Almagel is an effective and safe enough drug used to treat diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Almagel is referred to the group of antacid agents: it partially neutralizes the action of hydrochloric acid and reduces the production of gastric juice, and also has anesthetic properties. Its use allows you to get rid of pain and discomfort, as well as eliminate the cause of diseases of the digestive system.
- 1 Pharmacological action and indications for use
- 2 Advantages over other
- 3 medications Side effects and contraindications
- 4 Dosage, basic rules for taking
Pharmacological action and indications for use
Almagel contains aluminum and magnesium hydroxide reactingneutralization with hydrochloric acid, its products are excreted by the kidneys. Neutralization of gastric juice with increased acidity helps to stop the destructive effect of hydrochloric acid on the gastric mucosa.
Another component is benzocaine - it's a local anesthetic, reducing pain symptoms. The composition also includes sorbitol, which improves bile secretion and promotes the normalization of digestion. Normally, taking Almagel gives an easy laxative effect, which prevents constipation.
Almagel is used for acute and chronic diseases of the digestive tract. Among them, acute gastritis, as well as exacerbation of chronic form, inflammatory processes in the small intestine and duodenum, peptic ulcer.
Almagel is also an effective remedy for digestive disorders caused by a violation of diet, long-term use of drugs or alcohol. It also helps with exacerbations of gastritis, provoked by smoking. Almagel helps to fight against food toxic infections, reflux esophagitis( inflammation of the esophagus), flatulence.
In addition, it can be used for preventive purposes: it is prescribed if the patient is prescribed to take anti-inflammatory drugs for a long time. The ability to protect the stomach helps to prevent digestive disorders, to avoid the appearance of nausea and other unpleasant symptoms.
Advantages over other
preparations Almagel has several important qualities that have made it one of the most popular drugs in the fight against inflammatory processes in the stomach and intestines:
- Does not lead to a drastic change in acidity in the stomach. The pH level remains within 4.0-3.5, which further avoids problems with digestion of food.
- The process of neutralizing hydrochloric acid does not produce carbon dioxide, so the patient will not be bothered by flatulence, besides, there will be no re-increase in acidity, as when taking soda.
- Does not give any changes in the water-electrolytic balance and does not lead to the formation of calculi in the kidneys.
- The drug is available in the form of a gel that can evenly distribute on the mucous membrane of the stomach and duodenum: this provides protection of the digestive tract and rapid action. The effect of taking the drug begins to manifest itself after 5 minutes, it will last at least 70 minutes.
Correctly calculated dosage and compliance with medical recommendations can minimize the manifestation of gastritis, peptic ulcer and various digestive disorders, Almagel has a very small list of contraindications.
Side effects and contraindications
Contraindications Almagel has, like other medicines. It can not be used in the following cases:
- Individual hypersensitivity. The components of the medicine can trigger individual allergic reactions. One of the most common allergens is fructose, which is part of the drug.
- Kidney disorders. The drug is excreted through the kidneys and creates an additional burden for them.
- Alzheimer's disease. Elderly patients are treated individually, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
- Pregnancy. Since the active substances are able to affect the fetus, during the gestation period, Almagel is not assigned. Pregnant women should strictly follow the diet and avoid overeating or drinking alcohol. In rare cases, the drug can be taken for not more than three days: the doctor can prescribe Almagel if the risk of complications of the disease exceeds the risk of adverse effects on the fetus.
- Age under 1 month. The drug is not assigned to newborns and is not recommended for breastfeeding. Breastfeeding mothers in extreme cases, it is permissible to take Almagel no more than 3 days, for this period the child needs to be transferred to artificial feeding.
- Almagel can be used with caution in patients suffering from ulcerative colitis, diarrhea, permanent constipation, pain in the stomach of an undetermined nature. In such cases, the decision on the appropriateness of treatment with this drug can only be taken by a doctor, uncontrolled use can be harmful.
- Almagel is not used together with sulfonamides, since the benzocaine included in its composition blocks the antibacterial effect. Also it is not used together with antibiotics of tetracycline group, antihistamines, iron preparations, ciprofloxacin, isoniazid and some other drugs, when interacting with which insoluble substances are formed. Receiving Almagel hampers absorption and reduces their effectiveness.
Almagel in very rare cases gives side effects. On the part of the digestive system, nausea, vomiting and constipation are possible, the drug can also cause a feeling of drowsiness. With long use in patients with metabolic disorders, there may be a softening of the bones - osteomalacia.
Because of possible side effects and a list of contraindications, it is impossible to take the drug uncontrolled and engage in self-medication. It is necessary to consult a doctor and strictly follow all recommendations.
Dosage, basic rules for taking
Almagel is available in a form that is convenient for ingestion, a relatively pleasant taste allows it to be given to even small children without difficulty. Immediately after taking the medicine, you can not drink any liquids: they can dilute the drug, reducing the concentration of active substances, so the effectiveness will be reduced.
For adults, a single dose is 1 teaspoon of gel, it is taken half an hour before meals and before going to bed. Only a day is allowed to take no more than 16 teaspoons of the drug, the course of treatment at the maximum dosage should be no more than 2 weeks.
For children aged 2 months to 10 years, no more than one-third of the adult dose is needed, and half of the adult age is older than 10 years. If the inflammatory process is accompanied by vomiting and nausea, then the course of Almagel-A will be assigned first, and when unpleasant symptoms disappear, Almagel will be appointed.
The general course of treatment should not exceed 3 weeks. If the disease is not cured and there is no relief, it is necessary to consult the attending physician and select other medications.
The reception of Almagel helps to cope with the manifestations of serious diseases of the digestive tract. With a reasonable approach and observance of medical prescriptions, he brings an improvement in well-being and helps to eliminate the cause of negative symptoms.
Advertising presentation of Almagel - in the video:
Tell a friend! Tell about this article to your friends in your favorite social network using social buttons. Thank you!