Many people who are watching their health try to lose weight. Help in this they can the right way of life, which is directly related to health. It's not a secret to anyone that in order to eat less it is necessary to try to normalize the size of your stomach: the volume, condition and form of the stomach depends on the appetite of a person, and the amount of food he needs.
To reduce the size of the stomach, obese people even undergo surgery. The size of the stomach in each person is different and constantly changing. The form of this organ is also constantly being changed. Why is this happening? It depends on a variety of factors: the amount of daily food consumed, the physiological characteristics, the history of stomach diseases, and even the physique of a person.
- 1 How the stomach is made
- 2 A lot of food is a big belly!
- 2.1 The size of a healthy stomach
- 2.2 Which leads to an increase in the size of the stomach
- 3 The symptom of which diseases is the increased size of the stomach
- 4 How the stomach size is determined
- 5 Advice on nutrition
- 6 Beware of fatty foods.
How the stomach is made
The stomach is part of the digestive tract and is an organ consisting of muscles. It is located in the upper third of the abdominal cavity and connects between the esophagus and duodenum. An interesting fact is that the stomach can move when breathing. Its location directly depends on the fullness of neighboring organs. A person who at one time consumes a small amount of food, the stomach is located under the ribs. The main functions of the stomach:
- Chemical processing of food, the reagent of which is gastric juice. The gastric juice contains hydrochloric acid, chymosin, lipase and pepsin, which are digestive enzymes.
- Absorption of some substances: water, sugar, salt.
- Synthesis of vitamin B12 for assimilation of iron.
- Protection of the body against bacteria and microorganisms with the help of hydrochloric acid contained in the gastric juice.
- Development of some hormones and biologically active substances, including serotonin and histamine.
The main function of the stomach is mixing food with gastric juice, splitting the protein. All this is the beginning of a chain of a long process - digestion. In crushed and processed form, food is sent from the stomach to the duodenum. Gastric juice is a kind of food reagent. It has no color or smell, a day it is produced up to two liters. The amount of hormones produced by the stomach directly depends on the state of the crushed food. For example, more liquid food, bypassing the treatment, is immediately sent to the intestine, and the coarse and firm is located inside the stomach until it is completely processed.
The stomach has three parts: the body, the bottom and the mucous membrane. The mucous membrane is a tissue consisting of three layers: own, epic and muscular. The shell has folds, dimples and fields.
The gastric shell is completely renewed every three days. This happens so that hydrochloric acid does not damage it. Its walls are protected by constantly produced mucus.
A lot of food - a big belly!
When food gets into the stomach, its dimensions increase, the walls are stretched. After the stomach has coped with its function - processed food, it returns to its form. An empty stomach constantly moves, but a person at this time is feeling hungry. The form of the stomach depends on the height and size of the person.
For example, in low and fat people the shape of the stomach resembles a horn. In tall and slender people, a stomach in shape can be compared to a stocking. In people of standard build, the stomach resembles a hook in its shape. The size of the stomach can be easily adjusted. It depends on the amount of food that a person uses at one time. The walls of the stomach stretch and to satiate( feelings of a full stomach) will require more and more food each time. It can lead to the fact that the size of the stomach will increase.
The size of a healthy stomach
The size of an adult's stomach in an empty state is not more than 500 ml, in a filled one it can reach four liters. The average length of a healthy stomach is 25 cm, the height is about 13 cm. The distance between the surfaces of the stomach( anterior and posterior) is about 8.5 cm. The distance between the small and large curvature is 11 cm, the empty stomach is 7.5 cm.length of the stomach is 19 cm, while its walls touch each other.
What causes an increase in the size of the stomach
In addition to the amount of food consumed on the size of the stomach, the following factors can affect:
- Chronic fatigue
- Regularity of nutrition
- Inflammatory diseases
In a person who has undergone stress, certain receptors are triggered, due to which he can not feel saturation. In a sick person, inflammatory processes occur in the body, during which food in the stomach is delayed and does not enter the intestine. With irregular meals, stomach size can increase. If a person, instead of the five prescribed meals, eats up a large amount of food for one or two times, the walls of the stomach are stretched. In order to protect your stomach from disease, you need to help:
- Try to eat easily digestible food whenever possible: heavy food for digestion is delayed in the stomach for a long time and also leads to its increase.
- Many nutritionists recommend thoroughly chewing food and do not mix it with drinking.
- To increase the size of the stomach can also affect the intake of food in front of the TV.While watching an exciting transfer a person will not notice that he has already been fed for a long time, and will continue to eat.
- Foods that contain large amounts of fat inhibit the secretion of secretion, resulting in food being delayed in the stomach for more than three hours.
For a more accelerated digestion process, carbohydrates and proteins are suitable. When mixing fat with carbohydrates, you may get a feeling of discomfort in the stomach.
The symptom of which diseases is the increased size of the stomach
The enlarged stomach is not only a harbinger of obesity, this indicator can be a symptom of other diseases. These diseases include:
- Stenosis of the pylorus of the stomach. At which the size of the stomach increases, the mouth feels an acid taste, there is a constant sensation of a full stomach, frequent vomiting.
- Malignant neoplasm in the stomach( cancer).Increased stomach volume, heaviness, blood in the stool, weakness, decreased appetite.
- Herniation in the region of the stomach and esophagus. Pain during meals and while driving.
- Gastric obstruction. Obstruction of food, its retention in the stomach, the formation of polyps or tumors.
- Hyperplastic gastropathy. During the disease, there is an increase in the folds of the gastric mucosa in size, thereby increasing the stomach. In patients, there is a delay in digestion, a feeling of swelling, pain and heaviness.
- Disease Menetries. Multiple polyps in the stomach. The stomach is enlarged in size, frequent pain, weight loss, nausea, diarrhea, bleeding.
If you have any of these symptoms you need to undergo a complete examination.
How is the stomach size determined?
To diagnose an enlarged stomach in modern medicine, the following diagnostic methods are used:
- X-ray examination
- Computer diagnostics
To determine the size of the stomach with fluoroscopy, the patient is given a special liquid. Then the specialist with the help of X-rays receives an image of the organ on a floroscent screen. To date, X-ray television is used, during which it is possible to further process the resulting image in order to better diagnose the disease. The image remains in the device memory and on the film.
Gastroscopy is performed to examine the inner surface of the stomach and its mucosa. Through the throat and esophagus, a tube with a camera is inserted into the patient's stomach. The image from the camera hits the monitor. If necessary, the image is recorded. During the procedure, additional diagnostics are possible: taking tissue on a biopsy. Computed tomography of the stomach has several advantages over other diagnostic methods:
- A special liquid is not used in the study.
- Gives a more complete image in several projections, in comparison with radiography.
- Does not cause pain during the procedure, in comparison with gastroscopy.
Advice on nutrition
To ensure that a healthy stomach does not increase in size, one should heed the recommendations:
- Do not drink food with drinks.
- Do not overeat: eat small portions( 300 g) more often( 5-6 times a day).
- It is not recommended to eat too hot dishes.
Beware of fatty foods.
You should not give up eating at all: starvation is not an option; on the contrary, it can seriously damage your health. Avoid overeating will help the use of tea or coffee before eating. If unpleasant symptoms occur, take a test to exclude stomach diseases.
More information about the stomach can be seen from the video:
Tell your friends! Tell about this article to your friends in your favorite social network using social buttons. Thank you!