One of the most common problems associated with the intestines is diarrhea( that is, diarrhea).It can in a short time cause great damage to the body, in particular, lead to the loss of the necessary fluid. And if for adults this is not a serious problem, then for children this is very dangerous. Imodium is one of the well-known drugs that can improve a person's condition and stop an unending diarrhea.
- 1 Composition and effect of the preparation
- 2 Indications for use
- 3 Use of Imodium in acute diarrhea
- 4 Use of Imodium in chronic diarrhea
- 5 Use of Imodium in children
- 6 Use of the drug during pregnancy and lactation
- 7 Side effects of
Composition and action of the drug
Imodium is an antidiarrhoeic remedy. The main active ingredients are loperamide and simethicone, which do not change the intestinal microflora, but at the same time increase the tone of the anal sphincter. And if loperamide is absorbed into the bloodstream and then decomposed in the liver, then simethicone exerts only a local action. Simethicone relieves of flatulence, a sense of discomfort, as well as pain. The drug also affects the electrolytes. Due to this effect, dehydration is prevented.
If to speak about the time of removal of these substances from the body, then for loperamide the half-life period is approximately 9 to 14 hours. As for simethicone, it is not excreted from the gastrointestinal tract. Imodium is considered a relatively safe drug, as it is not practically absorbed into the blood. But at the same time, it should be used only according to the doctor's prescription.
Indications for use
As mentioned above, this drug is used for a stomach disorder caused by some specific factors. Usually, the drug is recommended to take if:
- The person has diarrhea, both acute and chronic. Diarrhea can be caused by various factors. So, an intestinal disorder can happen after taking a very fatty, acute or poor-quality food, during an intestinal infection( when diarrhea is one of the obvious signs), during a period of severe stress, when the body so protects and reacts to it.
- Discomfort can also occur when taking some strong medications, as well as when undergoing radiation therapy.
- To normalize the daily stool in patients with ileostomy. Ileostomy is the removal of the terminal or loop of the iliac vein, in order to form a constant fistula in a person.
- The person has frequent urge to defecate. Sometimes it may not even be with the liquid stool
Imodium has established itself as a good drug for controlling diarrhea. True, it is worth remembering that each case is individual and requires a special approach and dosages.
Imodium application in acute diarrhea
As mentioned above, the drug is taken to relieve the symptoms of diarrhea. Take the medicine should be strictly according to the instructions, since a chaotic technique can lead to the appearance of side effects, because of which you have to stop taking the drug. So, if a person has all the obvious symptoms of acute diarrhea( frequent diarrhea, a constant thirst, weakness, vomiting, lack of appetite, intoxication), it is recommended to take the initial dose of the drug, which is 2 tablets per day. In the event that the symptoms do not disappear, the doctor may prescribe additional pills.