A disease like chondrosis of the back is very insidious, which is its long asymptomatic course. Meanwhile, the pathological process quietly does its job, and when the first signs of the disease appear, it is sometimes very difficult to get rid of it. Chondrosis is the first stage of osteochondrosis, when pathological changes are localized only in the intervertebral disc and do not affect the bone and surrounding tissue.
For a long time it was believed that chondrosis is age-related changes in the spine. On the one hand, this statement is absolutely true - 80% of people aged 55 years have osteochondrosis, but not everyone has symptoms. Here, the main role is played by provoking and predisposing factors. In addition, in the last decade, a significant "rejuvenation" of the disease, which proves - not the whole thing at the age.
Causes of the disease
Until now, chondrosis remains to some extent a mystery disease, as the exact causes of its development can not be detected. Some people develop spinal cord injury, and some manage to avoid it. But there are known risk factors for the disease:
- diseases that lead to disruption of intervertebral disk nutrition( vascular disorders, metabolic diseases, endocrinological pathology);
- heavy physical labor( constant excessive stress on individual parts of the spine);
- a long stay in an uncomfortable and unphysiological position( for example, working at a computer);
- overweight and obesity;
- inadequate physical activity;
- chronic stress;
- irrational and unbalanced nutrition;
- acquired or congenital defects of the musculoskeletal system.
Long-term computer work is the main cause of chondrosis in young people
In order for a person to develop chondrosis symptoms, one of the three causative factors is necessary, and if all 3 causes work together, then surely the disease will occur.
Groups of causative factors that cause dorsal chondrosis:
- Dismetabolic factors. Violated processes of blood supply and nutrition of intervertebral discs, which leads to the development of dystrophic processes in them.
- Gravitational factors - displacement of the center of gravity of a person's body( stay in a non-physiological posture).
- Dynamic factors - heavy dynamic loads on the spine( weight bearing).
What happens in the depth of the spine?
To understand the whole essence of the pathogenesis( mechanism of the development of the disease) of chondrosis, it is necessary to have an idea of the intervertebral disc.
The intervertebral disc is a cartilaginous lining that lies between adjacent vertebrae. Due to its unique structure, the disk has amortization properties, provides flexibility of the spine, its mobility.
How to cure back pain?
There is an intervertebral disc with 2 parts: the inner( pulpous nucleus) and the outer( fibrous ring).Pulpoid nucleus is a gel-like mass that is rich in water and proteoglycans. Proteoglycans are the main structural elements that absorb moisture, which provides the disk with amortization properties, they consist mainly of components such as glucosamine, chondroitin and hyaluronic acid. The fibrous ring has a fibrous and firm structure, its function is to keep the pulpous nucleus in its place.
As a result of age-related changes, concomitant diseases, malnutrition of the disc, the pulpous nucleus loses water and dries up. In this regard, it loses its functions. If at this time on the spine are dynamic and static loads, the fibrous ring does not withstand pressure, cracking. As a result, the core of the disk is flattened and squeezed outward to form a disc herniation. On the edges of the vertebrae, osteophytes grow, deformations of the spine develop and various complications develop.
Since chondrosis is just the first stage of a long pathological process, its symptoms are not pronounced, and sometimes completely absent.
How to suspect chondrosis? The following features will help in this:
- Back pain is the most frequent and sure sign of pathology. Often the pain is not very strong, because of which patients practically do not seek medical help. It is monotonous, as a rule, appears after physical exertion, at the end of the working day.
- The localization of pain is different, depending on the affected part of the spinal column - neck, thorax or waist.
- Sometimes there is a sharp pain in the form of lumbago, but patients rarely pay attention to this, since this symptom immediately passes.
- A crunch during movements in the spine, most often such a sign can be met with a lesion of the cervical region, but when you are drawn into the pathological process of the lumbar region, you can also notice it. Practically not found in chest chondrosis, since this department is less mobile than the rest.
Back pain is the earliest, and often the only sign of chondrosis
. Perhaps that's all. With the progression of the disease and the development of the next stage of osteochondrosis, the symptoms of compression of the nerve roots of the spinal cord develop, which already makes it possible to diagnose the disease.
You can also diagnose the chondrosis stage .Although there are practically no clinical signs, but changes on the roentgenogram, the MRI will be clearly visible.
Principles of treatment
Than and how to treat chondrosis - this is not an easy question. It should be noted immediately that it is impossible to cure this disease. You can only stop its progression. The curative program can be divided into 2 stages:
- treatment of exacerbations;
- treatment during remission.
Treatment of exacerbations of
The main problem that appears with the aggravation of chondrosis is pain. All therapeutic measures should be aimed at eliminating the pain syndrome:
- compliance with bed rest;
- use of painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs, if the pain is severe, then injections are prescribed, if the pain is moderate, then they are treated with tablets;
- can be used locally as an ointment that has an anti-inflammatory, warming, analgesic effect.
Usually, when anti-inflammatory pills, injections and ointment are used in treatment, the pain quickly passes and the patient can start the second stage of treatment.
Treatment during remission of
Such treatment is aimed at normalization of metabolic processes, improvement of blood circulation in the tissues of the spine, strengthening of the muscular back skeleton, restoration of damaged discs.
Massage and manual therapy with chondrosis is an indispensable method of treatment and prevention of the progression of the disease
As a rule, non-drug methods are used to treat chondrosis:
- special gymnastic complex of exercises for strengthening the muscles of the back and restoring the mobility of the spine;
- massage and self-massage helps improve metabolic processes, improve blood circulation;
- manual therapy and traction;
- reflexotherapy, acupuncture, hirudotherapy;
- physical procedures - mud baths, electromagnetic therapy, laser treatment, alternating current, such procedures enhance the effect of medications, relieve inflammation and pain.
The obligatory stage is sanatorium-and-spa treatment. It will help you not only cope with the disease, but also have a good rest and have a great time.