Diseases of the osteoarticular apparatus, like most diseases of other organs and systems, tend to rejuvenate. If doctors of past generations had to meet such a pathology in young people solely for reasons of trauma, then modern specialists increasingly register cases of chronic joint damage. The only thing that remains unchanged is manifestations of joint pathology. Leading among them are conditions in which knee joints ache. The possibilities of fighting this problem in the modern stage of medicine are described in this article.
General classification of methods for treating knee joint diseases
Methods of treatment in orthopedics are almost identical in the pathology of any joints. With regard to the knee joints, a wide range of therapeutic measures can be used. Their approximate classification is given in the table.
|Group of methods of treatment||Types of medical activities|
|Therapeutic blockade of|| |
|Surgical treatment|| |
It's important to remember! The choice of pain relief methods in knee joints depends on the type of pathology that caused the onset of pain syndrome. Treatment should not only relieve the symptoms( pain), but also the maximum restoration of damaged joint structures!
Most diseases of knee joints accompanied by pain syndrome are treated in the first stage by stopping pain with the help of tablets. It can be a means containing in its composition anesthetic or anti-inflammatory drugs. To date, there are so many of them on the pharmaceutical market that it is impossible to trace the emergence of new trade names. But whatever the drug is chosen, its medicinal properties are identical to those of other representatives or analogues of this group. Only intensity, duration of analgesic or anti-inflammatory effect and cost of drugs can differ. In most cases, the more expensive the drug, the more purified and potent it is.
Regarding specific recommendations for the administration of tablets for the treatment of joint knee pain, they are:
- Preparations from the group of non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory first-generation drugs( diclofenac, indomethacin, paracetamol) have a good analgesic effect, but are not safe with regard to the potential for side effects.
- Selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs( rheumoxicam, movalis, melbec, meloxicam, celeprex) have a good analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. Their reception much less often can provoke side effects.
- Analgesics( analgin, aspirin, ketans, dexalgin, tempalgin) as one of the subspecies of NSAIDs, except for anesthesia, do not have any curative effects. Therefore, their reception is suitable only for relief of joint pain syndrome.
- Tableted glucocorticoids( prednisolone, medrol) do not have a direct analgesic effect. Pain relief during their admission occurs indirectly, by decreasing the inflammatory manifestations from the knee joint. They are prescribed mainly for autoimmune diseases, rheumatoid arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Against the background of long-term use of steroid( glucocorticoid) and non-steroidal analgesic and anti-inflammatory tablets, side effects often occur. Their main manifestation is irritation of the mucous membrane of the duodenum and stomach with the formation of ulcers on their surface.
- Chondroprotectors in the form of tablets( structum, arthron, glucosamine, mouvex, teraflex) do not have an analgesic effect. Reduction in the intensity of pain syndrome on the background of their long systematic administration is due to the improvement in the structure of the cartilaginous tissue. This is most relevant with a disease such as arthrosis of the knee joints.
It's important to remember! The analgesic and therapeutic effects of tablets in diseases of knee joints are characterized by moderate severity. The use of these dosage forms is advisable either with low-intensity pain in the knees, or in combination with injections in order to maintain a stable dose of the active substance in the blood!
Injectable dosage forms use
Therapeutic effects of preparations for injection administration in the pathology of knee joints are much better than when using tablets containing identical active ingredients. The high activity of such drugs is evaluated in the speed of appearance, duration of preservation of analgesic and treatment-and-recovery effects on the components of the knee joint. Therefore, they are prescribed for severe pain syndrome or structural rearrangements of cartilage and bone tissue. It is advisable to step-by-step therapy tactics, when in the first stage the patient is injected with a further transition to taking similar tablets.
Injectable preparations with anti-inflammatory and chondroprotective effect form the basis for the treatment of knee joint diseases
Among injection preparations administered intramuscularly or in the knee joints,
- anti-inflammatory preparations of non-steroidal nature: movalis, melbek, dicloberl, olfen;
- non-narcotic analgesics: ketorolac, ketalgin, dexalgin;
- glucocorticoid drugs: diprospan, dexamethasone, metipred, solu-cortef;
- chondroprotectors: alflutop, rumalon.
