It is believed that some diseases can affect only children. But, for example, stomatitis can occur in adults. Symptoms and treatment of the disease in this case will be somewhat different. And how to treat such a disease?
- What is it?
- Reasons for
- Manifestations of
- What should I do?
- Eliminate the cause of
- Observe the gentle mode of
- We promote wound healing
- Use antiseptics
- Relieve pain
What is it?
So, stomatitis, the treatment of which will be considered in this article - is a disease associated with inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth. In adults, this ailment is not so common, but people of all ages and social strata can be exposed to it, no one is immune from this.
There are many types of diseases. So, three forms of flow are distinguished:
- The catarrhal form is the easiest. Usually it is manifested as a burning sensation in the oral cavity, which can be accompanied by a slight reddening. Treatment of adults can be done at home, but better on the advice of a doctor.
Ulcerous form, as a rule, is a complication of catarrhal and is characterized by the appearance of sores that affect not only the mucous membranes but also the deeper tissues, which makes them very painful. Edges of ulcers have a red edging.
- Aftoznaya form is the heaviest. It manifests itself in the form of bubbles with a cloudy liquid. Such swelling is so painful that they stop talking and eating.
If the classification is based on the causes of the development of the disease, then we can distinguish the following:
- Allergic stomatitis is one of the manifestations of allergy, the effect of allergens on mucous membranes.
- Traumatic stomatitis occurs as a result of injuries and injuries to the mucous membranes of the mouth.
- Viral stomatitis is a consequence of virus attacks( eg, herpes).
- The bacterial form is determined by the activity of certain bacteria.
- Fungal stomatitis is the result of the activity of fungi( most often candidias, which provoke the development of thrush).
Species and forms have been considered not in vain, since the treatment of this disease in adults depends on the cause of its development. So first you need to establish negative factors of influence to act directly on them.
If you do not know the causes of such an unpleasant illness, then effectively treat it and prevent it from failing. If factors are not eliminated, the disease will occur again and again.
So, why can there be stomatitis in adults?
- Damage to the mucosa( eg, injury with a toothbrush, dentures or rough food).
- Burns. They can occur when you use too hot food.
- Unbalanced nutrition and, as a consequence, a shortage of certain minerals, micro- and macro elements, as well as vitamins.
- Effects on mucous membranes of aggressive substances( they may be contained in alcohol, beverages, in food and even in toothpastes or in mouth rinses).
- Receiving funds that reduce salivation or discharge excess fluid from the body( diuretics).The fact is that if the amount of saliva is insufficient, the mucous membranes dry up and become prone to any negative influences.
- Smoking or abuse of alcoholic beverages.
- Non-observance of the rules of oral hygiene.
- Diseases of the digestive system.
- Weakened immunity.
- Hormonal disorders can also be attributed to negative factors.
How does stomatitis manifest itself? Usually in adults, it runs in a fairly easy form, but still some symptoms are very painful.
We list the possible signs:
- Appearance of redness in the mouth.
- In place of redness, a white sore with a red border can then form. Most often, ulcers occur on the inner sides of the lips, on the palate and on the cheeks.
- There are painful sensations. They can be quite strong and stop eating and even talking.
- There may be increased salivation.
- Sometimes you get an unpleasant odor from your mouth.
- Acute stomatitis is accompanied by an increase in temperature. Treatment in this case should be immediate.
When these symptoms are found, it is best to consult a doctor so that he can determine the specific form and prescribe an effective treatment.
What should I do?
How to treat this disease in adults? Treatment requires an integrated approach, as it is important to eliminate symptoms and remove unpleasant and painful sensations. But, first of all, it is necessary to find out and eliminate the cause of the development of such an unpleasant disease. There are several important points, we will dwell in more detail on each.
Eliminate the cause of
There are several options:
- Fungal stomatitis must be eliminated through the use of antifungal agents. They can be used topically or in the form of tablets or capsules. And it is better to combine intake and local use, this will speed up the healing process. This form can be treated with the following local drugs: nystatin ointment, gel "Miconazole", "Clotrimazole", levoronovaya or dekaminovy ointment. As for the drugs of general action, then effective such as "Levorin", "Nystatin" and other similar. Dosages are determined by the doctor. The course of treatment usually lasts one to two weeks, it can not be interrupted, even in the absence of symptoms and if there are signs of recovery( the fungi will again become active, and the disease will resume).
- The adult viral form should be treated with antiviral agents. Local( in the form of ointments, gels and creams) can be used: "Viferon", "Zovirax", "Acyclovir" and others. Simultaneously with local therapy, general treatment with the following drugs should be carried out: "Acyclovir", human interferon.
- Treatment of a bacterial form involves the administration of antibiotics. But be careful! First, for each specific type of bacteria should be selected certain drugs. Secondly, some drugs have many side effects and contraindications. So go to a specialist so that he can prescribe a remedy. Do not buy anything on the advice of friends or, believing advertising. Is it dangerous.
- Allergic stomatitis in adults should be treated with antihistamines such as Tavegil, Suprastin, Zirtek, and others. Also, you must definitely limit any contact with allergens.
- Treatment of a traumatic form of the disease involves the elimination of manifestations.
Observe the gentle mode of
To speed up the process of tissue regeneration, you need to be gentle.
Here's what you can do:
- Discard acidic foods and drinks. For a while forget about juices, fruits, berries.
- Food and liquids should be at room temperature( not cold and not hot).
- Salty or spicy food can also have a negative effect on mucous membranes.
- All products for the time of illness are better milled to a puree state in order to avoid mechanical impact.
- If you have severe pain while moving lips and tongue, try to reduce them.
We promote the healing of wounds
If stomatitis is accompanied by the formation of ulcers, then to accelerate their healing, you can use tools such as "Solcoseryl", sea buckthorn oil or rosehip oil, Shostakovskiy's balm( it is often called "Vinilin"), "Carotolin" and the like. All these agents are applied topically and significantly accelerate the healing process, provided that they are regularly applied( in most cases, several treatments per day are required).
Treatment of such a disease in adults must necessarily include the use of antiseptic agents, disinfecting the surface and preventing the spread of infection. You can use hydrogen peroxide, Miramistin, Cameton, Lugol and other means.
If stomatitis is accompanied by severe pain, it is advisable to include in the complex treatment the use of painkillers. You can use the following: "Kamistad", "Anestezin", "Lidocaine Acept" and others.
Prevention of stomatitis:
- Avoid damage to the oral cavity.
- Maintain hygiene, brush your teeth regularly, use non-aggressive pastes and other products.
- Strengthen immunity.
- Get rid of bad habits.
- Wash hands before eating.
It remains to wish not to face such an unpleasant illness.