Scoliosis is one of the types of curvature of the spine axis, which is based on its lateral displacements. This means that in scoliosis, the vertebral column is deformed in such a way that one or more of its sections are deflected to the right or left of the median line. The disease occurs mainly in childhood and adolescence. His treatment must necessarily be comprehensive. An important place of the medical complex is massage with scoliosis, which is devoted to this article.
The therapeutic possibilities of massage in the treatment of scoliosis
The basis of the therapeutic effect of massage on the course of the scoliotic process is the purposeful relief of the main links in the mechanism of triggering and progression of this disease. The effectiveness of the procedure is explained by such an effect on the tissue:
- Normalization of muscle tone. It is represented by its redistribution between stretched and flabby near-vertebral muscles due to an increase in their tone and strength. The contracted muscles on the other hand, on the contrary, become soft and supple. Due to this, the existing deformation is eliminated if it is reversible( maximum in grade 3 scoliosis).
- Improvement of blood circulation and lymph flow in affected tissues of the vertebral segment. Due to this, their nutrition is restored, trophic and regenerative processes are improved.
- Reflex action on pain receptors. Provides analgesic effect.
- Increased strength and elasticity of the ligamentous apparatus of the spine. The vertebrae become more mobile, which allows them to be repositioned in the physiological position in combination with the ability to stay in it.
- Generalizing and improving effect. Properly conducted massage positively affects the functioning of internal organs and the nervous system.
It's important to remember! Scoliosis massage is a mandatory and integral component of the curative program. Its effectiveness is the higher, the more the requirements to performance are observed and the degree of severity of scoliosis is less!
Like any other treatment technique, massage with scoliosis has its own distinct contraindications. These include:
- local changes in skin and soft tissues in a zone that will be susceptible to manual intervention( rash, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, pustular abscess, abscesses, etc.);
- combination of scoliosis with diseases of the spine, manifested by its instability( spondylolisthesis, large disc hernias, early recovery period after vertebral fractures, etc.);
- any acute diseases and conditions( inflammatory or active exacerbation of chronic pathological processes in any organs and tissues);
- oncological diseases, specific damage in tuberculosis and other infectious processes of any localization;
- increase in body temperature, regardless of the causes and nature of hyperthermia;
- postinfarction period, cardiac and hepatic-renal failure, uncorrectable hypertension, malformations.
Scoliosis is a disease mainly of children's age. The use of massage in these patients is characterized by high efficiency of
. The main rules and technique of performing
. Back massage in scoliosis is based on observance of certain rules of its conduct and organization. Knowledge of these subtleties and their introduction into practice will allow achieving higher results of treatment. The basic rules look like this:
- The main object of manipulation during the massage with scoliosis is muscle. The therapeutic effect of the method consists in relaxing and lengthening the toned muscles on the side of the concave part of the arch of the spine with simultaneous strengthening and contraction of muscle groups from the opposite side.
- Mandatory differentiated inclusion in the massage session, not only the muscles of the back, but also the belts of the upper and lower extremities( pelvis, shoulder straps, shoulders, hips), depending on the localization of curvature of the spine.
- The initial and final stages of treatment should be presented by intense surface massage techniques from scoliosis. This is necessary for the overall mobilization of the protective and restorative mechanisms of the body. The main deep corrective actions with respect to elimination of deformations are performed in the middle part of the treatment course.
- The impact on the muscular groups of the chest, gluteus and the shoulder area ensures the consolidation of the achieved results of the massage, the formation of a correct posture and establishes the formed motor-muscle stereotype.
- During the massage, special body positions must be used, in which the deformations are best eliminated.
- The height of the massage table should be such that the massage therapist had the opportunity to exert maximum force of manual influences( ideally the table should be slightly below the level of the fingertips of the hands).
- Children's massage for scoliosis should consist of 20-25 sessions, which are performed 2 to 4 times a year, which is determined by the degree of curvature of the spine and resistance to correction. The first sessions should last about 20 minutes with a gradual increase to 40-45 minutes.
It's important to remember! The effectiveness of massage in scoliosis increases with its combination with individually selected gymnastics to strengthen the muscles of the spine. The normalized tone is maintained at the proper level by muscles that have a strengthened structure. Only they are able to keep the vertebrae from re-deformation in the process of vital activity!
Some subtleties of
The direct massage technique for scoliosis should be based on observance of such subtleties:
- Manual effects on the muscles located on the concave side of the deformation should be represented by kneading, squeezing, shaking with rough vibration.
- The convex part of the arc is massaged by sliding, stroking, rubbing and weak vibrational movements.
- The impact on local nodal formations and muscle thickenings should be point and reflex.
- The intensity of manipulations that the masseur makes is determined by the individual characteristics of the musculoskeletal structures, their strength and compliance, the age of the patient and the degree of deviations available.
- The first during the massage should be massaged back( in the thoracic and thoraco-lumbar region), then you should act on the lower lumbar and gluteal region. The abdomen, chest and upper shoulder girdle are massaged last.
During the massage, patients suffering from scoliosis should use manual techniques performed from different positions of both the patient and the massage therapist
. How to massage
The methods of massage for scoliosis are best mastered with the help of educational videos. They can be represented by these types of manual effects:
- In a supine position with a turn of the head in the opposite direction from the maximum arc of curvature of the spine of the side. The masseur performs superficial stroking movements along the entire length of the back( 3-5 minutes).
- Differential massage from scoliosis - superficial manipulations of the muscles located on the side of the convex part of the spinal arc. On the opposite side, deep receptions are performed( their varieties are described in the rubric "some subtleties").
- Turn the patient on its side so that the spine is located concave side downwards( to the right side with right scoliosis, to the left side - with the left side).In this position, massage of the lumbar and gluteal regions is performed.
- Rotate the patient to the back. Trituration and massaging of the muscles of the thorax and intercostal spaces are performed. Point reflex segment massage. To begin to do massage of this type is not necessary from the first sessions. Their essence is in the performance of screwing, vibrating, stretching movements on a small zone in the region of a certain vertebral segment. Thus, elimination of reflex muscular spasm caused by irritation of the spinal roots is achieved.
It's important to remember! Not always on the background of the first massage sessions positive dynamics are registered. In some cases there is an increase in pain and worsening of well-being. All these phenomena in most cases are temporary and will eventually pass independently. They should not be the reason for refusing to continue the sessions!
According to most specialized centers, massage against scoliosis is an effective component of complex treatment. Most cases of the disease against the background of its implementation are characterized by a transition of the scoliosis of the third degree to the second. The first degree of scoliosis can be completely eliminated with the help of a massage alone.
- Massage options for the treatment of scoliosis
- Main rules and technique for performing
- Some details of
- How to do massage