Mortality from cardiovascular diseases remains one of the highest in Russia: often because of ischemic disease, angina pectoris, heart attacks and other diseases, not the old people perish. Many diseases and their severe consequences can be avoided by eating useful foods containing potassium and magnesium. These microelements play a very important role in the metabolism, and above all, they are involved in the nutrition of the heart muscle.
- 1 The role of potassium and magnesium in the human body
- 2 Which products contain potassium?
- 3 Products with high magnesium content
- 4 What causes magnesium deficiency?
The role of potassium and magnesium in the human body
Potassium is an intracellular element that is part of most body fluids. It is present in the cells of the neural pathways and brain, in the kidneys, in the liver, and its most important function is participation in the regulation of cardiac contractions. The lack of potassium in the heart muscle leads to disruption of her work, which in the end can lead to a state that threatens life. The daily norm in human metabolism is 2 grams, and for athletes and those engaged in manual labor, the norm grows to 2.5 grams. The lack of potassium can be caused not only by malnutrition, several other factors lead to it:
- Removal of potassium from the body after taking hormonal, laxative, diuretic and other drugs. Especially dangerous in this respect is "tea for weight loss", which has a diuretic effect. Since they do not treat him as a medicine, eventually his uncontrolled reception can lead to disruption of the heart and serious conditions.
- Constant stress and lack of sleep, heavy physical activity amid malnutrition. All this leads to a decrease in the amount of potassium in the cells, which can later become a cause of diseases.
- Disorders of the excretory system, in particular kidney and liver disease. A metabolic disorder can lead to concomitant negative processes.
Magnesium is another extremely important trace element that performs several functions at once. First of all, it plays an important role in the formation of bone tissue and the work of the musculoskeletal system. It also affects the work of the nervous system: a lack of magnesium leads to a constant feeling of fatigue, burns, loss of appetite and heart rhythm disturbances.
Which products contain potassium?
It is possible to eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of a lack of trace elements by diversifying the menu with products with an increased content of potassium. The list is large enough, so it will be easy to choose something that will match individual taste preferences. KV the number of products rich in potassium, includes the following names:
- Dried fruits: figs, dates, prunes, dried apricots and much more. They can be called real "natural tablets", so rich in their content of trace elements. In this case, most dried fruits contain a large amount of sugar, so they can not be eaten excessively by diabetics and people prone to obesity. Their use is better discussed with a nutritionist: in small quantities, they not only will not cause harm, but will also prove very useful and tasty.
- Green vegetables: spinach, parsley, cabbage, sweet pepper, cucumbers and much more. Also in this group can be attributed the most common root crops: carrots, radishes, beets, etc.
- Cereals of almost all varieties, bread with bran, germinated wheat germ. Cereals are useful especially, they prolong youth and strengthen immunity. The use of various cereals not only stimulates metabolism due to microelements, but also has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the intestine.
- Nuts. Particularly rich in microelements are hazelnuts and walnuts, o potassium is contained in other varieties.
Also potassium is a part of various meat products and by-products, in addition, it is rich in fresh champignons and some other kinds of mushrooms.
A variety of high-grade food, including various natural products, can fully compensate for the lack of potassium, for this you will not need to take additional medications. It is very important not to allow lack of potassium in the body: if the doctor prescribes diuretics, or reinforced athletic trainings are coming, you should immediately replenish the diet with products containing a high content of this microelement.
Products with a high content of magnesium
Studies that have confirmed the important role of magnesium in metabolism have been conducted for a long time. It is proved that it affects the work of the heart, the level of cholesterol in the blood, it also affects the work of the nervous system. In many areas, the main source of magnesium salts is hard water: although it is not very useful for metabolism, it becomes an important means of preventing cardiovascular diseases.
If a person drinks only soft water, cleared of salts, he needs a mandatory additional intake of trace elements. The list of products containing magnesium is quite wide: since it is a common element, it is not difficult to include food in the menu that will allow you to get the required dose. What should you eat to make up for the lack of magnesium?
- Various fruits: bananas, apricots, peaches, etc. A lot of magnesium is found in raspberries, strawberries and blackberries. This delicious and very useful addition to the diet, the use of fruit not only supplies the body with vitamins and trace elements, but also raises the mood.
- Bean cultures. Among them, white beans and soybeans occupy an important place: dishes from them occupy an important place in many cuisines of the peoples of the world; do not neglect the regular use of these useful and nutritious crops.
- Cereals, especially millet, as well as bread with bran. Bread from wholemeal flour is doubly useful: it activates the work of the intestines, and also supplies the body with useful substances.
- Low-fat dairy products. It is a source not only of magnesium, but also of calcium: cottage cheese, sour cream and other products contribute to strengthening the musculoskeletal system.
The use of strong tea and coffee, alcoholic beverages, sweets, fatty foods slows down the absorption of magnesium and worsens metabolism. Especially seriously to monitor the diet is diabetics, since magnesium plays an important role in insulin metabolism.
What causes magnesium deficiency?
The intake of hormonal and diuretics leads to a deficiency of magnesium in the body, especially for contraceptives. In addition, the amount of trace element in the body affects the level of stress. With constant nervous tension adrenaline is released, which accelerates the process of excretion of magnesium in the urine. At serious loads, useful trace elements leave the body with sweat.
Additional risk factors are toxemia in pregnancy, fasting or very strict diets, in addition, at risk are constantly diabetics. Irritability, a constant feeling of fatigue, the hair becomes brittle and dull become the first symptoms indicating a lack of a trace element. It is necessary to immediately make adjustments to the diet, it is also possible, according to the doctor's prescription, to take special complexes, including various microelements.
Caring for the right balanced diet will allow you to stay healthy for a long time, maintaining the optimal amount of trace elements in the body reduces the risk of serious diseases. Potassium and magnesium play a crucial role in metabolic processes, so you need to take care of their sufficient content in food.
Video material will tell you what is so dangerous for potassium deficiency:
Tell a friend!