Varicose veins: symptoms and treatment
Varicose veins are one of the most common diseases among the female half of the population. It is characterized by a swelling of the peripheral veins under the skin. Most often this phenomenon is observed on the lower limbs.
A little about the disease itself
With varicose veins, the valvular apparatus is destroyed, as a result of which there is a violation of the outflow of blood.
The blood in the human body circulates from the bottom up. Contribute to this valve. When they close, there is a push of blood, because of which it rises up to another valve. Disclosure and opening of such valves occurs in a sequential order, which allows blood to move continuously along blood vessels.
In varicose veins, this process is disrupted. In the veins, nodules are formed, which prevent the blood from moving upward. As a result, it stagnates and high blood pressure is produced.
Such disorders lead to the widening of the veins. Their edges are pressed against the skin, which makes them visible to the naked eye. And the more the vein is stretched, the stronger it is manifested through the skin.
This disease is very common. It is diagnosed in every 4 patients. The main factor that provokes varicose veins is the inadequate development of connective tissue. The aggravation of the situation occurs with the impact of other negative factors. This explains why so many women are among the patients with this disease, because hormones often occur in their bodies.
Extended veins on the legs symptoms are pronounced. It is simply impossible not to notice them. And if you do not contact a doctor in a timely manner and do not start treatment, there is a high probability of complications. Nevertheless, if a person has turned in time for help to a doctor, he has all the chances for a full recovery, even without resorting to surgical intervention.
Causes of development of varicose veins
The main cause of development of varicose veins is an excessive load on the legs, which occurs against a background of prolonged standing( especially this disease is observed in doctors and sellers), as well as the appearance of excess weight, including during pregnancy. Varicose veins often occur because of wearing tight stockings and sock, and as a result of congenital weakness of connective tissue.
But in addition to these reasons, there are others. This disease is known since ancient times, and therefore scientists began his research many decades ago. It showed the following:
- The development of varicose veins is affected by the endocrine and hormonal system. When they are disturbed, stagnation occurs in the blood vessels, which lead to an expansion of the veins. Especially dangerous periods for a woman are puberty, pregnancy and menopause.
- The presence of blood clots and tumors in the veins also leads to the development of varicose veins, as they contribute to the violation of outflow of blood through the blood vessels.
- Frequent stress and nervous disorders have a negative effect on the condition of the vessels. The thing is that there are nerve endings in the walls of the veins. And when a person experiences psychological stress, pressure builds up in them, which leads to loss of tone and development of the disease.
- Drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco can also cause varicose veins. They contain toxic substances that help increase pressure in the walls of the vessels and weaken their tone, which is the cause of the appearance of varicose veins.
This is not the entire list of reasons why varicose veins may occur. In most cases, people themselves are to blame for the appearance of this disease, eating "bad" food, not engaged in a dispute and having excess weight. Very rarely, this condition occurs as a result of the negative impact on the veins of internal factors, that is, other diseases. And to clarify the exact cause of the disease, you should undergo a comprehensive examination in the medical center.
Clinical manifestations of
The expansion of veins on the legs of the symptoms has the following:
- aching pain in the legs;
- burning sensation in the veins;
- appearance of blue "stars" on the legs;
- skin becomes darker;
- may cause seals and trophic ulcers.
The most important symptom of varicose veins is the appearance of blue bands( veins) on the skin. They can occur not only popliteal region or on the back surface of the legs. If the person is full or has excessive vegetation on the legs, the blue bands may be less pronounced.
Affected veins are easily palpable. If you touch them with your fingers, you can note their density and tortuosity. In this case, if you lay the patient on the bed and lift his legs, the manifestations of varicose disappear. But if he takes a vertical position, the venous reticulum arises again.
Patients with varicose veins show a heaviness in the legs, which is accompanied by blunt and aching pain, as well as nocturnal cramps. Burning in the veins mostly appears after a prolonged physical exertion.
