The main thing that parents should learn is that they do not cure a cold. Treat its causes. Before starting therapy, it is necessary with the help of a doctor to determine the nature of the common cold: viral, bacterial, or allergic. Each kind of cold is treated differently.
Unfortunately, infants often suffer from rhinitis. The question of how to treat a runny nose in a babe excites absolutely all parents who have encountered this problem. Incorrect treatment can cause a number of serious complications, which is why the health of toddlers should be treated with care.
- What is a physiological runny nose?
- When should I contact a doctor?
- What is the risk of a runny nose in an infant?
- How the disease develops
- Treatment of
- What can not be done categorically
What is a physiological runny nose?
Runny nose is usually just a protective function of the body. More mucus begins to appear in the nose of the child than usual. In this way the body tries to fight the infection, removing all bacteria, dust, viruses with the help of mucus.
Not always wet nose at the kid - a sign of infectious diseases. In infants, a physiological runny nose is very common - a protective reaction of the body to unfavorable conditions( dry air, for example).
When the crumb is in the tummy of a mother, oxygen comes to him through the placenta and umbilical cord, while the nose does not participate in this process. After birth, the mucous membrane of the child does not work for a while, mucus in the nose is not formed. But the new conditions of life, nasal breathing gradually lead to the fact that the mucosa is activated and begins to develop a secret.
At first, the mechanism of mucus production does not work well enough, the discharge is first produced in excess. Some factors can exacerbate this process:
- High temperature in the street and at home.
- Dry air.
- Viral or bacterial infection.
The crumb begins to snag with a spout, so parents think that the child is sick. But if the doctor excludes the presence of infectious or other ailments that could provoke excessive discharge of mucus from the nose, you can calm down: the baby just a physiological runny nose.
Mucous infants work in the mode of increased mucus formation on average during the first 3 months of life. To the crumb did not feel any discomfort, it is enough to maintain the optimum temperature and humidity in the room.
When should I contact a doctor?
If the wet nose is the only thing that worries parents, there is no reason for panic. Help attention, caress, optimal humidity and air temperature in the nursery. But if the following symptoms start to appear in the baby, it is necessary to show the baby to the doctor:
- The child refuses to breast.
- It's hard for Kroha to breathe.
- Nasal discharge yellow or greenish.
- The child has a fever, he cries.
What is the risk of a runny nose in an infant?
The nose performs many important functions for the body:
Runny nose usually breaks one, several or all of the above functions. This can lead to quite serious abnormalities in the body. Any prolonged disruption of nasal breathing in infancy carries a serious risk to the health and even life of the crumbs.
The main thing that moms and dads should know about: infants can not breathe with their mouths. Therefore, a stuffy nose is a very dangerous phenomenon for babies, which requires treatment. In addition, a runny nose can lead to other unpleasant consequences:
- Wrong process of formation of the facial skeleton, as well as the chest.
- Oxygen metabolism disturbance.
- Disturbance of the respiratory system.
- Violation of the functions of the cardiovascular system.
- Sleep disturbance.
- Fast fatigue.
- In the future, the baby can be inattentive, distracted.
Violated the work of special cilia, which remove foreign particles from the baby's body. As a result, the crumb increases the risk of allergic reactions.
Inflammatory process in the nose in a child can provoke more serious diseases: violations of the kidneys, bronchial asthma.
How the disease develops
There are several stages in the development of the disease:
Develops very quickly, for several hours. Vessels are narrowed, as a result of which the mucous membrane suddenly pales. The baby dries up in the nose, it begins to sneeze.
Lasts usually 2-3 hours. Vessels widen, the mucous blushes and swells. It becomes difficult for the baby to breathe, it sniffs.
- If a bacterial infection gets into the nose, the third stage begins. The general condition of the baby is improved, the swelling is gone. But the discharge from the nose acquires a green or yellowish color.
Runny nose lasts 7-10 days. Some stages may be completely absent or more pronounced than others.
If the wet spout is the only symptom and the baby does not worry anymore, the treatment of such a cold in babies suggests:
- Frequent ventilation of the children's room.
- Maintain a comfortable temperature and humidity.
- Wet cleaning is often necessary.
- Humidifiers should be used if necessary.
The main thing in this case is not to let the mucus in the nose of the baby dry up so that the pathogenic bacteria and viruses do not penetrate the respiratory tract.
Treatment of a runny nose in infants suggests:
- Spraying the spout with saline solutions and solutions based on seawater. This procedure does not allow the mucus to dry out, soften the dried crust, which can easily be removed with a cotton swab.
For these purposes you can use:
- "Salin"( 120 rubles).
- "Aquamaris"( 200 rubles).
- "Aqualor Baby"( 600 rubles).
These agents not only moisturize the nasal mucosa, but also improve its overall condition.
Ordinary saline solution can also be used. It costs a penny, and the action has almost the same as expensive means.
Caution: for babies, it is possible to use exclusively solutions in the form of drops to flush the nozzle, since sprays can cause a very dangerous spasm of the larynx.
It should also be very carefully instilled in the baby's spoon, since in the chests the auditory tube and the nasopharynx are at the same level. And if you slop in the nasal passages of the drop, they can get into the eye, causing an inflammatory process.
Use of vasoconstrictor drops.
Unlike saline solutions, these drugs should be prescribed only by a doctor, since the vasoconstrictive drops produce a strong effect on the mucous membrane. If the baby is having trouble breathing through the nose as a result of the mucosal edema, the doctor can prescribe these drugs to relieve the baby's condition.
For these purposes you can use:
- "Nazivin"( 100 rubles).
- "Vibrocil"( 240 rubles).
- "Nazol Baby"( 100 rubles).
Important: Drugs can be used no longer than 5-7 days, because they quickly become addictive. Bury in the nose you need only warm drops.
- Aspirators are devices that allow the extraction of excess mucus from a child's spout. Since the little woman can not blow his nose, he needs help in this difficult matter.
If the doctor has confirmed that a runny nose has caused a viral infection, it is very effective to dig in the spout with interferon. In addition, the mother's milk contains the same interferon, so you need to often put the crumbs to the chest.
What to do categorically not possible
Because the mucous membrane of the nose is very tender and the nasal passages short, you need to be as careful as possible:
- You can not wash the baby's nose with enemas, pears.
- Do not suck off mucus from the interior of the nose.
- You can not dig in the spout with breast milk. Milk is an excellent medium for the reproduction of bacteria. Forming crusts in the nose, it creates excellent conditions for the development of infection.
- Breastfeeding is contraindicated with local antibiotics for instillation into the nose.
- It is necessary to be very careful with vasoconstrictors, since an overdose can cause mucosal atrophy.
- Chest discomfort in the middle of the
- Than to treat the ear