- 1 Common causes of drowsiness
- 1.1 Sleep disorders that cause drowsiness
- 2 Sleep-inducing medications
- 3 Symptom of what kind of a disease can be drowsiness?
- 4 The most dangerous causes of sleepiness
- 4.1 Diagnostic questions that will help to identify the causes of drowsiness
The most common causes of drowsiness
Sleepiness can often be the result of general circumstances or conditions that affect sleep, such as:
- problems in life, resulting in a bad mood for
- non-normal operating mode or shift work;
- travels through several time zones.
Sleep disorders that are the cause of sleepiness
Sleep disorders are a common cause of drowsiness. This includes sleep apnea, insomnia, narcolepsy. Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder in which breathing during sleep is interrupted, and often several times during its entire duration. This causes a severe lack of oxygen for the body( including for the brain), as well as a constant sleep disorder, the consequence of this is drowsiness throughout the day, lethargy and fatigue. Apnea can be associated with serious diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, obesity. ...
Sleepiness can be caused by the following sleep disorders:
- insomnia( lack or poor quality of sleep);
- narcolepsy( sleep disorder, which is characterized by bouts of sleep during wakefulness);
- sleep apnea( a disorder characterized by interruption of breathing during sleep).
Drugs that cause drowsiness
Sleepiness can also be the cause of various types of drugs, including:
- anticonvulsant drugs( eg, drugs prescribed for epilepsy);
- antiemetics( used to reduce nausea);
- antihistamines or other anti-allergy drugs;
- sedatives or tranquilizers.
Symptom of which disease can be drowsy?
Sleepiness can often be a symptom of a particular human disease. In most cases, this disease of the body will be accompanied by other symptoms. Therefore, it is for these other symptoms that it is possible to answer the question "For which disease is drowsiness a symptom?" In a particular case.
Most diseases at some stage are accompanied by drowsiness and fatigue. The symptom of which disease can be drowsiness, will also help to establish the surrender of certain tests, if this is necessary because of the absence of obvious other symptoms indicating the causes of drowsiness. First of all, you should make a general blood test, a blood test for sugar, a general urine test and pay attention to the indicators indicating the presence of inflammatory processes in the body. In men, for example, daytime sleepiness may be a symptom of a disease such as chronic prostatitis. He is sometimes not accompanied by other pronounced symptoms until a certain point. Also, hormonal disorders can cause drowsiness, caused, for example, by problems with the thyroid gland. In general - immediately analysis, and then argue.
The most dangerous causes of drowsiness
In some cases, drowsiness can be a symptom of a serious or life-threatening condition that should be immediately identified and measures taken. Life-threatening causes of drowsiness include:
- Contusions or head trauma
- Hypernatremia( high levels in the body of sodium), which can cause cerebral edema
- Hyponatremia( low in the body of sodium)
- Hypothermia( supercooling)
- Overdose with
Drugs Questions fordiagnosis, which will help to identify the causes of drowsiness
To diagnose the causes of drowsiness, the doctor should ask a few questions about drowsiness. Usually they include the following:
- How long has this drowsiness been observed?
- Are there any other symptoms?
- Have you recently started taking any medications?
- How long does it usually take to sleep?
- Sleep is characterized by frequent awakenings? Did others talk about snoring?
- Is there a frequent increased desire to sleep, especially when working at a computer, after dinner, or while watching TV?
- Do you wake up with a sense of activity and vigor?
- Do you feel depressed or anxious, or have you recently had problems in life that could cause stress?
You can find out about possible and very common causes of drowsiness, as well as methods of their elimination: How to overcome drowsiness and constant fatigue. But in any case, if drowsiness and constant fatigue are strong and last for a while, then it's best to contact the doctor.
You can also find out more about drowsiness here: Drowsiness