Medicinal product Levofloxacin( also known as Tavanic) is an antibacterial drug based on ofloxacin. However, its antibacterial activity is much higher( about twice) than of ofloxacin. Given that Levofloxacin instructions for use are simple enough, and there are practically no contraindications, it is one of the most widely used antimicrobial bactericidal medicines.
- 1 Levofloxacin: indications for use
- 2 Guideline for use Levofloxacin, dosage
- 3 Levofloxacin: side effects, contraindications
- 4 Levofloxacin in pregnancy and lactation
Levofloxacin: indications for use
Among all antibiotics, levofloxacin is distinguished by a very wide spectrum of action. Effective in the treatment of the list of infectious diseases of the following types:
- Respiratory tracts - bronchitis and exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, etc., including tuberculosis of some stages
- Genitourinary system
- Kidney - pyelonephritis and other nonspecific inflammatory processes
- Oral, otitis, sinusitis andect
- Derma and soft tissue - suppuration, furuncles, cyst, tumors
The drug has several release forms, each of which is optimized for the treatment of certain infectionstypes. Levofloxacin and instructions for its use regulate the admission rules for each specific case. In total, there are four forms of the drug:
- Tablets of 250 mg - two-layer, yellow, packaged in packages of 5 or 10 pieces.
- Tablets of 500 mg - externally identical to tablets of 250 mg, but more saturated with antibacterial component.
- Drops for instillation in the eye - the level of antibacterial component in them is 0.5%.
- Transparent, unpainted.
- Solution - a dosage as well as a drop, used for injection into a vein. Produced in bottles of 100 ml of solution.
As components of auxiliary useful components, tablets, eye drops and intravenous solution include a variety of substances - sodium chlorine, calcium stearate, iron oxide, deionized water, titanium dioxide, etc. In liquid form, the saturation of the antibiotic in 1 ml is 5 mg.
For the treatment of certain infections, levofloxacin is the "drug of choice", that is, it is an alternative to other antimicrobial bactericidal agents.
Instructions for use Levofloxacin, dosage
Take Levofloxacin under the supervision of a doctor, carefully following the dosage. It depends on the specific type of infectious disease that is being treated. The recommended dosage and duration of treatment for certain infections is as follows:
- Sepsis - up to 2 weeks of 1000 mg of antibiotic every day
- Sinusitis - up to 2 weeks of 500 mg of antibiotic every day
- Prostatitis - up to 4 weeks on500 mg once a day
- Pneumonia - from 1 to 2 weeks at 1000 mg every day
- Skin infectious diseases - up to 2 weeks at 500 mg twice daily
- Urinary tract infections - up to 10 days at 250 mgevery day
If necessary, a two-week course of treatment may be necessary.amenen for 5 days. In this case, the dose of the drug is increased by one and a half times( for example, 750 mg per day with a 5-day course instead of 500 mg per day with a 14-day course).Also after a 5-day course of intravenous antibiotic with the approval of a doctor, you can go to oral intake, that is, through the mouth. Dosage does not change.
Different forms of Levofloxacin have limitations for use in patients of a certain age category. Thus, drops for combating infections of the ENT organs and the skin can be used by adults and children from 1 year. But severe pulmonary infections allow the treatment of solution and pills only adult patients( from 18 years).
Thanks to the various forms of Levofloxacin, the instructions for use are simple, the drug does not dose.
Levofloxacin: side effects, contraindications
In contrast to other strong synthetic antibiotics, there are practically no contraindications to levofloxacin. The only thing to take it is not recommended for people with individual hypersensitivity to quinolone substances, epileptics. Caution in the treatment of the drug should be shown to the elderly with a deficiency of glucose in the body. For them, levofloxacin in large doses can cause renal failure.
A large number of studies have been performed to identify side effects of the antibiotic. Their results showed that the drug can negatively affect all human systems and organs. According to statistics, the frequency of side effects is quite high - up to 10 people out of 100 who used Levofloxacin, noted them at home. Side effects can occur as follows:
- Digestive system - abdominal pain, appetite reduction, vomiting, hepatitis, diarrhea
- Cardiovascular system - increased heart rate, shortness of breath, blood pressure changes
- Nervous system - feeling of depression, migraine, dizziness, general weakness,sleep problems, paresthesia
- Temporary impairment of all sensory organs
- Musculoskeletal system - tendenitis, temporary weakness, loss of muscle tonus, problems with tendons, up to their rupture
- Urinary system - renal failure, difficulty in urinating, nephritis
Also, in the presence of Levofloxacin, a variety of allergic reactions can occur to a variety of substances. Most often it is expressed in the edema of the skin, mucous, the appearance of itching, rashes. With significant side effects, the course of treatment with the drug is recommended to be temporarily suspended. Levofloxacin has a minimum of contraindications, but the side effects of the drug are very numerous.
Levofloxacin in pregnancy and lactation.
Adequate study on the risk of taking Levofloxacin during pregnancy and breastfeeding specialists were not conducted. Therefore, among the contraindications period of lactation and pregnancy does not appear. However, some data on the effect of the antibiotic on the fetus and the newborn are available.
It has been proven that levofloxacin does not directly affect the fertility of adults. Although the drug itself in laboratory studies and was not detected in breast milk, it is recommended that it be taken with caution to take it to lactating mothers. The cause of concern is ofloxacin, the basis of the antibiotic, which can be guaranteed to penetrate into the milk and create potential risks to the health of the newborn.
In case of manifestation of a baby's rejection to milk or problems with well-being, it is better to refuse breastfeeding or replace Levofloxacin with an alternative antimicrobial drug.
Effective and with a minimum of contraindications antimicrobial bactericidal drug - Levofloxacin. Instructions for use, however, should be studied in the most careful way, since the occurrence of a large number of side effects is likely.
How to restore the microflora after taking antibiotics, tell Dr. Komarovsky:
Tell a friend! Tell about this article to your friends in your favorite social network using social buttons. Thank you!