Any of us, at least once faced with such a problem as constipation, it should be understood that "constipation" is not a disease, not pathology is the result of some negative process in the body.
- Constipation, its recognition
- How to treat constipation in adults?
We have to admit that "constipation" in humans occurs very often, almost every second adult is suffering from this phenomenon, arising from reasons that are sometimes little or simply not paid attention.
Constipation, its recognition and the causes of
We usually understand that if we do not go around emptying the intestines every day, we have constipation, but there is a category of people who normally defecate every other day without experiencing any discomfort.
According to the latest criteria, a stool is considered physiological norm from three times a day to three times a week, while a person should not feel uncomfortable.
Not only must defecation be free, that is, a person should not strain in the process, sit on the toilet for a long time or experience inconvenience. Otherwise, we can safely say "constipation".
As mentioned, unfortunately, the reasons leading to a malfunction in the intestine are too numerous to be fixed, but there is a division into objective ones, those that are caused by various diseases and subjective, arising from the lifestyle and habits of a particularrights.
- Alimentary - constipation due to poor intake of plant fiber along with food. It is rich in fruits and vegetables and it acts as a natural stimulant for the intestines. Also, this kind of constipation can manifest in those who drink little water, which helps to ease defecation due to softening of stool.
- Reflex - stool retention occurs due to diseases of various parts of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as damage to other organs.
- Hypokinetic - this constipation accompanies those who move little, especially lying sick people working in "sitting" positions.
- Toxic - stool retention is associated with an intoxication of the body with chemicals, for example: nitrobenzene, lead, morphine, nicotine, etc. Some medicines may also be affected, for example: anticholinergics or antispasmodics.
- Endocrine - constipation associated with problems in the thyroid, pituitary or ovaries, when their normal functionality is reduced.
- Mechanical - stool retention is associated with the presence of an obstruction in the large intestine, for example: tumors, scars, congenital pathologies, and the like.
- Psychological - that constipation, which is associated with the psychological state of a person, has become very common in recent times. All the blame for trauma, depression, stress, neurosis, as well as inflammatory and tumor phenomena in the spinal cord and brain. This constipation also refers to those that arise in travelers because of the inability to go to the toilet at the time, as well as those who are forced to suppress the urge to go to the toilet.
Symptoms do not even depend on the cause of constipation, but more on the tone of the intestines. Therefore, because of the appearance of signs, constipations are divided into:
- Spastic - when there is bloating, colicky sensation in the abdomen, defecation occurs in a fragmentary manner( in a simple way, the feces resemble goat pits, round, chalk and a lot).There is noticeable increased intestinal tone, as there is compression of stool and spasms cause colic.
- Atonic - when a person feels raspiranie, overflow and abdominal pain, the very excrement happens with pain and hard, sometimes there are blood and cracks. In this case, the peristalsis is sluggish, the tone of the intestine is significantly reduced, so the stools come out tight.
Any constipation can be accompanied by intoxication associated with the fact that toxic products from fecal matter are absorbed into the bloodstream and poisoning of the organism takes place. It is manifested by weakness, fatigue, lethargy, disturbance of emotional state and sleep.
How to treat constipation in adults?
Many, when faced with constipation, begin to take medicine, others change their diet, there comes a temporary relief and "everyone is happy."
However, if the constipation is repeated, then you should not do self-medication, it is better to visit the proctologist and identify the true cause of what is happening.
The proctologist hears complaints and conducts an examination, prescribes certain diagnostic tests, for example: feces, urine and blood tests, as mandatory and colonoscopy and irrigoscopy if necessary. If the cause is identified, then the person can be referred to other specialists, for example: to a neurologist or endocrinologist, that is, the main work in the fight against constipation is the treatment of the underlying disease, and there will also be general recommendations:
- Changing food so that people eat fruits and vegetables every day,to drink enough water.
- Doing sports, running, cycling, swimming, can save from constipation without medication.
- Taking laxatives, not regularly, so as not to spoil the work of the intestines, but as a help in the initial stage of fighting the main problem.
Tell a friend! Tell about this article to your friends in your favorite social network using social buttons. Thank you!