We do not even notice what benefit and how much joy brings us knee joints. Walking, running, jumping, dancing, playing sports - all this is possible only thanks to healthy knees. But, alas, often these simple joyful movements become impossible due to the fact that they cause great pain.
That's why you need to take care of the health of your knee joints before you are overtaken by such problems. To this end, and was developed a unique orthopedic device for protection - a bandage on the knee joint. Today, there is a wide variety of such products for fixing the knee joint, which will help not only to save the health of the joint, but also to accelerate the recovery process after trauma, surgery, relieve pain with inflammation of the joint, and prevent its repeated damage. In this article, we'll look at what types of fixators are available for the knee, what they need and who needs to wear them.
All professional athletes defend their knees with special knee pads
Who needs the caliper of the knee joint?
There are four goals that physicians pursue when prescribing the wearing of an orthopedic knee joint:
- Prevention of injuries and diseases .Are applied at the raised or increased loadings on healthy joints. For example, wearing such bandages should be athletes during training and competition, as well as people whose activities are associated with increased stress on the knee - loaders, builders, those who are in the service of a lot of walking. Also, an elastic bandage is recommended for people with excessive body weight and congenital weakness of the ligamentous apparatus to prevent damage to articular cartilage and the development of arthrosis.
- Fixing the already aching joint .It is recommended to wear a compression bandage to those people who already have a disease of the musculoskeletal system. Such measures will prevent further damage to the knee and significantly slow the progress of the pathology, as well as reduce the number of exacerbations and reduce the severity of pathological symptoms, such as pain and swelling. In this case, the fixing bandage acts as an additional stabilizing element of the knee, prevents high-amplitude damaging movements.
- Restriction of movements in the knee .To this end, apply special rigid bandages( orthosis, tutor), which completely exclude the possibility of moving the knee, if this is prohibited. Today, such orthopedic devices are most often used during rehabilitation after trauma or knee surgery. Modern orthosis is an excellent alternative to uncomfortable and ugly gypsum bandages.
- Unloading the patient joint .It is indicated to people with acute inflammatory process or exacerbation of chronic arthritis of the knee, when each movement causes aggravation of pain and slows down the process of recovery.
Thus, the caliper on the knee joint can not only protect your healthy joints and protect them from injury, but also help to cure articular pathology and quickly get on your feet in the truest sense of the word.
Basic types of knee braces
Knee knee warming
In the modern market, there are a large number of manufacturers and, accordingly, the types of such orthopedic products. Therefore, having decided to get protection for the knee to yourself, first of all you need to decide what it is needed for, and also to understand what type of bandage is shown exactly in this case, and not forget about the necessary size.
For the manufacture of sports and other types of knee pads, use a large number of materials and varieties of fabrics, use also plastic and medical steel, various rivets, Velcro, hinges and regulators. All this depends on what type of bandage is manufactured.
There are 4 main types of knee retainers, which depends on the indications and the degree of fixation( the classification of Orlett, the world leader in the production of quality orthopedic products).
These are, as a rule, bandages from dense elastic fabric, which are worn on the knee and provide additional support for the structural elements of the joint. Most often, such elastic bandages are used with prophylactic purposes by athletes and people at risk, as well as patients with chronic diseases, to prevent exacerbations. This bandage retains heat and improves blood circulation in tissues, helps to reduce pain and swelling.
This group includes products that are able not only to protect and stabilize the joint, but also those that limit unwanted movements and at the same time allow you to perform allowed limb functions. As a rule, such knee pads have a more complex structure, are provided with several functional elements - clasps, hinges, regulators.
Such products provide restriction of prohibited movements, lateral knee stabilization, good compression, have a heat-saving effect, facilitate joint unloading, reduce pain and swelling. Their wearing is indicated for mild to moderate severity of injuries, with exacerbations of joint diseases and inflammation, with chronic knee instability.
1 - Elastic bandage for the knee, 2 - Functional caliper, 3 - Orthosis for staged fixation
Such orthoses are rigid. They are based on stiffeners made of medical steel, as well as retractable tires and hinged volume controllers. These are ideal products for the recovery period after a serious knee injury or surgery.
