- Indications and contraindications
- General rules
- Main types of back massage
- Classic massage techniques
The therapeutic and preventive properties of back massage were discovered several thousand years ago, when massage was one of the main types of treatment for any diseases. It must be said that even today this technique of influence on the body has not lost its relevance and is used practically in all branches of medicine.
But, in order for the back massage to bring the maximum benefit and do no harm, the procedure for manipulating the body must be carried out according to certain rules. It is best if an expert with a medical education does it, but anyone can learn the technique of a simple relaxing classical massage for the back. But it is important to remember that any kind of therapeutic massage should be performed only by a specialist.
Only a graduate of
should do massage therapy. Indications and contraindications
Any person can do massage for back, with both curative and preventive purposes. Therapeutic massage is indicated in such cases:
- chronic back pain;
- degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine( osteochondrosis, spondylosis, spondylarthrosis, intervertebral hernia);
- disorders of posture and curvature of the spinal column( stoop, scoliosis, pathological lordosis or kyphosis);
- as a stage of rehabilitation after trauma to the spine;
- pathological tension of the muscles of the back;
- increased nervous excitability and emotional lability;
- chronic stress;
- chronic fatigue syndrome;
- decreased immunity;
- for rejuvenating the skin of the back;
- persistent headaches;
- vegetovascular dystonia;
- chronic diseases of internal organs;
- prevention of sports injuries;
- recovery after a stroke or heart attack;
- treatment of certain diseases of the musculoskeletal system, for example, hip dysplasia in children;
There are contraindications. It is not superfluous to remember the following of them:
- elevated body temperature;
- acute infectious disease;
- blood pathology with increased tendency to bleeding;
- pustular and other dermatological skin diseases;
- malignant tumors of any location;
- hypertensive crisis or unpredictable( crisis) course of arterial hypertension;
- angina attack;
- state of alcohol or narcotic intoxication;
- marked atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels;
- is a mental illness in a patient;
It is important to know that the above contraindications are given in a general form, in fact there are much more bans to manual manipulation on the body. Therefore, to avoid complications, before starting the procedure it is better to consult a doctor and make sure that you do not have any contraindications to back massage.
To make a good and effective massage, you must follow several rules:
- Massage the back from the waist to the shoulder girdle.
- The hands of the person who is doing the massage should be warm and clean. It is also important to maintain a relaxed state of the hands, otherwise the hands will quickly get tired.
- During the session, there should be a constant physical contact between the hands of the masseur and the patient's skin.
- All massage techniques should be performed in a certain order and smoothly change each other.
- Any properly done massage begins and ends with stroking movements, but the intensity of stroking at the end of the session is higher than at the very beginning.
- It is forbidden to work on the site of the back, which is projected directly above the vertebral column.
- Pikachivayuschie and patting movements should be performed very carefully in the area between the shoulder blades( the projection of the heart) and directly above the kidneys.
- The first session of manual intervention should not be longer than 15 minutes, otherwise the back may be hurt after the massage. The duration of further procedures depends on the diagnosis and appointment of the doctor.
- Before proceeding directly to the massage, it is necessary to find out if the patient has contraindications to it.
- Massage is recommended on a hard couch or a special massage table.
- The hands of the massage therapist can be treated with special massage creams or oils for better slip.
- All massage movements must coincide with the direction of the outflow of blood from the tissues of the back( from the center to the sides).
Before applying any massage oil, you need to make sure there is no allergy
The main types of back massage
It is very difficult to reduce all types of back massage into one classification, as there are a lot of them. But conditionally it is possible to allocate 2 groups of procedures which differ in the purpose of performance:
- Relaxing( more in detail about it it is possible to esteem here).
Relaxing massage is an effective method of preventing any diseases. It will allow to remove fatigue after a hard working day, calm down, improve mood, eliminate spasm of muscles, get rid of negative emotions and overcome stress. Not only soft massage movements, but also additional application of aromatic candles, ethereal vegetable oils, pleasant music and cozy atmosphere will help to do this. One of the varieties of this procedure can be considered a honey back massage, which, to all that said, also improves the skin condition, so it is often used for cosmetic purposes.
Honey back massage is not only an excellent procedure for relaxation, but also an effective way to improve the skin condition of
There are a lot of types of therapeutic massage. Consider the most popular:
- Classic back massage ( Swedish) is the main and most common kind of manual influence on the body. Suitable for people of any age, has a minimum of contraindications and is recommended for use with a large number of diseases.
- Back acupressure ( acupuncture) - based on the reflexogenic theory. During such a session, the masseur affects certain points on the back of the person who are responsible for the activity of an internal organ.
- Back massage ( vacuum) - performed with the help of special devices - medical cans. Vacuum, which they create, helps to increase the flow of blood to the tissues of the back and spine, which positively affects the course of the underlying ailment.
- Vibrating - can be performed by special manual techniques( vibration and effleurage) or with the help of special devices that set the vibration of the necessary frequency and intensity. Especially effective is a massage with chronic diseases of the bronchopulmonary apparatus( obstructive bronchitis, bronchial asthma, bronchiectatic disease).
- Hardware - in the case when tissues are not massaged by human hands, but by special apparatus. A great variety of this procedure is the hydro massage, for example, the shower Charcot.
- Sports - used to "warm up" the muscles before training to prevent sports injuries, and also after classes to relieve muscle and general fatigue.
- Therapeutic massage for a specific pathology of the spine ( intervertebral hernia, osteochondrosis, scoliosis, etc.).In each case, the massage may differ. Perform it should only a specialist with a medical background. Otherwise, such treatment can do much more harm than good.
Technique of vacuum massage for the back
Classical massage techniques
There are only 4 classic massages. That's why, having mastered them, you can learn how to do both relaxing and classical massage.
It is from this reception that every session of any massage begins, it must also end there. The main goal is to relax the muscles and prepare them for more intense effects. Stroking movements can be performed in 2 directions: from the waist to the neck on both sides of the spine and from the spine to the peripheral sites of the back. Stroking is performed by the entire palmar surface of the hand. Its intensity should gradually increase.
Basic techniques of classical massage: stroking, rubbing, tapping( shaking or vibration) and kneading
This technique is performed by lightly shifting the skin with the palms of the massage therapist from the spine to the periphery of the back. You can perform zigzag movements. They provide blood flow to the soft tissues, make the muscles elastic and supple.
Variation and vibration are also considered variations in this technique. The main action is reflex and local irritation, due to activation of skin, fascia and muscle receptors. Light strokes or pats are applied by the outer edge of the hands of both hands.
This technique is performed with both hands, grasping the folds of the skin between the fingers. Gradually, the hands move from the waist to the neck, treating each square centimeter of the back.
Applying various types of massage, you can purposefully and very effectively affect a particular ailment. In some diseases, massage is considered an integral part of successful treatment. But it is important not to neglect the safety measures during treatment and to do massage only with a certified specialist. Otherwise, you can only worsen your health.