Pain in the heel: why do they arise and how to get rid of them?
Many of us experience pain in the legs without giving them much importance. After all, in most cases, they are associated with physical overwork or trauma. But when the heel starts to hurt, we begin to worry about this. Sometimes the pain is so strong that it's just impossible to walk normally. Especially we begin to experience, if this symptom occurs for unknown reasons. And here there is quite a reasonable question - why do the heels hurt while walking and what to do about it?
An exact answer to this question can be given only after establishing the specific cause of pain in the heels. And to do this, you need to see a doctor and get tested. After all, the pain can be caused by:
- external factors;
- pathological factors.
In most cases, heel pain occurs as a result of an injury. It can occur not only as a result of strokes or bruises, but also systematic pressure on the back of the foot.
In women, this problem occurs as a result of wearing high-heeled shoes and heavy bags on the shoulder. Under such conditions, the distribution of the load on the legs occurs unevenly, which leads to the appearance of a pain syndrome. In this case, the pain may have a "shooting" character. Especially it is noted during walking and active physical activity.
It is also worth noting that the pain in the heel can provoke not only shoes with high heels, but too tight shoes. When it is worn, soft tissues are rubbed, which contributes to the appearance of an inflammatory process in them.
Such injuries are often accompanied by burning pain in the heel. If injuries to the ankle joints were obtained, it appears that a needle was inserted into the heel, which, when walking, sticks into the leg.
Also it should be said that such pains can cause corns and callosities. Carefully inspect the surface of the heels. If they have any education, then you need to get rid of them. However, you do not need to cut or pierce them yourself. There is a high risk of infection. In such cases, it is best to consult a doctor or an experienced manicurist.
Cracks on the heels can also lead to the onset of pain syndrome. They arise, as a rule, with improper care of the feet or excessive stress on them. Many women make a big mistake by cutting the rough skin on the heels with the help of a blade and other sharp objects, without even thinking that they are doing themselves harm.
It's all about the fact that when a person cuts off his skin, he traumatizes it and regeneration processes begin to activate in it - cell repair. As a result, the skin on the heels becomes even more compacted and coarse, then begins to crack even more.
The decision of this problem should also be entrusted to an experienced pedicure master. You should regularly make moisturizing masks and creams.
To avoid the appearance of heel pains from the effects of negative external factors, you need to do the following:
- wear only comfortable shoes without high heels and perfectly fit in size;
- regularly treat the surface of the heels with pumice stone;
- do various softening baths and masks;
- refuse to wear weights;
- provide their feet with a full rest.
All these activities will help you quickly eliminate pain in the heels. And if you continue to adhere to these rules, you once and for all can forget about the unpleasant sensations in the legs.
If the heels of the legs hurt for a long time, with the degree of pain gradually increasing, it's time to see a doctor. The point is that this symptom can indicate serious pathological processes that occur in the joints, cartilages and tendons of the part of the body in question. An example of this is the following diseases:
- Arthritis. One of the most common diseases, which is characterized by the occurrence in the joint tissues of the inflammatory process. It can appear both with frequent physical exertion, and in the presence of excess weight. A distinctive feature of this disease is that the pain mainly disturbs the patient in the morning hours. After taking a few steps, she gradually subsides. Eliminate the pain syndrome is helped by a light massage, but it can quickly return, it costs a person to climb the stairs or run. Treatment of this disease includes the use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs, both external and internal use. It is also important to adhere to the therapeutic diet, which helps to eliminate inflammation in the joints and normalize body weight, which leads to a decrease in the load on the body.
- Plantar fasciitis. Each person has a dense formation along the sole of the foot, located in the connective tissue( fascia of the sole).Under the influence of negative factors, this formation can respond with an inflammatory response. Under the negative factors in this case means wearing tight and uncomfortable shoes. A distinctive feature of this disease is that it leads to the deposition of salts instead of inflammation and can cause the development of the heel spur.
- Heel spurs. This disease is inherently the same fasciitis, but only it proceeds in chronic form. Salts that are deposited under the skin, provoke the appearance of a build-up on the heel, when pressing on which a person experiences acute pain. This is observed most often in the morning hours. It is necessary for a person to take several steps, as the education slightly "resolves" and the pain subsides. But if the patient is sitting or lying on the couch, for example, when watching TV, then this education reunites into a dense formation and the person begins to experience acute pain again. Treatment of this disease is very complicated and time-consuming. Most often requires surgical intervention.
- Inflammation of the Achilles tendon. This disease is accompanied by an inflammatory process in the tendon, which causes severe pain while walking. It can be localized both under the heel from the side of the sole, and above it.
- Reactive arthritis. This disease also occurs quite often and is accompanied by inflammatory processes in the joints. The cause of its development are infectious diseases, for example, venereal or chlamydia. Pathogenic microorganisms create a microflora in the periarticular tissues, which affects the joints in a negative way, causing a reactive inflammation in them. This disease is accompanied by persistent aching pains in the heel, which are significantly strengthened in moments of complete rest.
- Gout. This disease is extremely rare, but it can also cover the back of the foot. Gout is a chronic disease that leads to a metabolic disorder in the body. Tissues and joints stop eating properly, resulting in inflammation and their destruction. This condition is very dangerous and can cause severe damage to human health. Therefore, it is not worth delaying with the treatment of this disease. It is also necessary to follow a diet and take anti-inflammatory drugs.
What if my heels hurt?
If the pain in the heels has appeared as a result of exposure to external negative factors, then you should more carefully care for your feet and perform all those actions, which we have already talked about.
If the pain in the heels is caused by pathological processes, then you should immediately consult a doctor and undergo a full course of treatment. Articular diseases are very serious and can lead to disruption of the functionality of the entire musculoskeletal system.
If the doctor strongly recommends that you perform an operation, do not neglect his advice. It's in your interest. The thing is that there are situations when it is not possible to eliminate the inflammatory and deforming process with the help of medications. Therefore, doctors perform an operation during which the inflamed joints are removed. As a rule, after it is carried out, the motor function of the patient is quickly restored.