All these symptoms make a person's life very uncomfortable. At the same time, if you do not treat this disease, all its manifestations only increase. After a certain time, the skin becomes dry, acquires a cyanotic shade, and swelling occurs more and more often.
Varicose veins are very dangerous. Its progression can lead to:
- disruption of epidermal nutrition( skin will peel, crack, etc.);
- appearance of trophic ulcers;
- appearance of increased skin pigmentation;
- to induration, i.e., densification of the skin.
If the patient has elevated body temperature and decreased efficiency, this may indicate the development of complications. Nodules that form in the blood vessels can occasionally burst, causing bleeding. But such phenomena often occur at night, when a person is in a state of complete rest. Such bleeding causes bruising on the legs.
Possible complications of
As you have already understood, varicose veins are a serious disease that can not be ignored. If it refers to it negligently, then there is a high risk of complications:
- internal bleeding;
- trophic ulcers.
The most dangerous disease in this list is thrombophlebitis. It is characterized by painful sensations in the legs, reddening of the skin and thickening of the skin. Progression of this disease leads to the development of varicothrombophlebitis, and then its transformation into lebotrombosis.
The latter covers the entire deep vein system and leads to the development of thrombolabia of the pulmonary arteries. All this can cause gangrene and the need for amputation of the lower extremities. Therefore, when the first symptoms of varicose veins occur, do not delay the visit to the doctor.
It is always much easier to prevent a disease than to treat it. The same applies to varicose veins. The main thing that you should remember is:
- you need rest, especially if you have a predisposition to the disease;
- refusal to posture "foot on foot";
- is not worth wearing crushing clothing;
- wear only comfortable shoes without a heel and perfectly fit in size;
- follow your diet, it should be vitaminized.
Do not forget about sport. It helps to strengthen the walls of blood vessels and prevents the development of varicose veins. Ideal for walking, cycling, swimming, running, etc.
The contrast shower is the ideal preventative against this ailment. The same goes for massage. If you due to your professional activities have a long time on your feet, then massage the calves and calves you just need. It helps improve blood circulation, eliminate stagnant phenomena, and also strengthen the walls of the vessels themselves.
Treatment of varicose veins
Treatment of varicose veins is a complex and lengthy process. If the patient turned in time to the doctor, then he has every chance to get rid of this ailment for a short time. But if the disease is greatly progressing and there are already various complications on its background, the patient will have to gain a lot of patience and strength. He has to work hard.
Modern medicine offers several methods of treating varicose veins:
- Applying local ointments and gels. They perfectly remove the main symptoms of the disease - eliminate swelling, remove fatigue and a feeling of heaviness in the legs. With their systematic application, the skin conditions improve. However, they are not able to completely eliminate varicose veins and are suitable only for treating the disease at the initial stages of development.
- Application of venotonic. These are drugs that are prescribed for venous insufficiency. They relieve puffiness and pain syndrome, and also contribute to the strengthening of the walls of blood vessels and improve blood circulation. Most often they are prescribed in combination with ointments and gels of topical application.
- EVLK( endovasal laser coagulation).This is the newest method of treating venous reticulums on the legs. This procedure is highly effective, but only in terms of external manifestations of the disease. Again, to eliminate the disease itself, this procedure is not capable and it is suitable only at the first stages of its development.
- Sclerotherapy. Another procedure that helps restore beauty and health to the feet. During it there is a gluing of the affected veins from the inside and they just stop working. But this procedure has a number of contraindications, therefore it is prescribed only by a doctor.
The most effective method of treating varicose veins is surgery. During it, removal of stagnant phenomena and removal of blood outflow through healthy veins occurs. However, its application is also not always possible. If there are any complications, surgical intervention can greatly harm the patient.
Therefore, to say exactly how to get rid of varicose veins, you will not be able to anybody, except your attending physician, after a thorough examination. And folk methods of treating this disease are also ineffective. It requires an effect on the blood vessels both from the inside and outside.