Most women during pregnancy experience swelling. This is due to the action of hormones and too much stress on the circulatory and lymphatic systems. Legs do not fit into their favorite boots, and all the rings become tight. In this there is nothing outlandish. But what does the swelling of the legs after childbirth mean? After all, with the birth of a baby, these problems should disappear. ..
Reasons for swelling after giving birth
If you think that immediately after birth your body should immediately reorganize, this, alas, is not so. He needs some time to return to his previous prenatal state. Because of this swelling after childbirth can remain a week or two, which is the norm. During such time the hormonal background normalizes, and the body stops storing water.
Sometimes the recovery process takes a little longer. All individually, and swelling can persist for up to a month, but then they all the same disappear. If more than a month has passed after giving birth, and swelling does not go away, the reasons lie in something else. You should pay attention to your health:
- Varicose veins are one of the most common causes. Perhaps you have this disease has been going on for a long time, and maybe it was caused by an increased strain on the blood vessels of the legs during pregnancy. However, with this problem, rarely when both legs swell uniformly, they usually become asymmetric: one leg swells more, and the other - less, and even does not change at all. Also, with varicose disease, puffiness is aggravated by the evening, and the next morning it practically disappears.
- Another reason for the swelling of the legs after the birth is kidney disease. It could also appear due to excessive stress on this organ during pregnancy. In this case, the kidneys can not cope with the timely withdrawal of excess fluid from the body.
- Swelling after pregnancy provokes an improper diet, in particular, eating a large amount of salt. Some women, especially if they do not breast-feed, believe that you can already relax and eat everything you want. As a result, an extra piece of herring or a pickled tomato, washed with plenty of water, can manifest as swelling.
- Some medications may also retain swelling of the legs after childbirth. Unfortunately, not always the postpartum period at women passes smoothly, and doctors appoint reception of antibiotics or steroid preparations which can render such unpleasant by-effects.
Baths with edema. Instruction for
What to do with swelling after giving birth
Even if you are completely sure that you are healthy, then puffiness, which persists for a long time, can not be ignored. The first thing to do if swelling after childbirth persists for more than 2-3 weeks is to check your diet, whether you consume too much salty and smoked food. If this is all right, then you need to see a doctor.
First, go to a phlebologist who can determine if you have an initial stage of varicose veins. When the situation is not yet started, it is easier to cope with it. At the first stages, it may be quite sufficient to take blood thinners and ointments. In the case when you do not have problems with the vessels of the legs, you need to contact the urologist.
Ways to relieve the condition with edema of the legs
Until swelling occurs after childbirth, it is not necessary to sit back and wait until everything goes by itself. You can help your body cope with the problem as follows:
- Get more rest. It's clear that when a screaming kid is around, it's not so easy to do, but at the first opportunity, try to lie down while lifting your legs.
- Make a contrast shower, drenching your feet alternately with hot and then cold water. Finish the procedure by rubbing the skin with a stiff washcloth.
- Massage improves blood circulation, and, therefore, reduces swelling. Use ice cubes to improve the result.
- Edema on the feet after birth generates in full force from the heat, but they are afraid of coolness, so avoid hot baths and closed "non-breathing" shoes in hot weather.
- Shoes, like clothes, should be comfortable. Give up tight pants, jeans, pantyhose, etc. They create an extra burden on the legs and complicate the outflow of blood and lymph.
But to indulge in medications or home recipes with a diuretic effect is not worth it. First, it is dangerous if you are breastfeeding, because unnecessary substances can get into the baby's body with milk. Secondly, you can hurt yourself. Foot swelling after childbirth is allowed to be treated with diuretics only after consulting a doctor.
Exercise from leg edema
Physical activity copes with many malfunctions in the body. After delivery, edema on the legs is also perfectly cleaned with various exercises that are very easy to perform. First, take yourself for a rule immediately after awakening, while still lying in bed, a few minutes to perform the exercise "bike" with high legs. It can also be done in the evenings before going to bed.
If you have to stand a lot, this is another reason why your legs swell after giving birth, so you should perform simple movements every half hour or so:
- Stand on the tiptoe for a few seconds and then lower all the way to the foot.
- Roll from socks to the heels.
- Stand on your toes and jump a little 5-10 times.
If necessary, a lot of sitting, periodically try to grab your fingers with a small object( pencil, ball, toy).
There is another good set of exercises that helps outflow of stagnant blood in the legs and gives them ease. Here's what you need to do every day if your legs swelled after delivery:
- Sit on the floor and pull out your legs exactly. Alternately, stretch forward then the toe, then the heel. Repeat 10-15 times.
- Lie on your back and lift one leg perpendicular to the floor. Try to reach out to her with your hands and grab your ankle. After 10 times change your foot.
- Again, sit on the floor with your legs straight, and tilt your body toward them, stretching your muscles. Do this carefully so as not to experience pain.
Our video. Puffiness on the face
How quickly do swelling occur after childbirth is normal? From a few days to two weeks. If you see that the process has dragged on, then you need to visit a doctor. Probably, it at you such feature of an organism, that he is more longly restored, and, maybe, and a sign of the begun illness.