Intervertebral hernia( prolapse) occurs when there is a violation of the functionality of the fibrous ring, after which the core of the disc is displaced. As a result of this action, the nerve roots are compressed, which leads to the spread of the inflammatory focus in the adjacent tissues.
Causes of intervertebral hernia of the lumbosacral spine
- 1 Causes of intervertebral hernia of the lumbosacral spine
- 2 Symptoms of intervertebral hernia of the lumbosacral spine
- 3 Treatment of intervertebral hernia of the lumbosacral spine
- 4 Types of operations for the treatment of intervertebral hernia
- 5 Preventive measures
Most often, such a disease occurs with intense and prolonged effects on the vertebral region. Concomitant causes and factors of the development of the disease are:
- physical activity without pre-training the body;
- curvature of the spine;
- weak immune system and abnormal metabolism;
- various injuries;
- uncontrolled weight gain;
- is a "sedentary" way of life.
The intervertebral hernia is also caused by a specific location. It is located at the very bottom of the column, which entails a load with dynamic movements. And the anatomical features make it more prone to protrusion and the formation of a hernia. It is also necessary to check the presence of intervertebral disc protrusion.
It should also take into account the functionality of the organ, the large size of the intervertebral discs complicates the blood supply, which directly entails the onset of the disease.
The absence of regular physical activity plays an important role in the progression of the disease, adynamia accelerates the development of osteochondrosis and intervertebral hernia.
Symptoms of the intervertebral hernia of the lumbosacral spine
To the main signs of the onset of the illness include aching pain that increases with a sharp movement, coughing, sneezing, during a long stay in one pose. And also:
- lumbago in the leg, which is given to the spine;
- decreased back mobility;
- redness of the damaged part of the body;
- weakness of the back muscles;
- slowing reflexes;
- back pain.
If a hernia is detected too late, there may be a violation of the sensitivity of both legs, sudden pressure spikes, migraine, speech problems, lack of coordination during movement.
Treatment of intervertebral hernia of the lumbosacral spine
Diagnosis of the disease with the help of an X-ray, and MRI provides more detailed information about the development of the disease. There are several stages of recovery of the patient:
The first type involves the use of therapeutic methods, prescribed drugs to eliminate the inflammatory process, local injections, electric shock, heating.
In a painful stage of the disease, patients are advised not to get out of bed, and on the bed you need to put a solid board, so that the vertebrae do not mix with each other.
In case of an exacerbation of the disease it is necessary to make ice lotions, after they need to be replaced by warming up procedures. To eliminate severe pain, the patient is given an anesthetic. From medicamentous treatment appoint:
- chondroprotectors, preparations for improvement of a condition of disks;
- medications to improve blood circulation, actovegin, trental;
- vitamins "B" in the form of injections;
- compresses with dimexid.
Types of operations for the treatment of intervertebral hernias
The traditional method is open discectomy, a damaged disk is removed on the back, and a special construction is installed between adjacent discs. Among the following methods of microsurgery are used:
- laser reconstruction under local anesthesia, used in the case of protrusions;
- nucleoplasty is performed by radiochasten denervation, eliminates pain syndrome;
- microdiscectomy - reconstruction of the disc or its complete removal.
To relieve pain and eliminate the main symptoms of the disease, you must adhere to an active lifestyle, perform gymnastics every morning, while working in the office, find time for sports. Do not overload yourself physically, even if the work assumes this.
It is important to control your weight, not to overeat, to follow calories, to eat properly and balanced, reducing the intake of empty carbohydrates and fats. More eat fresh fruits and vegetables, drink at least 2 liters of liquid a day, discard excessive baking, confectionery, salty, sharp, canned foods. To control the intestinal microflora.
Take vitaminized medications to strengthen the immune system and normalize metabolism.
Sleep on a moderately hard bed so that the spine can relax. If you have any signs of anxiety, it is important to contact a specialist in order to solve the existing problem in time.