Diathesis is a very, very common problem that many parents of children of the first year of life face. And because of what such a disease occurs in infants? And how to treat it?
- What is it?
- What causes an allergen?
- Manifestations of
- What should I do?
What is it?
What is diathesis? This is not even a disease, but a condition in which the baby's immune system perceives certain components of food and the environment as foreign bodies( allergens) and attacks them, producing a special hormone called histamine, which triggers the development of symptoms characteristic of an allergic reaction. Diathesis, in fact, can be called an allergy, but it is worth noting that this state has a certain age range and manifestations. So, most often it is found in infants, that is, in babies from birth to up to three years. Some doctors associate this state with the immaturity of the digestive system, which so far can not fully process all the components of food entering the body( namely into the digestive tract).But there are other possible causes, which can sometimes be very difficult to detect.
This condition manifests itself most often in the form of rashes on the skin of the baby. They cause discomfort and unpleasant sensations, provoking irritability and anxiety. In most cases, the diathesis goes by itself to three years, but in some cases, manifestations accompany a person throughout his life. And even to treat the patient in this case is useless.
The causes of this condition have not been identified and are reliably established. But there are a number of factors that can have a negative impact on the baby's body and trigger mechanisms for the development of diathesis.
We list several such factors:
- Hereditary predisposition. It is noticed that diathesis can be inherited. And if this condition was present in the anamnesis of both parents, the risk of its development in the child is increased.
- Negative environmental impact and unfavorable ecology( air pollution, plant emissions).
- The use of a large number of potentially allergenic products during pregnancy( milk, chocolate, nuts, citrus and so on).
- Abuse of medicinal products and biologically active additives during the period of gestation.
- Severe toxicosis( especially if it lasted almost throughout the entire pregnancy).
- Incorrect nutrition, lack of nutrients during pregnancy.
What can be an allergen?
To learn how to treat this condition in infants, it is important to find out what can act as an allergen. We list several possible options:
- The most common cause of rashes are food that the child himself or her nursing mother uses during lactation( substances will certainly get into the baby's body with milk).These include: chocolate, milk, eggs, citrus and exotic fruits, honey, nuts, fish and seafood and so on.
- Sometimes, allergies are provoked by substances and components contained in air or in dust( eg, plant pollen).
- A tissue that is in direct contact with the baby's skin can also provoke the development of an undesirable reaction. Most often, allergies are caused by synthetic tissues, animal hair.
- Cosmetic products( creams, lotions, oils) and personal care products( soap, shampoo) can also contain allergenic components.
Sometimes it's incredibly difficult to establish what exactly a reaction is about. Sometimes several products are allergenic, which complicates the task. To find out what it is worth to refuse, it is important, first, to strictly monitor the ration of the baby or lactating mother. Secondly, after the introduction of a new product, you should wait a few days to follow the reaction. To introduce several products at the same time is not worth it. To facilitate the task will help maintain a food diary, where you should write down everything that was eaten during the day.
Now it is worth mentioning the manifestations:
- Rash on the body of a baby. Most often it is located on the cheeks, although in some cases it can cover other areas of the body. It looks like a rash like red bubbles, which then burst, forming a crust.
- Places of rashes strongly itch, itch.
- The skin of the cheeks can be dry and strongly flaky. In addition, in children with this condition, the skin is often thin and prone to damage.
- Infants may develop digestion. The stool becomes frequent and liquid, in it mucus or foam can be observed. There may also be abdominal pain, grumbling.
- The kid becomes capricious, restless, excitable. Because of itching, there may be problems with sleep.
What should I do?
How to treat diathesis? You can do this only under the supervision of a doctor!
Here's what a specialist can advise:
- It is worth preventing contact with allergens. Knowing the specific allergens, you can reduce the manifestations to a minimum.
- If thick and hard crusts form on the site of rashes, then they need to be removed. To do this, the zone is treated, for example, with vaseline oil, covered with a cloth or paper to soften, and then the crusts are carefully removed, not deteriorating the healthy skin.
- Special attention should be paid to hygiene of the baby. To bathe the crumb is better every day( preferably in boiled water).Shampoos and other means should not be used( you can once or twice a week apply only those allergies to which there).Folds can be processed with natural oils.
- To remove itching and burning and to eliminate dryness, you can use local non-hormonal drugs such as Bepanten, La Cree, Baby Cream and others. Study the composition of all creams, start using gradually and carefully to avoid allergies to the components of the product.
- You can treat diathesis with the help of sorbents, which remove toxins from the body. You can use such drugs as Enterosgel, Enterofuril, activated charcoal.
- You can also treat this condition with the help of folk remedies. Good help broths turn, chamomile.
And remember that diathesis requires action and treatment. So when you have a rash, show your baby to the doctor.