Gout is a disease caused by a metabolic disorder. With this pathology, uric acid salts are deposited in the joints. Now this disease is not common - about 0.3% of people, so many do not even know what it is. Gout can affect any joints.
The main causes of the development of
A steady increase in the level of uric acid in the blood is the main cause of gout. Its derivatives are crystallized and deposited in the joints, which eventually leads to their complete destruction.
To increase the level of uric acid in the body can impair kidney function, in which they are unable to remove from the body. Gout on the legs occurs more often. This is due to the eating habits of modern people who eat a large amount of food with a high content of purines - fatty fish, meat and other products. And also drink too much alcohol. These causes have a negative effect on metabolic processes in the body, which causes gout.
Symptoms of gout
Symptoms of gout are associated with its main manifestation - gouty arthritis. Most often the disease affects the joint of the big toe in the area of the bone. Attacks occur in the morning or at night. In this case, the patient suddenly has a severe pain in the joints of the legs, which is of a crushing nature. In the region of the joint, a tumor forms, a temperature that rises. The skin around the joint of the big toe turns red and glossy.
Repeated seizures may indicate a risk of partial joint fracture if other joints are involved in the inflammatory process.
In the daytime, the pain is significantly reduced, but by the evening the sensations are resumed. A gout attack can last longer than a week. At the initial stages of the development of the disease, the duration of the attack is less - 2-3 days.
Features of treatment
Gout is chronic. Completely get rid of the disease is almost impossible. Attacks at the initial stage of the disease occur every 6-12 months. With each subsequent attack of gouty arthritis, the duration of the remission period is shortened.
In case of an acute attack of gout and during remission, treatment should be different. To remove or take off pains during the attack instantly it is not possible practically never. To shorten the duration of the attack, you can if you follow strict rules:
- Patient needs bed rest. It is best to place a pillow under your foot so that the affected joint is placed above the entire body.
- For severe pain, which is difficult to bear, it is possible to apply ice to the joint. Then it is recommended to use anti-inflammatory drugs of local action - dimexide or Vishnevsky ointment for compress.
- A strict diet is recommended. It is advisable to exclude any products, except liquid cereals and vegetable broths. It is necessary to drink as much liquid as possible. The best drinks are those containing alkali, - mineral water, jelly, milk, decoction from oats. The minimum daily allowance is 3 liters.
- Painkillers in an attack do not take gout, because they do not help. You can take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The patient should continue receiving the prophylactic drugs prescribed by the doctor.
Ways to prevent an attack of
To prevent exacerbation, any joint injuries should be avoided, since it is in damaged joints that uric acid is most often deposited.
The joint of the big toe is most often affected by deformation caused by wearing narrow shoes
The main preventative measure is a complete revision of your habits. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can significantly prolong remission. Excretion of uric acid and its salts is promoted by diet number 6.In this diet, products that contain urine bases are banned or severely restricted. The food should be based on such products: milk, fruits, vegetables, cereals, cheese. Limit meat, fish, chocolate, cauliflower, beans, mushrooms, smoked meat, sorrel and asparagus.
Under the ban, smoking and alcoholic beverages, as they slow the excretion of uric acid from the body. It is not desirable to drink coffee and tea. It is recommended to devote one day a week to a mono-diet, in which you can consume only one product throughout the day.
An effective medicinal product can be prescribed only by a rheumatologist. The main drugs in the period of exacerbation are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The course of their admission lasts about 1-2 weeks. To reduce the level of uric acid in the body can help drugs such as milurite, orotic acid, hepatocatalyst, etc.
These injections can be prescribed.
The main goals of drug therapy:
- relief of pain and acute inflammation;
- decrease in the content of uric acid in the blood.
Recommendations for life during remission
Patient must adhere to some rules that will help significantly ease his condition. To warn seizures will help:
- Refusal to take aspirin or its minimal use. Such drugs increase the level of uric acid.
- It is advisable not to subject the sick joint to any load. If possible, it should be recorded.
- Monitor the level of uric acid in the blood.
- Perform basic physical exercises. Simple loads - daily walks, morning exercises - are able to effectively fight the disease.
- Drink at least 2 liters of clean water a day.
- Eat enough vitamin C.
Traditional folk remedies can relieve pain and improve the general condition of the patient.
As a rule, to remove inflammation recommended baths from decoctions of medicinal herbs
The most effective recipes for folk treatment are:
- Chamomile broth .To prepare the medicine you need 50 grams of dried flowers pour 5 liters of boiling water, add 10 grams of salt. The remedy should be given a little infusion, then in the broth you need to hold your aching leg.
- Broth from fir cones .For an effective remedy, unopened cones with seeds are needed. They are poured with boiling water and left overnight. For 1 bump you need about 300 ml of water. The broth is infused overnight. The next day you need to drink 100 ml of the remedy for half an hour before meals three times a day.
- Bay Leaf .Everyone knows the spice perfectly cleans the joints.5 grams of bay leaf is boiled in 300 ml of water for 5 minutes without covering it with a lid. The ready-made broth is wrapped and left to infuse for 3 hours. The finished product is drunk little by little during the day.
- Butter .From it you can prepare an effective ointment. The oil must be homemade, unsalted. It is mixed with alcohol in equal proportions. Alcohol is introduced into the melted oil when foam begins to form on it. Next, alcohol is gently ignited so that it burns out. After that, the medicine is ready. You can store it in the refrigerator. Before rubbing it is necessary to warm it up in hands.
Gout of the legs can cause serious discomfort and cause severe pain. It is also called "the disease of kings", since an idle lifestyle, excessive consumption of fatty foods and alcohol contribute to the development of gout. To treat gout is necessary in a complex. It is recommended to abandon bad habits and start a healthy lifestyle. In the period of exacerbation, injections of NSAIDs are good.
- Main causes of development of
- Symptoms of gout
- Features of treatment
- Methods to prevent an attack
- Recommendations for life during remission
- Traditional medicine