They allow you to limit the amplitude of movements within the allowed size and gradually increase it in the process of recovery. Thus, the patient does not have to change several types of products, it is enough to purchase such a multifunctional orthosis.
Products for complete immobilization of the knee joint are also called a tutor. This is the maximum degree of fixation and protection of the knee. At the heart of its design are metal tires and belts-puffs, usually on Velcro.
It is used for transport immobilization instead of tires, as well as for gypsum dressings in case of injuries and in the early postoperative period. The tutor is easy to put on and provides reliable protection, does not cause skin irritation and allergic reactions, unlike gypsum.
Tutor for complete immobilization in the knee joint
How to choose the right size?
The size of the knee is a very important parameter, as it particularly depends on it, whether the product will be useless or will reliably protect our knee. After all, a large bandage will not provide the necessary stabilizing, supporting and compression effect, and a small one can even do harm, aggravating the processes of capillary blood flow in tissues.
To choose a suitable size, you need to measure the thigh circumference in the lower third, respectively, with which the dimensions are selected. By the way, the length of the elastic band depends on the circumference - the larger the size, the longer the product.
Attention! The table shows approximate dimensions, they can vary significantly depending on the manufacturer and the specific band model.
|Size||Circumference of the lower part of the hip, cm|
|XXL||more than 62|
Measure the circumference with a centimeter tape, tightly applying it to the skin, but nottightening. In this case, the measurement will be correct.
It should also be noted that products that relate to a strong degree of fixation, do not have a size - it is regulated by the degree of tightening of the functional elements.
To determine the size of the knee band, the lower part of the thigh should be measured
The basic selection criteria for fixing the knee joint
When choosing the knee retainer, you need to focus on the following parameters:
- type of support( for basic, medium, high or heavy-duty fixation) and indications for its wearing( determined by the doctor);
- firm-manufacturer and price, and more expensive - does not mean better;
- the dressing material must be wear-resistant, it should be easy to wash, do not lose its properties with time( do not stretch and do not deform), be pleasant when touching the skin, do not soar, do not cause allergic manifestations( usually such products are made on the basis of neoprene,nylon, spandex, elastane, cotton);
- when buying, take into account the aesthetic qualities, but it is not recommended to buy light colored products, as they quickly become dirty, which leads to frequent washing and wear of the bandage;
- only need to take a suitable size;
- it is necessary to check up serviceability of all functional elements if such are present( lightnings, lipsticks, fasteners, belts, hinges);
- before final acquisition try on an orthosis, whether it is tight, does not rub.
It's important to remember! To choose such product, regardless of the purpose, it is necessary only on the recommendations of the doctor. The expert will determine exactly what type of bandage is needed in this case, tell about the types of products, give recommendations on the mode of wearing orthosis.
When wearing a knee bandage is contraindicated?
Contraindications to the wearing of elastic bandages for the knee practically none, among the relative prohibitions can be called:
- allergic reaction to the construction material;
- thrombophlebitis of the veins of the lower extremities;
- inflammatory and infectious lesions of the skin in the place of putting on orthosis;
- purulent inflammation of the joint, when thermal procedures are prohibited.
Care of the product
With each orthopedic product for the protection of the knee, the instruction for use and care is sold, which must be adhered to, so that your product has served as long as possible.
Basic Operating Tips:
- , it is not allowed to wash the knee pads in a washing machine - should only be hand washed;
- it is forbidden to dry the bandage in a suspended state - only spread out on a horizontal surface to prevent stretching and deformation of the product;
- also prohibits the use of additional chemicals, such as bleaches, when washing;
- is not recommended to iron the orthesis with an iron.
Knee joint bandage is a reliable and effective means of preventing primary damage, as well as the progression of pathology, if present. Therefore, every person who is at risk, especially professional athletes, must take care of the health of his legs and acquire such protection.
- Who needs the support of the knee joint
- The main types of shrouds for the knee
- How to choose the right size
- The basic selection criteria for the product
- When wearing the bandage is contraindicated
- Care of the product