is an intestinal infection, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics. You can not refuse treatment so as not to interrupt breastfeeding. With some infections, the body is able to cope on its own, but not with everyone and not always. The decision to interrupt feeding is made according to the situation, but it is necessary to be treated for your safety and the safety of the child.
When poisoning and intestinal infections are often assigned sorbents such as activated carbon, Atoxil, Sorbeksa. They are safe for mom and baby, bind toxins and remove them from the body. Atoxyl is sold as a powder, it must be diluted in water and drunk one hour before a meal. To stop the loss of fluid, you need to drink a lot, more than in normal situations. If an average adult needs about 2 liters of water per day, but breastfeeding mother with diarrhea, you can drink up to 3 liters of water per day. You can drink pure water, mineral water without gas, low-fat chicken broths, black tea without sugar.
The doctor can prescribe a feeding mother Regidron to stop the loss of fluid. It restores the acid-base balance and prevents the loss of electrolytes. Regidron is sold in powder form. The contents of the sachet are dissolved in a liter of warm water, mix thoroughly and drink in small portions throughout the day. With diarrhea, a nursing woman should adhere to a special diet, which is even more severe than with normal breastfeeding. Carbonated drinks, all spicy, salty and fried are excluded. While the diarrhea has not stopped, give up dairy products, fresh vegetables, fruits. You can eat cereals, lean boiled meat or steamed meat, low-fat fish. Baked vegetables are also not contraindicated. Instead of sweets - drying, lean crackers. In the first days after the appearance of diarrhea, there may not be an appetite, but it's still worth eating, so that the amount of milk does not decrease, and there were strengths for caring for the baby.
Nursing mother's nutrition. Diet of feeding mothers - the theme of the video:
Tell a friend! Tell about this article to your friends in your favorite social network using social buttons. Thank you!