- Spinal cord functions
- Possible causes of myelopathy
Myelopathy is a pathology of the spinal cord that significantly impairs the quality of life.
Spinal cord functions
Spinal cord is the organ of the central nervous system. He carries out both autonomous and joint activities with the brain.
Autonomous actions of the spinal cord - congenital reflexes. They are carried out without the involvement of the brain and perform a protective function. Breathing, flashing, vomiting, quickening of breathing and vasodilation in the stuffiness, sexual reactions, sucking and grasping in newborns, the work of organs - congenital reflexes that are not taught.
Concerted actions - to the work of the spinal cord joins the head. The spinal cord serves as a conductor of nerve impulses from the organ to the brain and back. This is how the acquired reflexes are formed, and the whole motor, tactile and emotional life of the person is realized. Thanks to the cooperation of the brain and spinal cord, a person walks, runs, jumps, takes, throws, chews, swallows, senses the temperature of the environment, the texture of objects, laughs, cries and much, much more. If one component disappears in this tandem, then the activity becomes impossible.
Obviously, disruptions in the activity of the spinal cord, lack of functions and reactions lead to sad consequences.
Possible causes of myelopathy
Factors leading to pathology may be different, but to some extent all of them worsen the activity of the spinal cord.
- Injury to the of the spine. The brain is protected by several membranes and bone substance of the spine. But, for example, a fracture of the transmitting fibers is possible with a fracture of the spine.
- Osteochondrosis .Reducing the intervertebral space and deformation of the vertebrae leads to the infringement of the nerves that transmit the impulse.
- Tumor .An increase in the tumor leads to compression of the nerve fibers, and the inflammatory process of germination in the tissue destroys them.
- Infection with .Infected with blood flow from other organs or with trauma / medical intervention, microorganisms cause destruction of nervous tissue
- Insufficient blood supply to ( vasoconstriction, vasoconstriction, thrombosis).
- Metabolic disorders , for example, with such a disease of the endocrine system as diabetes mellitus.
The manifestations of the disease depend not only on the cause that caused them, but also on the place of localization of the hearth of trouble
- pain from the average severity to intolerable, at the site of the lesion;
- stiffness of movements - a protective reaction to pain syndrome;
- muscle weakness below the focus of inflammation;
- decreased sensitivity below the location of the disease;
- muscle spasms, most often the legs;
- disruption of internal organs;
- fading of reflexes.
The diagnosis is made on the basis of a serious examination using modern equipment and differential tests. The place where the center of trouble is located is determined, the possible consequences are considered and the forecast is formulated. Treatment is prescribed.
In the acute stage before the beginning of treatment, pain relief is achieved. An effective way in this direction is to hold the blockade. By puncturing the analgesic substance, places around the focus of pain are interrupted by the transmission of information about inflammation to the brain. The pain disappears for a long time.
After anesthesia, they start treatment. It can be therapeutic with the use of medication, the use of physiotherapy and manual therapy, as well as surgical. As a result of these interventions, it is possible to achieve a serious improvement in well-being.
However, most often myelopathy becomes a chronic disease that needs to be maintained in a state of remission. Exacerbations are inevitable, and the time interval between them decreases with age. But with modern treatment methods, unfavorable forecasts are postponed to a later time.
This disease affects both men and women of middle and older age. Traumatic and congenital myelopathy is also possible in children.
Prevention is to prevent the causes that cause a decrease in the functions of the spinal cord.
Proper nutrition, hardening, prevention of excess weight will reduce the risk of diabetes and strengthen immunity, which will prevent many infections that can become a source of infection of the spinal cord.
Of great importance is the formation from childhood of the correct posture. The correct mode of work and rest, rational physical loads, properly distributed to all muscle groups, will form a muscular corset and help to keep the spine, and hence the spinal cord, healthy for years to come.
Materials used: VesselInfo.ru