- Features of the knee joint
- Causes of inflammation
- How is it manifested?
- How to diagnose an algorithm?
- Treatment of
In medical terminology, inflammation of the tendons is called tendonitis. Treatment and diagnosis of inflammation of the tendon of the knee joint is performed by a traumatologist-orthopedist. There are several reasons for inflammation of the tendon. The most common is microtraction. This tendonitis is called posttraumatic. This article will be devoted to him, since in the case of other causes, isolated tendonitis practically never arises. The knee is the leader in the appearance of tendinitis, this is due to its anatomical features.
Features of the knee joint
- It is the articulation of the longest levers in the body: the femoral and tibia bones.
- The main directions of movement - flexion, extension. Rotation - practically absent, withdrawal and reduction - is completely absent. Therefore, with such forced movements, microtraumas of the articular surface and ligamentous apparatus occur.
- The knee tests the maximum pressure of our weight, with obesity it is one of the first that fails.
- Intra-articular parts are inactive, the menisci are practically immovable, and the cruciate ligaments are short and slightly mobile. What also causes frequent microtraumatism.
The ligamentous apparatus of the knee joint is represented by cruciform ligaments: anterior and posterior. They are located inside and are attached next to the meniscus. Between the latter is another small ligament - a transverse ligament of the knee. A thin but wide patella of the patella passes in front. On the inside of the joint is a collateral ligament of the tibia with the outer fibular. Behind there are two small ligaments: popliteal arcuate and oblique.
Knee joint is strengthened with several ligaments
Causes of inflammation
- As one of the symptoms of autoimmune diseases. For example, this situation occurs in patients suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
- As a symptom in metabolic disorders, for example, with gout.
- In the program of degenerative-dystrophic changes of the knee joint( gonarthrosis).
So, the main reason is microtrauma. It arises from excessive physical activity or activity, as well as movements that are unable to perform at the knee joint. In this case, microfractures of fibers occur, in response to this our body emits special substances and triggers a sequential mechanism of inflammation of the tendon.
Only in this case, inflammation is called aseptic, that is, there is no bacteria, no virus, no simple microorganism. Inflammation of the tendon of the knee joint is more often a pathology of men, which is due to their features of daily activity and the nature of the work performed.
Knee Injury is the main cause of tendonitis
Consider briefly other causes of
In this case, inflammation arises from the penetrated bacteria, usually this occurs with the blood flow from the primary focus. There are categories of bacteria that like connective tissue and when they are found in the body, joint damage often occurs( gonorrhea, borreliosis, chlamydia).Inflammation of the ligamentous apparatus proceeds in the program of arthritis, that is inflammation of the entire joint.
In this group of diseases, a specific inflammation process occurs in the human body - an autoimmune process. More often with such diseases small joints are affected, but sometimes even the knee joint.
Tendonitis in the gonarthrosis program
In addition to the above, aseptic inflammation, there is an immediate dystrophy of the tendon - it thinens, loses the property of elasticity, which again contributes to microtraumatism( this condition is called tendinosis).
How does it manifest itself?
First of all, pain. The pain is localized in the knee joint area, the patient can not clearly indicate the pain: inside it, on the right or on the left? Pain occurs immediately after physical effort or trauma. Decreases, but can remain at rest. Increases when making movements in the knee. This is due to the tension of the damaged tendon. Secondary - pain syndrome limits mobility in the joint. In the event that the inflammation of the tendon sheath( tendovaginitis) has joined tendonitis, the skin over the damaged ligament may turn a little red.
Pain in the knee is the main sign of tendonitis
How to diagnose, the algorithm?
- Anamnesis. The fact of injury, reinforced or improperly performed exercise. If it is not, then it is worthwhile to suspect other causes of the disease.
- Inspection. In the case of posttraumatic inflammation of the tendons, there will be no visible changes in the knee joint. If there is swelling, redness, swelling of the joint, then it is the symptoms of another disease. Also, with tendonitis, the volume of movements will be limited.
- Palpation( palpation) - in case of damage to the collateral ligaments and patellar ligaments during their palpation, the pain syndrome will increase, you can also feel the directly damaged portion of the tendon. It will protrude above the main mass of the tendon.
- of the knee joint ultrasound allows to see changes in the tendon, as well as to evaluate other components of the joint.
- MRI is a more informative method for diagnosing knee tendonitis.
- Diagnostic arthroscopy is usually performed after performing ultrasound and MRI.A special device, an arthroscope, an orthopedic trauma specialist assesses all components of the knee joint.
- Calm and fixation - to repair a damaged tendon. This will help special orthoses( knee pads).In the case of a more active process, it may be necessary to have gypsum immobilization within a month.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. The advantage is given to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Physiotherapy procedures aimed at restoring the tendon tissue and reducing inflammation( magnetotherapy, laser therapy, etc.).
- Vitaminotherapy is a supplement to treatment to accelerate regeneration processes.
Prophylaxis is simple: it is a competent exercise. If you need to lift a load or you are going to do some sports, be sure to warm up your knees for 10 minutes before performing these actions. And also watch your body weight.