In the pancreas, enzymes involved in the digestion process are produced. In addition, this body takes an active part in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. So if there are any problems, it will certainly be noticed. And because of what can cause pain in the pancreas? And how is treatment carried out in each particular case?
- Possible causes
- What should I do?
It would seem that pain in any organ is easy to identify. But in fact, sometimes things are not as easy as we would like. So, next to the pancreas are located and other organs that can also make themselves felt unpleasant sensations. We describe the main symptoms:
- In acute pain, severe, cutting. A person can not fully straighten himself.
- Unpleasant sensations can be localized in the left side, in the hypochondrium region or in the zone of the lower ribs. Often, pain is observed from the back, and often they are shrouded in nature, that is, spread to both the front and back of the trunk.
- Unpleasant sensations in the pancreas usually occur some time after eating( especially in large quantities).
- Many people experience nausea, with vomitive reflexes intensifying at the peak of pain and may then subside.
- In severe cases, vomiting occurs. For many, it is plentiful and frequent, and the contents of the vomiting masses are usually acidic, and sometimes even bitter( when bile is present).Treatment should be immediate, since with vomiting there is a large loss of fluid that can lead to dehydration.
- Since the enzymes for digestion are excreted in the pancreas, this process can also be broken, which can lead to diarrhea.
- The patient's appetite first decreases, then completely disappears.
- Unpleasant sensations in the pancreas pass when a person leans forward or just sits down. But when you return to the normal position, the pains increase again.
- In acute and severe forms of the disease, the body temperature of the patient may increase, and sometimes to quite critical marks( over 38-39 degrees).
- If you press your hand or finger on the area slightly above the navel, the discomfort will increase.
It should be noted that the pain in the pancreas can be confused with other problems, for example, with osteochondrosis of the spine, kidney disease and even with shingles. But with osteochondrosis, pressing on the spine will be painful, and such a sign is not characteristic for pancreatic diseases. With kidney disease, there will be changes in the urine. It can have an unpleasant smell, become dark and even have an admixture of blood. In addition, urination can provoke severe pain. Sometimes swelling is observed. But with shingles, a characteristic rash, which distinguishes this disease, will certainly arise.
Possible causes of
It is understood that any pain is a signal that there are problems and problems in the functioning of the body. And if we take into account the fact that several processes are occurring in the pancreas at once, we can conclude that the causes of the troubles can be various. The treatment will depend on the specific problem. We list several possible options.
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the organ described. They distinguish acute and chronic forms. When acute symptoms are more pronounced and obvious, and in chronic form, the disease can be lethargic. But in this case, exacerbations are inevitable. First, it is worth mentioning some possible causes of pancreatitis:Stones in the gallbladder.
gallbladder disease( eg, stones in them);
Now it is necessary to list the symptoms:
- Acute pains that can spread to the area of the hypochondrium and the zone just above the navel. Usually they are shrouded.
- The pain does not pass even after taking pain medication and antispasmodics. They can subside only if the patient leans forward, sits down or lies, kneeling to his chest.
- There is nausea, which later goes into vomiting( vomiting is acidic or bitter).
- The chair will also be broken, diarrhea will begin. Feces will have a consistency of liquid porridge, in which you can see the particles that have not had time to digest food.
- Weakness is noted, appetite disappears.
- There may be manifestations of general intoxication: fever, fever, chills or fever.
Do not pull and do not suffer pain! Immediately contact your doctor for treatment. The consequences of this disease can be extremely difficult and spread even to the lungs. In the pancreas there will be irreversible changes: tissues can die, the organ will completely cease to function. Probable fatal outcome.
Treatment of acute pancreatitis involves a complete refusal of food until the organ functions are fully restored. This can take several days or even a week. With prolonged fasting, the food is administered intravenously. In especially severe cases, surgical intervention is indicated. Also, intravenous injections of colloidal and saline solutions are necessary. Inhibitors that block the activity of enzymes are used. Anesthetic therapy is carried out.
Treatment of chronic form is also necessary to avoid exacerbations. It is important to follow a diet that excludes sharp, smoked and fatty foods, as well as alcohol. The doctor can prescribe the intake of enzymes and vitamins. In addition, you need to eliminate the root cause of the disease( eg, metabolic disorders or bad habits).
When listing reasons for the pain and discomfort in the pancreas, you should not forget about cancer. They, unfortunately, can also arise. We will not go into details, we will highlight some manifestations of cancer of this organ:
- Pain of shingles. In the early stages of the disease, they are not strong, blunt or aching, but as the tumor grows, the tumors will certainly begin to increase and make themselves felt.
- The patient begins to lose weight quickly due to a decrease( and then a complete loss) of appetite.
- There is a weakness, a constant causeless increased fatigue.
- Jaundice may occur. Sclera of the eyeballs acquire a characteristic yellowish hue. Skin can also begin to turn yellow.
- The chair will be original. Often it is liquid and "fatty" because of the inability to process lipids.
- Indigestion may be noted: vomiting or nausea, diarrhea.
Treatment of cancer can only be prescribed by a doctor. Most often used methods of chemotherapy, rarely prescribed radiation.
Disturbances in metabolic processes
As in the pancreas some important metabolic components are isolated, it is logical that some metabolic disturbances and abnormalities can adversely affect this organ and even cause pain. It is worth dwelling on the most common disease of this nature, namely diabetes mellitus. With this disease, the body produces an insufficient amount of insulin, or this insulin itself can not be properly absorbed. Now, let's list some of the symptoms of diabetes:
- Dryness of the skin. Some have cracks and even trophic ulcers.
- Drawing and pressing pain in the stomach and back. Many have a weight in this zone.
- Wounds heal very long, can fester.
- The patient complains of constantly thirsting for his thirst, dry mouth.
- Often there is a decrease in appetite, there may be weakness, there is increased fatigue.
Treatment of diabetes is prescribed by a doctor. It may include injections of insulin. It is always important to monitor blood sugar levels. Also a fairly strict diet is shown, which excludes fatty, sweet, salty, pickled and smoked. Flour should also be limited.
What should I do?
So, what are the actions if there were sharp pains in the pancreas?
- It is worth to give up food at least for a day. Use water without gas in small sips and often.
- You can take "No-shpu" to relieve spasm.
- In some cases, "Pancreatin" is effective( only after consulting a doctor).
- When you vomit you can take "Motilium" or "Cerucal".
- To the area of the lesion, a cold water bottle can be applied, which will help remove the edema and ease the condition.
To avoid trouble, you need to follow some preventive measures:
- Eat right, do not overeat and do not eat large amounts of fatty foods.
- Do not drink alcohol, give up cigarettes.
- Monitor your digestion and the health of organs such as the stomach and gallbladder.
- Discard frequent medication without obvious cause.
- Monitor the metabolism, watch it.
You can only add that the pain in the pancreas is a rather disturbing symptom that should make you consult a doctor. Take care of yourself!
- Causes of pain in the mammary gland
- Symptoms of pancreatic disease in humans
- Inflammation of the pancreas diet
- Girdle in the stomach region
- Pain in the navel area of the cause