Sometimes there is a need to give a child some drug that will help remove toxins from the body. And the most accessible is activated charcoal. But for some reason some parents have doubts about whether it is possible to give charcoal to children or not?
- 1 What is activated charcoal
- 2 Activated charcoal for children
- 3 Contraindications for use
- 4 Dosage for
- 5 Activated charcoal for poisoning
- 6 Charcoal and diarrhea
- 7 Some tips for using charcoal in children
What is activated charcoal
Beforethan to proceed to whether it is possible to give activated charcoal to children or not, you need to figure out what it is. Activated charcoal is a natural substance that helps in the fight against infections and poisonings. It is a remarkable sorbent, which, thanks to its properties, absorbs toxic substances into itself, thereby ridding the body of them. The composition of the coal contains porous substances, which are obtained mainly from various materials that contain carbon. Take exactly carbon of natural origin, that is, stone or charcoal, coconut coal. Due to the fact that there is a large amount of pores in each coal, it has an excellent absorption. If we talk about the useful properties of coal, then they include:
- Detoxification of poisons, which occurs due to the porous structure of coal. This is necessary when a person ate expired foods that began to rot and deteriorate
- Disinfection of bacteria. Very often, when a bacterial disease is infected, a person is advised to drink charcoal, as it perfectly neutralizes and kills bacteria
- Removal of toxins from the body that strongly contaminate it and sometimes lead to malfunctioning of certain organs
- Discharges alcohol, which is very important,if a person drank more than allowed
- Displays poor-quality food, even if there are no signs of poisoning. You can easily understand this by belching, the smell of
Thanks to these properties, activated charcoal is prescribed to virtually everyone, including small children, as this is a natural preparation.
Activated charcoal for children
Sometimes parents have to give activated charcoal to children, as this medication is available in almost every home medicine cabinet. Some doubt whether this is advisable, and whether it is generally possible for a child to take activated charcoal. The answer about this is unambiguous. Yes, it can be given to children. The main thing is to consult the pediatrician regarding the dosage. It is generally accepted that you need to take one tablet of coal for every ten kilograms of body weight. But here the weight of the child can be and less. Activated charcoal is used in children in several beams:
- In the first three months of life, when children are tormented by colic. Coal perfectly copes with colic, because it removes harmful substances and toxins, which also provoke increased gas formation. But it should be remembered that along with toxins, it also removes useful substances from the path. Therefore, they are not interested in
- . When poisoning, as it is necessary to help the child as soon as possible. And first of all, rinse the stomach and give the coal
- With diarrhea that happens in children very often
- With renal failure
- With gastritis
- During drug poisoning
- With allergic reaction
- For problems with metabolism
Not only in the above cases it is allowed to give the drug to children. Sometimes it can be prescribed for asthma.
Contraindications to the use of
Despite the natural origin of activated charcoal and the permission of pediatricians to give it to almost all children, there are several exceptions when it is strictly forbidden to give coal. This includes:
- Gastric and intestinal ulcers
- Bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract
- Taking any other antitoxic drugs
- Individual intolerance to
If these factors were not taken into account, then the medicine can only aggravate the situation and worsen the condition.
Dosage of the preparation
As with any other drug, activated carbon has a certain dosage that depends on the age of the baby:
- If the child is less than a year, then he can give no more than one or two tablets of coal per day, and in the crushed form
- If the child is from one to three years old, then he can give from two to four tablets per day
- If the child is from three years to six, the daily dose will be from four to six tablets
- If a child is six to twelve years old, the daily dose will be from 10 to 12 tablets depending on the weight of his body.
. In any case, before you begin to treat the child with activated charcoal, you need to consult a doctor, because in some situations you can either increase, or reduce the number of tablets.
Activated charcoal for poisoning
Adults try to give children only quality and tested food, but sometimes it happens that it is impossible to save for one reason or another. And since the child is more vulnerable to everything, his body reacts sharply to the penetration of poor-quality food into it. When poisoning the child should give activated charcoal or diluted with water, or directly a pill. Depending on how old the child is. Calculate the dosage of coal in the case of poisoning as follows: 0,05 is multiplied by the weight of the child. That is, if the baby weighs 10 kilograms, then 0.05 should be multiplied by 10, and it turns out 0.5 gram. That's how much you can give the child coal.
At a time you can give no more than 0.2 grams. It is desirable to break the medicine into uniform portions, or the first time to give more than later.
If the poisoning is severe, then coal should be given for three or five days before the state improves. Sometimes, in the case of very severe poisoning, it is necessary to wash the stomach as soon as possible to the baby. To do this, take 20 or 30 grams of coal and stir it with water. Dosage is huge, but, at least, it helps to remove toxins and stop their spread throughout the body. If the pediatrician recommends one more course, then you do not need to give it up, because there will be no harm.
Coal and diarrhea
One of the common problems in children of different ages is diarrhea. The reasons for it may be:
- Licking dirty hands, especially in young children
- Intestinal infection
Of course, if an intestinal infection is suspected, it is best to call an ambulance. In other cases, coal can help and stop diarrhea. It is believed that it is able to help remove harmful substances, thereby normalizing the condition. With a strong diarrhea, you can give from one to three grams of coal, while it needs to be washed with a lot of water, since the diarrhea, combined with coal, can take more water from the body, that is, cause dehydration.
With diarrhea caused by an allergic reaction or diseases of the gastrointestinal tract( chronic), coal is unlikely to help.
Some tips for the use of charcoal in children
Activated charcoal is sold in every pharmacy, and therefore becomes one of the most affordable drugs, in action very similar to Enterosgel, Fosfalugel. But here in the price is only several times cheaper. There are some tips for parents who decided to start using charcoal instead of expensive drugs:
- Before you start giving coal, you need to consult a doctor so that it helps you to accurately calculate the dosage and say if coal will help in a particular case or not.
- You need to give the drug foran hour or two before meals or after, because coal can absorb the nutrients
- The course of treatment should not last more than three days. Only specialist
- can increase the duration of treatment. Coal is strong and stains the stool almost black. Therefore, during the reception of coal it is better to give the child more water to avoid dehydration.
Previously activated charcoal was sold only in the form of tablets. Today it can be found in the form of granules, powder and even gel. Each parent should choose the most optimal form of release, so that the child does not exactly refuse to accept it. Everyone knows that coal does not taste very good, and even it is black. Therefore, children are recommended to mix with water. It is possible to give activated charcoal to children, and sometimes even it is necessary, especially when it comes to poisoning or intoxication.
A little more information about the activated carbon in the video:
Tell your friends!