For the vast majority of parents, the appearance of a smell of ammonia in the child from the mouth is an absolute surprise, which plunges them into panic and shock. And in this case, it's really worth worrying.
The emergence of such a situation can be a signal about the development of the child some pathologies of internal organs and systems that need to be diagnosed and treated promptly, taking into account the recommendations of the doctor.
Ignore this problem is strictly prohibited, as this can lead to serious consequences for both the child and his parents.
The main causes of
The main reasons for the occurrence of this state in most cases coincide. The following conditions can provoke the appearance of an odor of ammonia in a child from the mouth:
- Diabetes mellitus .The most common cause is the organic and functional pathologies of the pancreas as a result of which the production of hormone insulin is impaired. When a specific ammonia smell occurs, the first suspect is diabetes mellitus, which can also develop in childhood;
- Significant changes in the child's diet .Quite often you can smell acetone from the mouth in children over 1 year old, which parents begin to introduce into the diet home food rich in protein and fats. Accumulation of these substances leads to an increased formation of ketones, which is expressed as a specific odor;
- Stress .The development of this condition can contribute to the severe stress that the child suffered the day before. The cause of stress can be trouble in the family or a strong fright;
- Worms .The presence of helminthic invasions in the intestine of the child can also under the appearance of a sharp ammonia odor from the mouth;
- Infection with .The appearance of a specific odor from the baby's mouth can be caused by the presence of a foci of infection in the body. Most often it signals a progressive intestinal infection; Unhealthy liver. In children of different ages, the odor of acetone from the mouth can be provoked by certain liver diseases, such as hepatitis;
- Poor power supply .If the child's organism receives an insufficient amount of nutrients with food, then the concentration of ketones in the blood will grow rapidly, and manifest as a characteristic odor.
This condition should be separately identified, since the frequency of its occurrence is very high. It is the formation of acetone syndrome that is often the cause of the appearance of a characteristic ammonia odor from the mouth of a child.
This syndrome is characterized by excessive accumulation of ketone bodies in the child's body. The main reason for the formation of the syndrome is the lack of glucose in the body. The development of the child's body is very intense, and for the realization of all the necessary biological and physiological processes, the child needs energy, the source of which is glucose.
Having exhausted its internal stores of glucose, the baby's body begins to draw it under the means of cleavage of glycogen and fat. The breakdown of the fat molecule leads not only to the release of glucose, but also to the appearance of additional units of ketone bodies. From here you can draw a logical chain, and understand the nature of the appearance of the odor of acetone from the mouth of the baby.
In addition to the characteristic ammonia odor, the acetone-ionic syndrome has a number of other manifestations, which include:
- the appearance of ammonia odor from the skin and urine of the child;
- appearance of nausea and vomiting, which can be repeated many times( 5-6 times a day);
- dehydration of the body with a pronounced syndrome of general intoxication of the body;
- pallor of the skin, or on the contrary, the appearance of a dubious blush on the face;
- total or partial lack of appetite;
- increase in body temperature to 37.5-39.0 degrees;
- phenomenon of tachycardia or arrhythmia;
- appearance of cramping diffuse pain in the abdomen, constipation.
The following factors may provoke the development of acetonemic syndrome:
- experienced the day before a strong fright;
- emotional and physical overstrain;
- pain caused by a number of reasons;
- body overload with excess intake of fats and proteins with food;
The excess of positive emotions that the child experienced the day before can also serve as the cause of the development of this syndrome.
In the absence of proper treatment, this syndrome can lead to a number of negative consequences, which include loss of consciousness and even to whom. In the event that the acetone syndrome occurs against the background of diabetes mellitus, the lack of food intake into the body within a few hours can turn into a child tragic consequences, including coma and death.
If the cause of ammonia smell from the mouth of a child is diabetes, infections, or helminthic invasions, then this condition is necessary only to remedy the underlying cause. The appointment of appropriate therapy is handled by a pediatrician or pediatric endocrinologist.
If changes in a child's diet have contributed to the appearance of this symptom, a diet that means a reduced amount of proteins and fats is sufficient to normalize the condition.
If the cause of the ammonia smell is acetone, the treatment of this condition is as follows:
- If the first signs of the syndrome develop( acetone smell), the child should be given a drink containing an increased amount of glucose. For this purpose, an ordinary fruit compote or a decoction of raisins is suitable.
- With the progression of the syndrome, the child begins to develop vomiting. In this case, the main task is to clean the intestine. To this end, you can use any intestinal sorbent( activated charcoal, 1 tablet per 1 kg of body weight of the baby).
- The child should be given a drink every 10 minutes, in the amount of 1 teaspoonful or a tablespoon. For this purpose, you can use mineral alkaline water, sweet tea or compote of dried fruits.
- If vomiting does not stop within 3 hours, call an ambulance immediately.
In hospitals, such medications as "Drotaverin"( No-Shpa), "Enterosgel", and "Regidron" are used to treat acetone syndrome.
The key to treating this condition is diet. Feed the baby follows easily digestible food, which contains a minimum of protein and fat.
To deal with a condition such as the smell of acetone from the mouth, a qualified medical specialist should be able to determine the true cause of this pathology.