Varicella is an acute infectious disease, the degree of infection which is extremely high. Chickenpox in adults is a rare phenomenon, as most of us have had it in our childhood. If chickenpox penetrates into the organized collective, it spreads with the speed of a forest fire. If you are in contact with a sick person, you will become infected with a probability of 99% and become a carrier of infection 48 hours before the early symptoms appear.
The causative agent of the disease is a virus belonging to the herpes group. As in the case of children, chickenpox in adults is transmitted by airborne droplets. This means that you can become infected by simply going into the elevator after a person who is prone to illness. Prepare for the fact that in adults, malaise manifests itself in a greater degree.
- Flow characteristics
- Symptoms of
- Complications and consequences
The average incubation period of chickenpox is 14 days. The greatest chance of catching the infection is in the winter and spring. Chickenpox is not always affected by an adult organism - it depends on the strength of immunity. If you are still infected with this infection - look for a reason in the weakened immune system.
In the risk zone are people who have undergone a major operation or undergoing radiation and chemotherapy. In the period of hormonal restructuring of the organism with chickenpox, teenagers can become infected. You can catch the disease and from a person affected by shingles, because the basis of the two ailments are the same provocateurs. The older the patient, the more complex the nature of the disease, and the more extensive the clinical picture. Therefore, having become infected with chickenpox, immediately begin treatment.
Symptoms of the disease manifest themselves brightly, but not instantaneously. The first signs of malaise are felt about 30 hours before the appearance of the rash. In addition, the patient is faced with:
- subfebrile temperature;
- an aching in muscles and joints;
- general weakness.
Soon the brain begins to swell, the peripheral nervous system is also involved in the process. There are secondary symptoms - convulsive twitchings and photophobia. Soon chicken pox enters the decisive stage - skin rashes. In adults, the following symptoms begin to be traced:
- profuse rash;
- wave-like podsypaniya( last about 10 days);
- rashes on mucous membranes, in the mouth and in the genital area of adults;
- intoxication( lethargy, malaise, migraine, apathy, weakness, joint aches, dry mouth);
- stratification of pyogenic microflora( pustule formation, vesicle aggravation, formation of scars and sores);
- atypical forms;
- multiple complications.
- temperature rise( up to 40 degrees);
With weak immunity in adults,
- sepsis may develop;
- necrotic disease.
Faced with these symptoms, immediately begin treatment, because chickenpox can develop into a dangerous pathology.
In case the infection affects the body of a pregnant woman, the ailment represents a double hazard. Infectious process affects not only the health of the mother - it can hit the fetus, which is much worse. In some cases, the fetus is killed or spontaneous interruption occurs.
Among the congenital abnormalities associated with the course of chickenpox, sometimes there are:
- mental( physical) retardation;
- pathology of the visual apparatus.
However, the threat of chickenpox presents only in the first months of pregnancy.
Complications and consequences
Doctors state that chicken pox in adults is fraught with a number of bad consequences. The herpes virus gradually penetrates into the internal organs, causing disruption in the functioning of the endocrine and immune systems. Over time, complications in adults break out in the following foci:
- Respiratory system( pneumonia, laryngitis, tracheitis).
- Nerve nodes( encephalitis, meningitis, cyst and cerebral edema, cerebellar ataxia, skeletal muscle paralysis, polyradiculoneuritis).If chickenpox affects the central nervous system, death in adults can occur within 24 hours.
- Cardiovascular system( thrombophlebitis, arteritis, myocarditis, excessive thrombosis, hemorrhagic syndrome).
- Musculoskeletal department( synovitis, fasciitis, myositis).
- Other systemic lesions( hepatic abscesses, hepatitis, nephritis).
Even after the treatment of chickenpox is successfully completed, the patient is restored for a long time, feeling motor stiffness. Occasionally, renal and hepatic pathologies of a chronic nature develop.
In adults, therapy has a symptomatic basis. The first step will be to call a doctor, make a diagnosis and develop a therapeutic strategy. Often, treatment is done on an outpatient basis - the patient is prescribed a sick leave sheet and bed rest is prescribed. In addition, a number of special procedures are provided, abundant drinking, a dairy diet, and the use of antihistamines.
Patients are recommended soap bubbles. Preferably, the soap is used bactericidal( or baby), cope with drying the skin blisters.
If the itching becomes unbearable, the patient is prescribed sodium bicarbonate( 5 percent solution) and talc, based on menthol. Sodium solution can be bought for 37 rubles, talcum powder - for 290-300.
Bubbles should never be combed - this can lead to subcutaneous infection in the body. That, in turn, is fraught with additional suppuration, and in the future - the formation of scarring and small scars.
The antihistamines will have the following effect:
- diazolinum( 27-110 rub);
- suprastin( 120-130 rub);
- tavegil( 150-170 rub).
Skin eruptions are lubricated and ordinary greens, which helps to quickly dry the wounds.
Treatment with folk remedies also brings some relief to the patient who has been affected by chicken pox.
- Herbal infusion. Ingredients: lemon balm, basil, calendula, chamomile flowers( one tablespoon, mix everything).The mixture is poured with boiling water( 1 glass), tightly wrapped and infused for half an hour. Then the broth must be filtered. Use - every 3 hours for half a cup.
- Decoction of parsley. Take chopped parsley leaves( 1 tablespoon) and pour the standard volume of boiling water( glass).Insisting lasts a quarter of an hour( in heat).The next step is percolation. The drug is used in a warm form every 4 hours( a quarter of a glass).
- Lemon juice. Freshly squeezed lemon( juice) in equal proportions is mixed with honey. The resulting mass must be consumed after a meal( a serving - 1 teaspoonful).
Rid of itching
The main problem with rashes accompanying chickenpox is an intolerable itch, preventing the patient from concentrating on anything other than his own suffering."Windy" itching sometimes leads the patient to complete frenzy, provoking neurosis, insomnia and a wide range of nervous disorders. You can remove itching in three ways.
- Calm the nerves. For this, the patient is prescribed sedatives based on natural extracts( valerian, motherwort, Novopassit).Occasionally, tranquilizers are used. Sleeping and at the same time soothing action is the drug "Fenibut"( 90-140 rubles), as well as "Fenazepam"( 70-80 rubles).
- Remove swelling and inflammation. Here antihistamines help about which we wrote above.
- Remove itching with external preparations. Here you will need all kinds of gels and creams: "Viferon"( 138-161 rubles), "Infagel"( 83-340 rubles), "Irikar"( 320-340 rubles).
The most important thing that you need to know - vaccination from chickenpox is done by everyone, regardless of age. Make yourself such an ukolchik - and forget about all future problems. Previously, the doctor will send you a blood test to find out if you have had this infection in a distant childhood.
If the result of the analysis is negative, prepare for the first vaccination, and a month later, fix the result. Vaccination is an ideal means of preventing chickenpox.
- How does the nervous breakdown of