- standards Reasons for increasing ESR
- How to reduce
ESR shows the rate at which red cells descend to the bottom under gravity during the uptake of blood. This process proceeds the faster, the larger and heavier the particles formed when the erythrocytes stick together. Gluing of red bodies is due to the fact that the electrochemical composition of the blood changes.
This is due to the attachment to the surface of red blood cells of antibodies( immunoglobulins) and acute phase protein, which are released into the blood during inflammation and infection with viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms. Because the electrochemical composition can change for other reasons, with an increased ESR value, it is also necessary to perform a biochemical blood test to determine exactly whether there is an inflammatory process.
Determination of sedimentation rate of red bodies allows:
- to conclude that an inflammatory process occurs in the body;
- is faster to diagnose;
- determine how the patient's body reacts to ongoing treatment.
Thus, an increase in this indicator indicates, most likely, the presence of an inflammatory process. To lower the ESR, you need to find out the diagnosis and causes of the disease, and then choose the tactics of treatment.
The erythrocyte sedimentation rate is measured in millimeters per hour. The rate of ESR depends on sex, age and some other factors and is:
- for women - from 2 to 15 mm per hour;
- for men - from 1 to 10 mm per hour;
- for newborns - does not exceed 2 mm per hour;
- for children up to six months - from 12 to 17 mm per hour;
- for the elderly( from 60 years of both sexes) - from 15 to 20 mm per hour;
- for pregnant women - up to 25 mm per hour;
- for women during menstruation - up to 40 mm per hour.
Causes of increased ESR
High values of this indicator are associated with the release of fibrinogen into the bloodstream, and this occurs in inflammatory processes and necrosis. Therefore, the reasons for increasing ESR can be as follows:
- Inflammation. The stronger it is, the higher the value.
- Infection. Penetration into the body of viruses, bacteria, fungi and other harmful agents.
- Rheumatological diseases. Most of the pathologies of this medical industry are of an autoimmune nature, that is, caused by increased activity of the immune system and the appearance of immune complexes in the blood.
- Purulent processes.
- Diseases of the kidneys.
- Malignant tumors. With an increased value of ESR and the absence of any pathological processes, it is necessary to be examined for oncological diseases.
- Myocardial infarction.
- Thyrotoxicosis and diabetes mellitus in severe form.
- Liver diseases accompanied by tissue necrosis.
- Severe injuries with broken bones, extensive tissue damage.
ESR increases with acute infectious and inflammatory diseases
It should be remembered that depending on the disease, the growth of ESR can be both acute and delayed. So, for example, with lymphosarcoma, myeloma, lupus erythematosus, this indicator quickly rises to 80 mm / h. With most acute infections, ESR begins to increase only on the third day after infection, and reaches its maximum values already during the period of improvement. The rate of erythrocyte sedimentation is within the norm at the initial stage of viral lesions, in the early days of acute appendicitis. Growth begins later, with the progression of the disease. If ESR is increased for a long time, it can speak of a complication.
How to reduce
If the cause of growth is an infectious or inflammatory disease, reduce the ESR will help antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.
When pregnancy ESR is not necessary to reduce, after the birth of the child, the indicator itself will return to normal.
In order to reduce ESR in some acute infectious diseases, folk remedies
are used. In some cases, folk remedies are used to relieve inflammation. Especially popular with acute infectious diseases are drugs prepared on the basis of medicinal herbs, garlic, onions, lemon, beets, honey( other bee products).From herbs are prepared decoctions, infusions, teas. The most effective are mother-and-stepmother, chamomile, lime flower, raspberry.
Since long ago, beet-based products have been used to treat acute infections. To prepare a healing broth it should be cooked for three hours, then cool, strain and drink on an empty stomach of 50 ml. You can squeeze fresh beet juice and take 50 grams per night for 10 days. Another option is to replace the juice with raw beets, grated.
All citrus fruits are suitable for treatment: oranges, grapefruits, lemons. Very useful tea with raspberries and lime decoction.
ESR is one of the most important indicators of blood, which is determined during clinical analysis with almost any reference to a doctor. This is a signal for the doctor about the presence of an inflammatory process in the body. If the value of ESR exceeds the norm, further examination is required until the reasons are clarified.