What is intercostal neuralgia? This term is used to refer to pain along the intercostal nerves. Localized such pain in the chest, it can be confused with an attack of angina and even with myocardial infarction. The nature of pain with intercostal neuralgia can be very different: the pain can be acute, dull, aching. It can torment a person constantly, but can occur paroxysmally. We will not consider in detail the causes and symptoms of pathology, but we will talk about how to treat intercostal neuralgia
To which doctor should I go?
First and foremost, to the therapist. Since the symptoms of pain in the chest are characterized by many diseases, it is necessary to differentiate the diagnosis from other pathologies. The doctor will conduct the examination and, according to his results, prescribe the treatment of intercostal neuralgia.
When prescribing medicines, the therapist will aspire to:
- Effectively relieve the pain in order to make the patient's condition as easy as possible. For this, analgesics and preparations of the NSAID group( non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are used. Good pain relieves ketorol and baralgin, anti-inflammatory effect has indomethacin, nimesulide, L-lysinic acid.
- Relax the spasms of the muscles. For this use meloksikam, midokalm, sirdalud.
- Normalize disturbed tissue metabolism. Here trental, actovegin, pentoxifylline will help.
- Eliminate the cause of intercostal neuralgia. The drug will be selected individually in each case.
- A good effect with intercostal neuralgia is given by warming and irritating ointments - capsicum, viprosal, diclofenac - gel.
- In especially severe cases, the doctor can offer the patient a paravertebral blockade - the introduction of the drug into the nerve root region. For blockades use anesthetics - lidocaine, trimecaine. Sometimes it is necessary to resort to the help of steroid hormones - kenalog, diprospan.
Physiotherapy and massage
These events should be discussed separately. In the acute period of intercostal neuralgia, they are contraindicated categorically. But very good in the rehabilitation period( with no pain at all), and to prevent the recurrence of neuralgia.
Among the alternative medicine methods for the treatment of intercostal neuralgia are used:
- Manual therapy;
- Structural osteopathy.
All these methods give a good effect, provided that the procedure is performed by a specialist with a medical background. Using the popularity of the method, they are willingly used by charlatans from medicine, whose education ended after two months of massage courses. Be very cautious in choosing such a specialist, it is better if he is advised by your doctor. Do not trust the recommendations of friends and colleagues. Errors of manuals can have very serious consequences.
If neuralgia is found in the country house
Symptoms of lumbar sciatica
The summer season is the most favorite time of intercostal neuralgia. Escaping from the city, you work hard in the air, digging, planting, watering. And now, after a busy day, you feel a sharp pain in your chest. What if there is no polyclinic nearby and an ambulance will not reach you?
Use folk remedies. Fortunately, there are many recipes for the treatment of neuralgia.
Here are some of them that you can easily apply at home. And the medicine is at hand!
Tear off fresh horseradish leaves, wash them and dry. Attach a horseradish sheet to the sore spot and fix it well. Remove the bandage when the pain subsides. But be careful - if your skin is too sensitive, an allergic reaction may occur.
Juice one large black radish mixed with a tablespoon of honey. Use to rub the sore spot. Rub the compound gently, smoothly. Dress warmly.
Prepare a "lilac" ointment. Take the unsalted pork fat and add crushed leaves or lilac flowers to it. The ratio of fat and leaves is 3: 1.Use the ointment for rubbing.
Well, if absolutely nothing is at all, put a yellow card on the sick area. Or make a compression of alcoholic tincture of valerian. Simple, affordable. Effectively.
In order not to interfere with intercostal neuralgia in the future, dose the load, do not overcool. Do not delay the treatment of osteochondrosis and other diseases of the spine. Lead a healthy lifestyle, and let the doctor you will only have friends!