Many people face the problem of bad memory. It is known that a person is born into the world already capable of remembering certain events. Researches of experts say that during the first 25 years of life the memory of a person continues to improve, in these years his brain is able to get and easily memorize a large amount of information. After 25 years of human memory in the event that it is healthy and does not have some diseases affecting its quality, remains unchanged. The memory impairment that occurs due to the natural aging of the organism and the decrease in brain activity activity occurs not earlier than 50-55 years.
However, modern residents of big cities start complaining about memory problems, usually much earlier than their 55-year-old age. Particularly worried professionals often noted memory impairment in children, adolescents and young people. For example, a student with a bad memory is much harder than his peers, to master the training program, in addition, he has to spend more time memorizing the material.
Causes of memory impairment
The most common causes of dramatic deterioration in memory among the working-age population are as follows:
- stay in a state of protracted depression;
- frequent stress;
- chronic fatigue, the presence of insomnia;
- management of unhealthy lifestyles, in particular alcohol consumption, smoking;
- reception of various medicines, including painkillers, antidepressants. Memory impairment is one of the side effects of treatment with many drugs;
- vitamin deficiency, lack of vitamins A, B, some amino acids in the body;
- receiving craniocerebral trauma;
- internal diseases( hepatic, renal failure, pulmonary tuberculosis, cirrhosis of the liver in some cases are accompanied by a violation of brain activity and as a consequence of memory impairment);
- pathology of the brain( malignant tumors, pituitary adenoma, etc.).
The exact cause of the memory deterioration is established by the specialist. This symptom, depending on the presence or absence of diseases can be accompanied by: depression, lack of appetite, irritability, insomnia, headaches, subferinal body temperature, etc. Such signs usually indicate a possible overfatigue of the body or the inflammatory process present in it.
A sharp memory impairment may occur as a result of information overload of the brain. For example, all students are familiar with the state of the body before an important exam: it seems that absolutely nothing you learned is memorized. In this case, the worsening of the memory function is very undemanding and does not require any specific treatment. In such a situation it is enough to pull yourself together, stop worrying and try to calm down, all the brain functions will be restored immediately, which will allow reproducing everything learned the day before.
To pathologies, one of the main symptoms of which is deterioration of memory, are:
- Alzheimer's disease is a CNS disease, accompanied by a gradual decrease in mental abilities. The risk group for this pathology includes persons who have reached the age of 65 years. The exact cause of the development of Alzheimer's disease is unknown today, among predisposing factors: the development of craniocerebral trauma, the presence of brain tumors, hypothyroidism. In addition to slowly progressing memory impairment, this disease is accompanied by apathy, spatial disorientation, depression, hallucinations, frequent seizures;
- Multiple sclerosis - a disease of the central nervous system, during which there is destruction of the constituent structures of the brain and spinal cord. The exact cause of multiple sclerosis has not been established to date. Some experts believe that the disease has an autoimmune origin, while others tend to believe that its development is based on a virus that penetrates the human body. Multiple sclerosis progresses slowly enough and can last for a long time without any specific symptoms;
- Parkinson's disease is a chronic disease, accompanied by a violation of the patient's motor activity and gradually leading to its complete paralysis. The risk group for Parkinson's disease includes people over 55 years of age, but today there is a so-called rejuvenation of this pathology. There are cases of diagnosing Parkinson's disease in young people under 40 years of age. The main reason why the disease occurs is the natural aging of the body. Among the signs of parkinsonism: a violation of the functions of thinking and remembering, changing speech, stooping, trembling limbs, difficulty moving, depression, urinary incontinence.
Methods of treatment of memory deterioration
In itself, the deterioration of memory treatment in most cases does not require. Usually it is enough to eliminate the main cause of this condition. You can restore and improve memory functions by taking certain medications. Appoints such a doctor only after the diagnosis. They include substances whose action is aimed at improving the activity of the brain and enhancing its basic functions( lecithin, folic acid, vitamins A, B, E).Such drugs are dispensed from pharmacies without a specialist's prescription, but each of them has its own contraindications and not one side effect.
Parkinsonism and Alzheimer's disease, unfortunately, can not be cured completely. The main therapy of these diseases is aimed at slowing their development and preventing the occurrence of complications. Both pathologies gradually lead first to disability of the patient, then to a lethal outcome. Memory functions in the above diseases of the central nervous system recovery, as a rule, are not subject.
Which doctor should I contact if my memory becomes worse?
If memory deteriorates, you need to contact a neurologist, an endocrinologist or a therapist.