In acute and chronic diseases of knee joints accompanied by pain syndrome, along with medical treatment, physiotherapy treatment must be carried out. As a restorative, anti-inflammatory and analgesic medicinal components, they were well-proven:
- electrophoresis with novocaine, potassium iodide, hydrocortisone or calcium chloride;
- methods of shock wave therapy;
- magnetic treatment methods;
- UHF and thermal procedures( paraffin, ozocerite);
- laser therapy;
- mud treatment;
- water procedures.
The peculiarity of physiotherapeutic treatment of knee joints is that their independent application will not allow to achieve good results in relation to pain relief, especially in patients with severe forms of any joint pathology. Therefore, they are best used after reducing inflammatory manifestations in order to retain the pathological process in the remission stage.
Knee joints are one of the easiest to puncture with a conventional needle. This feature allows for extensive use of intra-articular drug administration. According to many experts, today there is no more effective conservative method for treating knee pathology. Such a judgment is quite natural from the pathogenetic point of view and is confirmed in practice by numerous observations.
For introduction into the joint cavity, the following are used:
- simple glucocorticoids: hydrocortisone( a special dosage form intended only for intraarticular administration);
- Prolonged glucocorticoids: Kenalog, diprospan;
- chondroprotectors: rumalon, alflutop;
- substitutes for intraarticular fluid: naltrex, syngial.
It's important to remember! You can inject any preparations( with the exception of intra-articular fluid substitutes) into the knee joint half-way both in undiluted form and dilute with solutions of local anesthetics( novocaine, lidocaine).With the second method of administration, the anesthetic effect is more pronounced and comes almost immediately after performing the manipulation!
Opportunities of traditional medicine
In search of an effective tool for the treatment of pain in knee joints, mankind has experienced a lot of folk remedies and methods. This is evidenced by hundreds of different recipes based on plants, beekeeping products and other natural components. In fact, such an abundance of funds indicates their poor efficiency. But, on the other hand, if the people's remedies did not bring relief, such recipes would not be passed down from generation to generation.
Physiotherapy is one of the methods of complex treatment of diseases of the knee joint and periarticular formations
. Among the main ways to help the sick knee joints, the following have proven themselves:
- Compresses made from honey and cabbage leaf. They are applied to the joints, which hurt, during sleep by lubricating the cabbage leaf with honey and applying the knee joint to the skin. Be sure to fix a bandage bandage.
- Lotion from chalk and kefir. Chalk or white clay to powder into a powdery state. Adding kefir or curdled milk to it, it is necessary to obtain a pulp-like mass. After lubrication, the knee should be wrapped.
- Coniferous trays. To make them, you will need a fir branch, which is insisted in boiling water for an hour. After filtering, the solution is ready to fill the dish, in which the bath will be held. It is desirable that the water has a body temperature( about 37 ° C).The procedure lasts 25-30 minutes.
- Ointment from a mixture of vegetable oil and propolis. Number of components per 100 gr. The oil is heated in a water bath. Propolis after preliminary grinding is added to the hot oil and stirred until a uniform ointment is obtained. After cooling, apply to the affected knee.
In what cases will the surgical treatment of
exist? There are such diseases of the knee joints, when no conservative measures can save a person from severe pain. In such cases, specialists have to treat patients surgically. To such situations it is possible to carry:
- Acute purulent arthritis. It is necessary to open the joint cavity with the evacuation of purulent contents and install drains to irrigate the purulent focus with solutions of antiseptics.
- Gonarthrosis 3-4 degrees with severe pain syndrome. Depending on age and general condition, either endoprosthetics or arthrodesis of the knee joint is indicated.
- Specific lesions of the knees for tuberculosis, syphilis and other pathologies. In some cases, it is necessary to resort to surgical intervention on the affected joint structures.
Pain in the knee joints is an ambiguous complaint of many patients. Only a differentiated approach to assessing it and finding ways to eliminate it will help not only to overcome the pain, but also to preserve the functional capabilities of the knee joints.
- General classification of the treatment methods
- Administration of tablets
- Use of injection forms
- Physiotherapeutic methods
- Intraarticular manipulations
- Opportunities of traditional medicine
- In what cases will the surgical treatment of